Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New laser module half-working

diachi

Others have tried those glasses you linked and say they work, I don't trust them myself. I'll let others comment on those. They're just cheap junk again. Seriously, consider the Eagle Pair.

And no, you can't use your solar eclipse glasses. They aren't laser glasses. You need laser glasses.

This stuff has all been covered here before, do some searching, read the stickies, come back with some more informed questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

I answered this same question a couple days ago about using solar eclipse glasses as laser goggles and I told them a 1 watt laser would tear through them faster than black tape. Just to see, the guy tried it out on a pair and yes it tore through them in less than 2 seconds.

I also could use my eclipse glasses :drool:

Shaking head.. walking away...

images

Jerry

I miss cyps gifs!!! But yes use the search bar at the bottom.. spend some hours reading. Get decent glasses
. The survival laser glasses are real cheap compared to other legit laser glasses. Don't go cheap with safety. If you have a budget.. then cheap out on the laser not glasses. All the info one could want is in this thread a lone. Good luck

Oh, the seller of the glasses https://www.amazon.com/iRainy-Prote...qid=1505435127&sr=8-11&keywords=laser+glasses (these) said that the person that did the listing made an error (but apparently the person awnsering the questions who is labeled as the seller didn't make the listing? I am confused by this, so don't blame me) and that the protection wavelength is from 200-455 nm. So these cheapo glasses I got do protect from blue. I can barely even see the laser.

Encap

Oh, the seller of the glasses https://www.amazon.com/iRainy-Prote...qid=1505435127&sr=8-11&keywords=laser+glasses (these) said that the person that did the listing made an error (but apparently the person awnsering the questions who is labeled as the seller didn't make the listing? I am confused by this, so don't blame me) and that the protection wavelength is from 200-455 nm. So these cheapo glasses I got do protect from blue. I can barely even see the laser.

There are laser goggles and there are laser goggles.

Is up to you they are your eyes. If your eyesight is only worth $8.99 and a word from some confused BS anonymous amazon reseller who probably doesn't know what he is talking about and would trade your eyes for $2 in his pocket --- it is your choice.

Everybody has told you to be safe, get an Eagle Pair --which are low cost compared to expensive goggles see: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm OD5 Standard Laser Safety Goggles

Last edited:
I am honestly offended you think I am a troll. Laserbee, can you tell me how to focus the beam? It would be great if I could do that with my current module. If I Cn't , I'M RETURNING IT. All my prototype needs is a module (driver too if it is not included with the module) that can produce a focused beam.

returning it??? WE FROWN ON THAT CRAP BIG TIME== NO RETURNS ON DIODES== YOU ORDRED IT YOU OWN IT.
if you powered it (w/o a driver??)up even just once and for a short time.. who knows what damage you did..

Wow, okay. Running short on money here, but safety first with these things for sure. I am fully aware the glasses are for red, my first laser is a 200 mW red laser,I know I said they are for laser engraving, but that was to get some people off my back. Sorry.

WHOAWHAT>> DO I NEED TO PUT YOUR QUOTE HERE?? '200mW GREEN in Altoids box [[remember}}

Also, would you trust the add-on button on laser pointer store for safety glasses?

BTW are you a 'Stickler' for ANYTHING??
:undecided:

YOU still HAVE NOT FINISHED YOUR PROFILE btw

returning it??? WE FROWN ON THAT CRAP BIG TIME== NO RETURNS ON DIODES== YOU ORDRED IT YOU OWN IT.
if you powered it (w/o a driver??)up even just once and for a short time.. who knows what damage you did..

BTW are you a 'Stickler' for ANYTHING??
:undecided:

YOU still HAVE NOT FINISHED YOUR PROFILE btw

Thanks for letting me know. I have changed my mind since that post- the laser still works fine, but I am not using it again until I get my driver in the mail. I did know that if you use too high power you can fry the diode immidiately, but I am using a few volts and 6 amps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but thermal runaway only happens if you leave it on for too long. That is why I turn it on 1-5 seconds at a time every time I need to test it. If the lens and driver I got do not satisfy me with this laser, I will likely return it if I can.

Well, I am a pretty big stickler for geometric designs. Have you heard of zentangle?

Thanks for letting me know. I have changed my mind since that post- the laser still works fine, but I am not using it again until I get my driver in the mail. I did know that if you use too high power you can fry the diode immidiately, but I am using a few volts and 6 amps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but thermal runaway only happens if you leave it on for too long. That is why I turn it on 1-5 seconds at a time every time I need to test it. If the lens and driver I got do not satisfy me with this laser, I will likely return it if I can.

Well, I am a pretty big stickler for geometric designs. Have you heard of zentangle?
Thermal runaway occurs when the Laser Die heats
up and changes electrical characteristics and you
don't have a proper Current Regulated Power Supply.

There is no way a seller will accept a return of a
Laser after it has been powered up. Besides by
your own admissions you don't have the proper
test equipment or power supply to test the Laser
safely.

Jerry

Last edited:
There is no way DTR will accept a return from
this member seeing that DTR is a member here
and can read these posts... I wouldn't accept
a return for an abused product.

Jerry

Encap

There is no way DTR will accept a return from
this member seeing that DTR is a member here
and can read these posts... I wouldn't accept
a return for an abused product.

Jerry

Exactly no way will DTR allow a return.

Plus 4.5A is the maximum for a NUBM06 diode--6A would cause damage, reduced output, and reduced lifetime so.... not knowing what you are doing has it's price.

Last edited:
Yep, you are right. Hopefully I won't make that mistake again. I did order a 3 w blackbuck driver and a glass focusing lens, so hopefully that will work. In the meantime, I made a quick driver with a LM317 and a 10 ohm resistor. The beam is really weak and spread, but at least it won't break until my parts arrive.

Encap

Yep, you are right. Hopefully I won't make that mistake again. I did order a 3 w blackbuck driver and a glass focusing lens, so hopefully that will work. In the meantime, I made a quick driver with a LM317 and a 10 ohm resistor. The beam is really weak and spread, but at least it won't break until my parts arrive.

Really weak and spread could mean you LEDed it with 6A and it no longer lasing. Takes almost no time to ruin a diode with incorrect power source--even static electricity.

The maximum continuous current which can be managed by the lm317 is 1.5A and that is with a decent heatsink fitted--yes drivers need to be heatsinked also.

You will see what is what when you get the 3A blackbuck and run it. 4A would be better for a high output NUBM06 --3A will be lower output but OK.

Last edited:
Really weak and spread could mean you LEDed it with 6A and it no longer lasing. Takes almost no time to ruin a diode with incorrect power source--even static electricity.

The maximum continuous current which can be managed by the lm317 is 1.5A and that is with a decent heatsink fitted--yes driver need to be heatsinked also.

You will see what is what when you get the 3A blackbuck and run it. 4A would be better for a high output NUBM06 --3A will be lower output but OK.

True. I couldn't find a 4 amp driver at the moment, because DTR isn't selling at the moment. I also contacted him, and he pointed out that the one I bought is suppose to be rectangular. We'll see if I did any damage with the driver and lens (hopefully none :D )

Oh, and what I meant by weak and spread is with the 10 ohm resistor. If I were to give it 6 amps again it would be super bright (but I have learned not to do that). The spread is just the nature of the g-2 lens.

Last edited: