Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new laser prices on DX !

ben74

Thanks john! looks like i'll be make a 500mW IR burner [smiley=evil.gif]

let me know how it goes i wanted to do one also

note those are tricky to get apart (newish)pm me if you have trouble

ben74 said:
Thanks john!  looks like i'll be make a 500mW IR burner  [smiley=evil.gif]

No sure what kind of Diode it uses, hope it uses 5.6mm TO-18 package. ;)

Other than TO-18 it would be hard to collimate the beam.

I got my DX 5 today :D Says on it Max Output <1mW :(

They aren't wrong -- with their cells, avg power 0.7 mW . With e2 cells, 3.1 mW ;D

Mike

drop shipping removes the dx logo and makes things look nicer, they use a nice silver address sticker. It's for people who "DROP SHIP" and do not want customers to find out about dx.

I have bought a few of each kind of those newish dx types

the 200 is bad peaked about 150 then dropped

the 100 was closer about 85-95 then dropps

the true 50 one was 60 mw one was 45 mw its a gamble

the trure 30 was about 30 0r 35 ok

the reg 50 mw i bought about 40 of those almost all were over 55-65 mw
only three or four were underspec i would still be buying these if i could :'( :'(

john_lawson said:
they all have that same 500 i/r diode the efficiency determines the actual model

if one is really efficient say 150-200 mw output it will be branded a 150 or 200

usually sometimes you get a 100mw for the price of the 200mw -sometimes

Actually john, from what I have read and seen, not all the DX "NewWish" laser pens have the same diode. Most do indeed have the 5,6mm pump, but the DX True 50 (at least the one I have), has a 9mm pump diode. While they may indeed have the same output, they are not the same diodes. I think that some 5,6mm diodes are 250mw though?

I am actually quite happy with my true 50, its has been modded so many times and in so many ways now and is still working great. I made a "labby" out of it, and based on prelim testing I got a sustained output of 166mw for around 10minutes, after which the driver began to overheat (18650 batts at 4.2v). It has been potmoded for at least 150 days (got it right after joining forum, pot modded it quite soon as well), with heavy usage. So with the new price drop I highly recommend it. (though consistency is not DX's strong point).

But these price drops are pretty nice, goto say.

EDIT: Nevermind my post :-X, it would seem it is indeed a 5,6 in the laser. Wanted to re-check the accuracy of my statement, so I checked the module again and I cannot say for certain it is a 9mm in there (due to design). So listen to john.

the 200 mw is rumored to have a 1w pump as i had one about a year ago and it had the 9mm open can ir diode

f22 says the 200 mw is rumored to have a 1w pump. ;D is it a joke? is completerly false! it is just difficult to beleve that there cheap laser have 500mw pump. i think thay have a 100/150mw until 30mw tue... and max 250 for the other.500mw pump diode is used in laser pen branded laserglow...novalaser... optotronics.... but they cost about x5 more!

brtaman..........how did you do to put a 18560 battery in the true 50mw pen?AND..........HAVE YOU REALLY REACHED 166mw true? 4,2 volt are not too for the laser? i would buy a 10440 lithium....to use with a spacer.

can you telle me how to pot mod the true 50mw or the 100mw? i don't know what is the best to buy. but i think that IF the diode IS THE SAME from the 50mw to the (nominal) 200mw...... is the same thing to buy a 50mw or 100mw....if you can pot mod the laser. however do'nt understand what is the pot mod. i'm italian.. i don't see an explanation on the web. for example.....why optotronics for example have the portable laser from 160mw to 425 THAT ARE THE SAME MODEL, USE THE SAME PUMP DIODE at 2,5 volt.... BUT THE PRICE IS VERY DIFFERENT.

so.....we JUST PAY the difference for a different potentiometer?for a resistor/capacitor ( i'm not good with electronics) that can give MORE energy(amp) to the laser diode? i also seen in the net that there are some laser with a cross to turn. why?is it an ANALOG potentiometer?.....and with the second method...to BURN the power limit in the driver...the laser should reach the true power?... for example a 500mw diode is 500*30(efficiency)/100=150.
ineed you reached 166mw.... so the efficiency of tour laser is a bit more of 30 %. are all just my reasoning?

JLSE

The DX true 50 1 year ago also had the 9mm open caned IR pump. I was contemplatng a few purchases because of this inexpensive source.

The only problem is, if I have learned anything about the china lasers, is that they constantly change they way they make em.

The 200 probably does have it, but im hesitant about spending 60$ to find out. Their handhelds that are adjustable focus 50-150mW are 500mW pumps, so who knows if they even use 1W's anymore.
Either way its a cheap source for diodes, but considering the junk they sent me in my last few orders, I dont think I will be spending money on them anytime soon. :-?

Benm

The only problem is, if I have learned anything about the china lasers, is that they constantly change they way they make em.

This is annoying indeed. Often they change the inner design radically, but keep selling it as the same product, same partnumber, price and everything. It's frustrating when doing or reading reviews too, as there is no guarantee you'll get the same product the reviewer got.