Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new ledengin 365nm LEDs

phenol

Bought a couple of these Ledengin newly released single emitter UV LEDs LZ1-00UV00-00U0 and some mating thermal substrates. each emitter should put out in excess of 500mW of optical power at 700mA in a 4.4x4.4mm package.
I will be using those to cure uv glues on random products that can't go thru the transport system on the UV glue curing oven we have at work.

will post pics as soon as i solder/power these leds up with a ZXLD1360ET5 -based driver

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 202
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 198

Nice :p , looks like a 4x4 gird of emitters or is it just electrical routs that make it look like that ?

I have a "10 Watt" 365nm Led from ledengin that uses 4 dies all in series with a Vdrop of 16.4 Volts @ 700mA , but they are larger than the ones in this led looking at the picture .

Last edited:

phenol

no, it's a single die LED with VF<4V, 23 quid off of mouser.

That's pretty cool. What color is it? I know my wavelengths from 400 - IR but never seen much under 405nm

Also I think your name is an active ingredient in sore throat spray. Just to let you know.

phenol

Some pictures of two UV leds running at approx 600mA. Pictures with ''old'' in their names refer to an earlier Ledengin model 1/3 the power of those new ones, same package.

it seems that their newest model emits some garbage well into the visible spectrum, hence the yellowish hue in the ''ffc'' picture where it illuminates a non-fluorescent FFC cable.
The low powered LED has no such artefacts.

Attachments

• ffc.jpg
    ffc.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 262
  • off.jpg
    off.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 810
  • old.jpg
    old.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 289
  • oldffc.jpg
    oldffc.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 253
  • on.jpg
    on.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 278
  • paper.jpg
    paper.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 327
  • wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 243
  • bill.jpg
    bill.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 292

ped

That's a great bit of kit.

Due to the nature of UV, and our eyes, you'd have to see it in person I suppose.

phenol

the ''color'' does not look particularly vivid, or pleasant for that matter...unless you are a flower loving bug, that is. In fact, staring at it even from a big distance makes my eyes feel sore. UV blocking goggles seem like an essential prerequisite with those leds.

I do have to agree that LEDs don't emit as pure of a single wavelength as a laser diode. Because I know if I shine a 470nm blue LED through some red laser safety glasses that block blue and green, you see some orange-yellowish light coming through. So LEDs DO leak some other wavelengths. While if I shine a 405nm laser through the glasses, you don't see any orange visible light coming through.

But damnnnnnnn you know how much a 365nm laser would cost? (I honestly want 265nm UVC tho)

Look at a 445 through goggles. It will look orange. LED's have a narrow band of emission, but not to the point of getting orange light from a UV LED. You can't compare 470 with 405, too great a wavelength difference there...

why would a blue LED leak orange light....maybe you don't realize how far apart those two colors are on the spectrum...

LEDs and laser diodes emit more than just their designed wavelength or wavelength range. Can be from fluorescent contaminants, doping contaminants, and I'm sure many other reasons.

24_zps32176f07.jpg

example from piferal's recent 405nm thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/4...rete-microscope-good-dof-30-photos-86393.html

Note the teal on the top left, and the feint, v-shaped emission inside the die. It is light, because it was recorded by the camera, but it is not the same color as the 405nm light emitted from the emission region.

Does anybody know who makes ledengin dice?

It *is* true; leds do "leak" wavelengths, especially blue and violet leds (or the further down the colour spectrum you start with). They emit pretty much a continuous spectrum which starts near its peak wavelength, and reach up to red. This can easily be confirmed by simply checking with a diffraction grating.
They have a dominant wavelength however, which is the advertised wavelength when you buy the led.

This is why (most) laser beams are true mono chromic, while leds are only sort of mono chromic.

Last edited:
The intensities can be magnitudes apart, but orange is there. Try viewing an LED through a diffraction grating and you'll see.

Yea right after I posted that, I googled it, and found that LED's emit light basically along the whole spectrum, just the one wavelength is dominant by far. I'll try that with a diffraction grating though, never thought about doing that :)

I got one of the older 10W LEDEngin 365nm LEDs a while back and found it helped a bit to use a UV-pass filter to keep all that visible light out. My filter wasn't perfect though -- a dichroic "woods glass" from Rosco that isn't right on 365nm. Using a photographic filter would be better, or an old Blak Ray filter on eBay as suggested on CPF.

Overall, I'd probably stick with fluorescent black lights next time. Those LEDs are really expensive, and the 10W heatsink for it was pricey too.