Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new 1.4w laser - will any safety glasses do?

zhxwn

Hey!

Ive recently purchased a laser pen from Sci-Fi Lasers. (1.4w-1.8w blue 445nm)

I now need to buy safety glasses but will any do? Can I buy a couple of cheap ones off ebay? do they need a specific rating?

I was hoping to buy 3 pairs of £1.99 ones off ebay, to protect friends eyes when they are with me.

need to order them quickly so any advice is appreciated

thanks in advance

zhxwn

Last edited:

Hey!

Ive recently purchased a laser pen from Sci-Fi Lasers. (1.4w-1.8w blue 445nm)

I now need to buy safety glasses but will any do? Can I buy a couple of cheap ones off ebay? do they need a specific rating?

I was hoping to buy 3 pairs of £1.99 ones off ebay, to protect friends eyes when they are with me.

need to order them quickly so any advice is appreciated

thanks in advance

zhxwn
No. Do your homework. Look at the Laser safety threads for how to choose the right kind. Four dollar safety glasses don't sound right.

zhxwn

No. Do your homework. Look at the Laser safety threads for how to choose the right kind. Four dollar safety glasses don't sound right.

Yeah I am doing my homework. Just asking some more experienced people for information they may be willing to share.

lol

You must buy safety glasses for the wavelength you are operating and the proper OD (optical density) for your power level. For you 1.8W at 445 nm you need an OD of 3.26 minimum. So if I were you, you need to get glasses of OD 4+ for 445 nm to be safe. You can't go ultra cheap and expect that they will protect you. You want to get the best glasses you can afford. Your laser is more than dangerous to your eyes if you are not protected properly at that power level.

Yeah I am doing my homework. Just asking some more experienced people for information they may be willing to share.

lol
You should never get those goggles you mentioned. At the very least, get Uvex S0360X or Uvex S1933X. However, I would recommend Eagles Pair. Personally, I got Uvex S1933X for my friends to use when I am 'showing off' my 445nm laser.

Hi,
Don't put a price tag on you eyes buy a good pair . Survival Lasers has them for specific Wavelengths go to his website. You should have read about safety before building. If you can't afford two pairs let your friend look and study the beam while your not looking take turns using them until you can get more . Or better yet don't be in such a hurry safety first my brother, you and your friend will appreciate our hobby more.
Be safe first please :))

zhxwn

Does anyone know where I can get them shipped to the UK ASAP? Ive seen a few but they say it'll take a couple of weeks, my laser should be here before then and I want protection from the word go

thanks again guys

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
zhxwn, you may want to take a look at Odicforce, they are based in the UK. :)

Last edited:

zhxwn

Thanks for the recommendation Bowtie, those Eagle Pair from Odiforce are on their way, I feel a lot happier knowing that I can protect myself/friends and have fun with the laser.

Thanks again everyone! So stoked to get my laser I think I may make a review for others looking at getting this laser! if the laser is as good as the customer service so far, WOW. :)

Pman

Thanks for actually listening to good advice. I'm serious. Too many people don't listen and buy the cheapest stuff they can. +REP

zhxwn

It wasn't as much fun as buying the laser but I'll have more fun using the laser when I know my eyes are safe. Thanks for the rep!

If you are new to the hobby, then welcome. Very glad to hear you've bought some Eagle Pair glasses. They are brilliant. NEVER GO CHEAP on eye protection, it is so important. Sci Fi make great lasers, you've bought from a good seller. A little tip for you, always un-focus it prior to storing it (batteries out), that way when you insert the batteries and get ready to use it, you know it isn't going to accidentally ignite anything til you focus it yourself.

Just remember to use it responsibly. Never use it in a public place, the misuse of a laser can be classed as a firearms offence under UK legislation. It's an offence to distract or target air traffic, ground vehicles, vessels at sea, or individuals for that matter with a laser. The laws here in the UK are fairly relaxed, but they want to impose further restrictions. So be safe and enjoy :D

It's a Class 4 laser you own, as it's over 500mW, class 4 has no upper limit on power. Always pop on your glasses before switching on the laser, and remove the batteries before taking them off. The only time you should enjoy it without glasses is outdoors, and even then, you really do have to be careful where you aim it. Never aim it at the horizon, you've no idea what may be a few miles down the road, and you could easily hit a person in the eye by accident and cause flash blindness.

Safety blurb out of the way, really happy to see another UK member on LPF :) it's great here, tons of information and helpful, friendly people. You'll love it here, and it'd be great to get you into the hobby.

Davidx

Welcome and thanks for listening to the previous people who told you where to get quality safety glasses. This forum is where I found about Eagle Pair.
Lots of good information here.
Myself and a fair bit of cash have separated since I found this place.
The safety glasses were the smallest investment. :)

Arcahn

Welcome to the hobby, and as others have stated numerous times, thank you so much for being responsible with your new laser! Hope you enjoy it and wow some friends!

any made for lasers that cover blue AND costs ~$300 and they will work well for most all visible wavelengths-

its marked on the frame--
none are really needed if 5 mW or less.
what you have will will cook the liquid in your eye the same as the white of an egg changes to white. -worst is dead center horizntal beam -like a mag glass and the sun-- power is 1000 times more mW-- and cheap glasses wont help you much should that happen.