Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need some help to put together a laser scanner

You'll need a DAC (the device which allows the computer to communicate with the scanner). Here's a tutorial on how to build a soundcard DAC yourself..

some advice

contact laserpic, just search for them on google they will be the first result. im sure you will get a better price.

also the 20k scanners are pretty poor and you would be better to get 12k. people have done lots of testing on the 20k scanners and they come in at something like 15k.

laserpic do z30 (30k) scanners shipped for £150.

Ok since your telling me Andy that the laserpic scanners are better, I might purchase them; for the moment I am waiting for the price in canadian dollars. Will I still need a sound DAC card? And I also read on the forum that the new version of Spaghetti will work with DMX control boards. Are the 2 amp board that come with the Z30 or CW20 DMX control boards or will I need to add a DAC card (BTW what is a DAC function?)

Could somebody provide me a wiring diagram or some explanations on what all the parts do? Because I'm kind of lost...

Regardless of the type of scanner you end up using, you will still need a DAC to enjoy the full range of what the laser is capable of. I described the DAC function in post #2. The 2 boards that come with the scanners are the scan amps and are not the same as a control board or DAC. I'll explain more later tonight after work..

scanners and dac are totally different.

scanner comes as galvos, two amps one to drive each galvo and PSU to power the amps. some scanners come as a single amp but again it still drives each galvo. the set may also come with a DMX controller, again completely different to a DAC

a dac is wired to the amps and all it does is control the galvos and modulation of the lasers.

Things

Anbody got a schematic for the correction amp? I can make it on my own, which would be less expensive.

I would advise against doing it yourself. I tried it myself, and you end up with a huge mess of point-to-point wiring, which isn't any good when you are working with signals that have to be perfect. I bought just the correction board, and decided to buy all the components locally. Bad idea, it cost me over $50 in components.

I would recommend at least getting the board from lava, if not the complete kit. If you want to buy the components yourself, you will need to ask drlava to supply you with one of the little DC/DC converters, as they aren't too common. You'll also need:

3x TL072
1x LM7905
6x 50K multiturn potentiometers
6x 10K multiturn potentiometers
4x 10uF tantalum capacitors
6x 10K resistors
6x 20K resistors
Pin headers

For a complete RGB projector, you would need to build 6 of these circuits (TL072's are dual opamps)

Audio_coupler.png

Last edited:
Sound cards work but you'll end up spending around $100 for the parts, box, soundcard, etc, and then it will be a pain in the butt to calibrate and configure. Just save an extra $150 or so and get something like a RIYA or EasyLase. It will let you do stuff like TTL and DMX and then you will be able to take advantage of Spaghettis new features that are coming out.

I know probably more than anyone about Spaghetti. :)

Sound cards work but you'll end up spending around $100 for the parts, box, soundcard, etc, and then it will be a pain in the butt to calibrate and configure. Just save an extra $150 or so and get something like a RIYA or EasyLase. It will let you do stuff like TTL and DMX and then you will be able to take advantage of Spaghettis new features that are coming out.

I know probably more than anyone about Spaghetti. :)

gary has a very good point and i agree with him get a proper dac.

i think i am also correct in saying moncha works with spaghetti?

Yes, the Moncha DAC works very well with Spaghetti. But, it does not work with any other programs besides the Moncha application and does not have TTL or DMX support.

It's a matter of what software you want to run and what devices you want to control, really. All of the DACs have their pros and cons.

Well I could get the scanner that I linked in my first post. They come with a DMX card. All I will have to do is to wait for the new Spaghetti.

When do you think it will be out (if you have any idea about it yet)?