Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Gadget - 355/532/1064 Q-Switched YAG

diachi

Just received my latest "toy". A 355nm (Third Harmonic Generation) Q-switched DPSS Nd:YAG laser. 355nm is produced by sum frequency generation of 532nm+1064nm. So the process goes something like this:

scheme-of-the-experiment-setup-for-THG-property-measurements.png

808nm->1064nm->532nm+1064nm->355nm+532nm+1064nm

Lasers like this can sometimes be converted to do any one of those wavelengths, or all three at once.

Here's some teaser pictures, haven't had a chance to tear into it yet, had to get back to work...

Optics deck with cover on, pump diode visible.
PwgnA75.jpg

Close up of pump diode. Label power is 50W at 700-1000nm (it's 808). Haven't looked for any model numbers to confirm but my guess is that it's a 20-40W fiber coupled bar diode.
vZi3sSc.jpg

Closer view...
oLZ0fcT.jpg

Electronics section. Still need to figure out what everything is. Large board at the bottom looks to be the controller/Q-switch driver. Large board at the top appears to be the diode driver.
5lUGM5C.jpg

Didn't realize it was so big when I bought it, explains why shipping was nearly $100... Heavier than my argon and as long as my coffee table is wide.

Key switch and power connector were busted up when it arrived, but don't hear any loose optics rattling around in there (phew!). Have the power connector swapped out already, need to bypass the key switch. After that I need to defeat the interlock and figure out what (if any) serial commands it needs, as well as any trigger signals. Will also need to open up the optics deck to look for any signs of damage and investigate the cavity - interested to see how that's set up.

I have no documentation for this. If anyone has any information about these systems (Bruker SmartBeam) please let me know...

Stayed tuned for more! :beer:

Last edited:

Re: New Gadget - 355nm Q-Switched YAG

Impressive looking unit. I would be a little dismayed if I found damage to it, as that can be an indication of other damage you haven't found yet. If you don'y mind my asking, what did you give for it. I understand that shipping to your area is ridiculous. I hope it is in fairly good condition and you will be able to get it working.

diachi

Impressive looking unit. I would be a little dismayed if I found damage to it, as that can be an indication of other damage you haven't found yet. If you don'y mind my asking, what did you give for it. I understand that shipping to your area is ridiculous. I hope it is in fairly good condition and you will be able to get it working.

It was pretty well packed, but I'll just need to work on it and see if I can get it running.

By "give for it" I assume you meant "pay for it"? $102.50 USD + shipping. Even if it's dead, that big beefy switching supply and solid plate aluminum case alone are worth the price IMO. Would be a great platform for some DPSS projects if nothing else... :eg:

Hope I can get it working too. I'll post updates as I progress! At work for another hour and a half or so, going to tear into it as soon as I get home.

That was a steal, then. You will surely get $100 worth of items out of it even if you can't bring it back to life. I always love getting new projects like these when they arrive. It is almost like Christmas morning again. :yh:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Great buy, Diachi, I hope you get it sorted out and find that it's in good operating condition! :beer:

Keep us informed on your progress. :yh:

PM incoming with my APO, AE address, it's a piece of junk, I will take it off of your hands for proper disposal.

My favorite part is the soldering on those TO-220 parts. "The bigger the gob, the better the job"

If you could get some numbers off that main switchmode supply, that would tell you a lot more about what the pump diode is capable of.

diachi

PM incoming with my APO, AE address, it's a piece of junk, I will take it off of your hands for proper disposal.

Hah! :crackup:

My favorite part is the soldering on those TO-220 parts. "The bigger the gob, the better the job"

If you could get some numbers off that main switchmode supply, that would tell you a lot more about what the pump diode is capable of.

Yeah, had a little chuckle at that too. Those are a pair of 80A N-Channel power FETs, the larger component on the heatsink is the current sense resistor. Guessing the 2 pin TO-220 is a diode.

Already looked at the supply, didn't see any labels. If there's any there they are on the bottom.

I always love getting new projects like these when they arrive. It is almost like Christmas morning again. :yh:

Sure is! :beer:

Great buy, Diachi, I hope you get it sorted out and find that it's in good operating condition! :beer:

Keep us informed on your progress. :yh:

Thanks! :beer: New FlexDrive arrived yesterday too FYI, may need to move this big thing off the desk just to get the 495 finished.

UPDATE:

Bypassed the interlock, as far as I can tell. Managed to get the big relay between the diode and the power supply to close, also had some lights change on the board. It didn't release its magic blue smoke so that's a good sign!

vC0gHun.jpg

Also repaired the AC power socket and replaced the key switch. Reattached the nuts for the BNC connectors too, so that's nice and secure now.

qxmwrXx.jpg

So far, no serial communications. I'm going to need to figure out what's going on there, that seems to be what's holding me back. I noticed the RS232 port says "MODE/RS232", I'm wondering if they're using a non-standard pinout with some pin that sets the control mode.

lyuouVc.jpg

Control/Monitoring/Q-Switch
Diode Driver/Current Control - Linear
Switching Regulator (Drops 12V supply to ~4V for better efficiency in the diode driver)
Temperature Control

All of the communication from the control board to the diode driver and temperature controllers looks to be RS232 as well, though I haven't been able to get anywhere there either...

Going to pull the control board and have a stab at the communications again later...

Thanks for the new photos and the update. Now that I can see more of it, much of what I was trying to picture in my mind is much clearer now. Good luck. ;)

$100 + shipping is an awesome deal for that thing! Can't wait to see updates on this, hopefully you get some output from it!

I'd sure like to know how you came across that unit, I've been searching ebay fairly regularly for such things, never saw that one.

BIG wires and buss bars indicate BIG fun.
Good luck turning it on and watch out
for the UV.
HM

diachi

$100 + shipping is an awesome deal for that thing! Can't wait to see updates on this, hopefully you get some output from it!

Right!? Going to take a break from this one until tomorrow and work on the 495 build tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to opening up the optics...

Need to pull the control board and take a look at the RS232 end to see if I can figure out what's going on. Maybe double check I didn't miss anything with the interlock. Getting ~1.35V across the diode, so I'm getting something from the driver at least, should be 1.8-2.2V for normal operation though.

If I can't get anywhere myself I may reach out to some of the electronics engineers I know here in town for help, those guys actually know what they're doing! :whistle: :crackup:

I'd sure like to know how you came across that unit, I've been searching ebay fairly regularly for such things, never saw that one.

I actually came across a different unit before this one, it was the newer version of a similar system (SmartBeam II). Checked the seller's other items, as you do, and noticed he had this going at the same time. Good thing too, seeing as I didn't win the first unit (Bid $125, outbid by $2.50).

Here's the listing I originally found, maybe that'll provide some insight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/s/282870731846

I usually sort by "newly listed" when searching for used gear on eBay, you might try that! :beer:

BIG wires and buss bars indicate BIG fun.
Good luck turning it on and watch out
for the UV.
HM

Yeah! Definitely some serious powers involved here.

Agreed on the UV, don't want to mess around with it at these powers!

SAGcNBb.jpg

Label power is of course higher than the true power, but that's still a lot of power at 355nm... Wonder what it'd do at 1064nm or 532nm.

diachi

I got it working!

After spending some time checking the RS232 port to see if there was anything weird going on I decided to hook it back up to see if I could get anything from the RS232 interface. Had it all hooked up, ended up just mashing buttons and it gave me some German words back! Success!! A few minutes later I had the help screen up and had it all running.

Also got the cover off earlier for a look at the optics and some pictures. Optics look to be in perfect condition, even after what seemed to be a rough journey. Next task is to remove the 1064/532nm filter, but first, pictures!

Output, fluorescing a piece of paper:

Jyxhe9H.jpg

Optics as viewed from the side:

bXRENSW.jpg

Fiber input/HR mirror(?)/YAG:

ZN347pl.jpg

Q-switch, turns out it's an EO Q-switch and not an AO Q-switch:

uUZ9hFW.jpg

SHG and THG crystals in their mounts/heater blocks:

iT28rDt.jpg

Output filter, this part filters out the remaining 532/1064 leaving only the 355.

nEuLdl6.jpg

View from the front:

Cr8iWPj.jpg

View from the top:

MQGUSPY.jpg

Finally, my bench with everything hooked up. Signal generator for generating the external Q-switch signal (has internal too), scope monitoring the Q-switch output, monitor has serial connection and controls for the signal generator. Excuse the mess.

yxioKF6.jpg

That is amazing. And I am soooo jealous. Man, I just got called down for suggesting someone try eBay to get a UV laser like this one, and you have it all working. :na: