Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need specific drivers

What can I say, I live in a capitalistic country.

Anyways, since your going to have them back in stock in ~15 days there is really no reason for me to even bother.

Thanks for the update Lava. Now I know how to get a response :D

rhd

BH: Does it matter at this stage? There are so many alternatives now. Flexdrives maybe great, but we've got a lot of great drivers out now.

The only thing I'm seeing as an exclusive use-case for the flexdrive that other options can't meet, is the single-cell RED build. That's hard to do with 1 cell, since linears will always drop too much voltage to hit the peak of the PIV curve.

At one point I would have bought the argument that re-purposed LED drivers will kill our diodes. But at this stage, there's so much practical experience / evidence to show that they work, are reliable, and don't toast our lasers.

Last edited:
I received a Digikey parcel yesterday with lots of ICs, fets, schottky diodes, inductors, etc. I piggy-backed on a company order so didn't have to pay the international shipping costs ;)

If all goes well I might have a single cell adjustable 1-2A capable boost converter prototype ready by next week. It is aimed at 445nm builds.

I can already tell you guys it won't be as small as a flexdrive, but it will definitely be as small as physically possible. I'm hoping to get it squeezed into the same diameter as a NJG-18 or similar driver. That way it will at least fit some 18650 hosts.

Some one any one...

You sir, need a flex drive.

I'm openly declaring that LPF needs to design it's own......

I'm also very close to mailing off a flex drive to someone to reproduce, since I play dirty now.

not to mentions that dr. lava makes thousands of dollars off of us and has almost 0 contact with his customers....hes off playing at PL.

I posted this in an off-topic thread, but based on a post in this thread, it seems to be appropriate here, too:

Hi guys! Wow, I'm sorry to see the hate has gotten a little thick around here, and it appears that some people, even a business owner might be trying to take advantage of it as an excuse to copy designs. wow!

The fact is I've had to take a break from selling these for the last month or two because finishing my degree took precedence. I apologize for the delays/inconvenience/laserache that has caused some of you, thank you for your thoughts. I'm happy to tell you that that is over and done with now, things are rolling, and I have a LOT of PMs to go through

The drivers are being made right now and I expect to be able to start sending out more of the V5's in about 15 days. Not only that, but a few people have signed up to be distributors, and these people are a lot better with communications on here than I have been able to be, so that is an additional bonus.

I remember when I made the first buck/boost laser driver on this board, back when it was considered a hobby for most people, a fun passtime. People responded with great enthusiasm to the extra capability such a thing provided to the hobby. Fast forward to this year, and it appears lasers have become quite a bit more than a hobby to a lot of people, to the point where they would threaten to undertake ethically questionable practices to 'feed the need'. I think that no matter what stories are made up, it is important to maintain ones ethics like many have in fact done on this board.

I'm especially saddened to see a post:
"I'm also very close to mailing off a flex drive to someone to reproduce, since I play dirty now." from Matthew Ohrenberg, a guy I think (thought?) is a pretty good guy. I haven't read on this forum recently, so I can't tell what may have changed in your life, maybe the bad economy's turning you cynical? It's so easy to get tunnel vision in a small community like this, but everyone should, and most people do, realize that there is a lot more to the world than pointers. If you find yourself abandoning ethics to 'feed the need' then it might be a good idea to look over the famous 12-step program to recovery.

All that said, lasers and the construction of them are a very enjoyable hobby and I'm working to improve driver availability to meet the expectations of members through helpful members like FlaminPyro, who will most likely become a distributor and contact for these drivers.

Also, I will go through every single PM and respond as appropriate to your questions as soon as possible.

If you have a question about a driver, PM, or anything else specific to you, please either be patient if you have PMed or PM me and I WILL get back to you.

Best wishes to all!

That's good to hear! I have a lot of unanswered PM's dating back at least 4-5 months ago. I know life gets in the way... but waiting 5 months for a reply (Which i still need!) is a little unacceptable. But I am def happy these will be back in stock soon. I think I will stock up, that way I always have some on hand!

-Adrian

BH: Does it matter at this stage? There are so many alternatives now. Flexdrives maybe great, but we've got a lot of great drivers out now.

The only thing I'm seeing as an exclusive use-case for the flexdrive that other options can't meet, is the single-cell RED build. That's hard to do with 1 cell, since linears will always drop too much voltage to hit the peak of the PIV curve.

At one point I would have bought the argument that re-purposed LED drivers will kill our diodes. But at this stage, there's so much practical experience / evidence to show that they work, are reliable, and don't toast our lasers.

I need the small size of the flexdrive for my smaller builds :p