Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New and need some help!

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum and I have some questions! I just ordered the green 50mw FLX model from rayfoss. I should have it in about 5-7 days. I would like to know how important it is to have safety glasses with THIS laser(not just any laser).

I know in general it's important to as some can harm your eyes just by looking at the dot on the wall while other less powerful lasers won't harm your eyes.(will this laser hurt my eyes just by looking at the dot on the wall?)

One thing that surprised me is that this 50mw laser has the capapbility to burn! (as shown in this review) ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDo1TXZk-kY
I wouldn't have expected that. since it can burn does that mean that it is over 50mw? If i do need glasses, where is an inexpensive pair that I can buy from a US dealer that will give good protection? Thanks for any help I can receive!

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum. Goggles are always recommended for lasers >5mW. DragonLasers sells some cheap goggles

A tip for you on the forum, paragraphs. People will not read your entire post if it is a "brick" if you break it up into paragraphs, more people will read it

Last edited:
welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If your are planning to buy anything on the
Forum.... PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

Yes... it would be prudent to buy appropriate Laser Safety
Goggles/Glasses...

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Thanks for the welcome!
can you answer specifically? I stated I know i should get some goggles no matter what, but will I hurt my eyes just by looking at the dot on the wall? Any other answers in addition to my original post would be greatly appreciated!

anybody that tells you "you do not need goggles" is being irresponsible. Accidents happen. the only time goggles are not required for you is for star pointing or anytime viewing the beam is what you are trying to do.

michael.

I don't want to sound rude here but i keep getting the same response and its frustrating:scowl: Please stop telling me I need goggles no matter what, I KNOW THIS ALREADY. read my original post and answer my questions specifically. Im going to get goggles because i know i need them but no one has answered even 1 question i originally asked. Thanks

Mo13

1. I would like to know how important it is to have safety glasses with THIS laser(not just any laser).

2. (will this laser hurt my eyes just by looking at the dot on the wall?)

3. since it can burn does that mean that it is over 50mw?

4. If i do need glasses, where is an inexpensive pair that I can buy from a US dealer that will give good protection?

1. It is very important.

2. If the wall is within 30ft (approx. 10m) of you, then yes. Looking at the dot on a wall (especially a white wall) will leave spots in your vision and can cause a dizzying effect, as well as cause physical pain in your eyes.

3. Not necessarily. 50mW is enough to burn thin plastic and pop balloons from short distances (usually under 10ft).

4. As stated before, DragonLasers sells some cheap goggles. Probably the cheapest you'll find that guarantee protection.

green lasers emit ir also. you may not have to feel pain to actually cause damage. so there really is now way to know your specific laser with out testing you exact one.

its your eyes man, do what you want. if you want to risk staring at a dot on a wall then by all means do it. if you couldn't come up with that conclusion on your own from all the other answers you were given, then maybe you are in the wrong hobby.

michael.

I'll say this: My eyes still work perfectly fine after staring at many laser dots, on many walls.

If you are going to be working with any laser you *should* wear safety glasses. This is especially true if you are doing anything close up like burning.

Realistically, *if* this is a 50mw laser, you most likely won't wear them, even if you have them. Let's face it, most of the fun in lasers comes from being able to see the beam / dot. At 50mw you aren't going to see much of anything with the glasses on. How likely this laser is to only do 50mw (and not leak a ton of more powerful nearly invisible IR) is another story.

Remember anything over 5mw is dangerous to your vision. You can hurt yourself and others around you, even with only 50mw. Glasses are the only 100% sure way to not hurt yourself.

If you do forgo the glasses, just try and use some common sense with it. Don't point it at anything living, any cars, planes, ect, and avoid objects that might reflect even small amounts of laser light back at you.

if you are close to the laser for example indoors. looking at the dot wont hurt you like for example you wont start clutching your eyes trying to stop the pain but it will be very very bright and u will briefly get that effect when u look at the sun its like a purple flashing effect. So yes they are important. The laser i got is so powerful to my eyes that i cannot even look at the dot it is just too bright. i have to look a little under it so my eyes dont hurt :/

i know this cause i just got my laser a couple days ago

Thanks everyone for the answers! (especially Mo13 :D ) My laser just arrived from rayfoss today and it is great! I also just ordered 3 pairs of green laser safety glasses from focal price as the glasses had good reviews and they were cheap. (extras for others if they are watching and also incase I break one on accident)

Thanks for the help chipdouglas! :) I don't want this to come across the wrong way but I'm here because im new to lasers. I know about basic safety but i just didn't know how much- if at all- it would hurt my eyes by looking at the dot. I know my questions probably sound dumb because you've been in this for a long time but hey, everyone has to start somewhere! Have some patience with me!:worthy: Thanks again!

Have fun, ask questions, people will help and awnser any questions. Good luck and welcome!