Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New laser module half-working

I am honestly offended you think I am a troll. Laserbee, can you tell me how to focus the beam? It would be great if I could do that with my current module. If I can't, I'm returning it. All my prototype needs is a module (driver too if it is not included with the module) that can produce a focused beam.

Last edited:

" I know the basics of lasers" like what --they produce light that can burn things? How old are you?
Sounds like you trolling the forum or playing a joke more than anything else but maybe not.

So you have a module with diode you don't know what tp do with and may have ruined with direct application of electricity and a heatsink that may or may not fit into any host + misperceptions and daydreams about lasers and "burning" things?
Start over and research how to make/assemble a hand held laser would be a good idea then begin obtaining what you need.

You don't pay attention --as everyone has told you many times--there are no diodes with a circular output---so quit saying you want that--it doesn't exist except in your imagination.

You want a 2/4W hand held to "burn" things for whatever reasons--just buy/purchase one complete---or--you made a heatsink--so now prepare a host that will accept that heatsink with module and driver and contact boards + a battery and so on and assemble it --see for an idea of what is needed to be done: Survival Laser USA Home
OR use the LPF search function at the bottom of the page --there are hundreds of builds and many tutorials on how to accomplish same, there.
Look, I came here to get help-not to offend or troll anyone. It is childish of you to say such things, so be helpful and understanding like I have been trying to do.

Alex, this is a 4 watt laser. Those lenses would melt in no time. He needs glass lenses in housings. Those are plastic focusing mirrors and not lenses.

Last edited:

Encap

I am honestly offended you think I am a troll. Laserbee, can you tell me how to focus the beam? It would be great if I could do that with my current module. If I can't, I'm returning it. All my prototype needs is a module (driver too if it is not included with the module) that can produce a focused beam.

You keep asking nonsense general questions about some specific imagined result without identifying any actual result you want.

Of course the lens will focus the beam--you turn the knurled end that holds the lens to adjust the focus----what you mean by focus or want in the way of focusing for your imagined thing is anyone's guess.

Look, I came here to get help-not to offend or troll anyone. It is childish of you to say such things, so be helpful and understanding like I have been trying to do.

I said maybe not as well. Nobody knows what you want to do---all that can be said is get a driver for what you have --power it up and go from there. Yes you can make a laser that will burn things using the NUBM06 diode , module, and lens you say you have.

Talk about childish --there isn't anything to understand other than you have little if any idea of what you are doing or why and have not much of an idea of how to ask a meaningful question just vague generalities that have no detailed real answers.
You keep asking general questions about some imagined very specific thing that may not have any real answers as in the circular beam/round dot diode question.

Yes, you need a diode, a driver, and housing/module to install the diode in, and a lens to focus the output + a power source + a heat sink to avoid thermal runaway and destroying the diode.
Beyond that if you want a hand held laser you need a host that will accept all the other parts. and a battery. I gave you a lot of links. Look at them.

Get a driver for the module you say you have and run it and adjust the focus with the lens you have and go from there -at the moment you don't even know what you have does, much less what different you want.

The forum is not about babysitting and spoon feeding answers about the imaginary---you need to ask species specific questions to get the types of answers you want.

PS if you want the brightest most impressive beam get a 1W 520nm diode or a 532nm DPSS laser----either will be much brighter and more "solid" looking than your NUBM06 + easier on the eyes as well.

PPS you say you are not trolling the forum---what is this troll level idiot post then?
Say someone is threatening me with a gun or knife. Would it be justified to blind them with a powerful laser and run?

Last edited:
Alright, thanks. I thought that drivers protect diodes from thermal runaway? Heatsinking is more important then I previously thought. Clearly I'm not ready to build a laser, and I'm going with one of the links you gave me.

I do not know what you consider trolling around here. There are much worse sites with trolling problems- Name calling, flame wars and so on, but you think my question is trolling?

He said that he has goggles for a laser engraver.
Most of them are CO2 and his protection may not
be for the 450 nM wavelength.
Also he states that this is for engraving but then says
it is for a burning handheld to "pop and burn".
I'm confused.
HM

Last edited:
This site seems really cool, and lasing is my newest hobby. I don't want to be immidiately labeled as a troll here, so can I get a little slack? Now that everyone kind of backlashed, yes I see how stupid my question was. I don't have specific goals for this, this and my other laser is my intro to this whole thing. I don't even know what I want specifically, so I'm starting with a 450nm Blue 3000mw gatling series laser. I'm not a big stickler for safety, but I do have these goggles https://www.amazon.com/iRainy-Prote...439&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=laser+glasses&psc=1
Go ahead and tell me if I am stupid because I got the wrong glasses, tell me. I want feedback. Safety seems a bit more mandatory for lasers, unlike my other hobby- chemistry. I am used to safety being-for the most part-optional. I wear splash goggles every so often when I work with acids, almost never gloves :anyone: . So, friends?

if you are the real deal let's chat some time and get to know one another, so far you appear to be a troll bating poster wanting to squeeze more juice out of this.

diachi

This site seems really cool, and lasing is my newest hobby. I don't want to be immidiately labeled as a troll here, so can I get a little slack? Now that everyone kind of backlashed, yes I see how stupid my question was. I don't have specific goals for this, this and my other laser is my intro to this whole thing. I don't even know what I want specifically, so I'm starting with a 450nm Blue 3000mw gatling series laser. I'm not a big stickler for safety, but I do have these goggles https://www.amazon.com/iRainy-Prote...439&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=laser+glasses&psc=1
Go ahead and tell me if I am stupid because I got the wrong glasses, tell me. I want feedback. Safety seems a bit more mandatory for lasers, unlike my other hobby- chemistry. I am used to safety being-for the most part-optional. I wear splash goggles every so often when I work with acids, almost never gloves :anyone: . So, friends?

Yes... those are the wrong goggles, says right in the title "Glasses for Red Lasers"

I personally don't trust those cheap goggles even when they're the correct ones.

We are big on safety here, and for good reason. One slip and you can instantly inflict permanent eye damage. Seriously, it takes a tiny fraction of a second for damage to occur. One slip and you could be living with a large blind spot in your vision for the rest of your life. There is no way to repair that damage.

Do yourself a favor, read some of the safety related sticky threads before continuing.

If you're going to cheap out on laser goggles get the ~$40 eagle pair from Survival Lasers. I mean that when I say it, those are cheap as far as decent laser eyeware goes.

Last edited:
Wow, okay. Running short on money here, but safety first with these things for sure. I am fully aware the glasses are for red, my first laser is a 200 mW red laser. I know I said they are for laser engraving, but that was to get some people off my back. Sorry.

Also, would you trust the add-on button on laser pointer store for safety glasses?

Last edited:

diachi

Wow, okay. Running short on money here, but safety first with these things for sure. I am fully aware the glasses are for red, my first laser is a 200 mW red laser. I know I said they are for laser engraving, but that was to get some people off my back. Sorry.

Also, would you trust the add-on button on laser pointer store for safety glasses?

Why'd you mention those when they're not for the lasers we've discussed in this thread...? :confused:

Edit: Guess you edited before I noticed. :p

Laser+Damage+Healthy+retina+Retinal+hemorrhage+and+burn.jpg

Here's pricing for laser safety glasses from Thorlabs, they supply lasers and laser related optics/equipment to labs all over the world. High end stuff.

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=762

So really, truly, the Survival Lasers option is cheap.

Last edited: