Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need some guidance please!!!

You will ABSOLUTELY need glasses for burning. Just because you don't plan on hitting your eye doesn't mean it won't happen. And when burning you are working close to the material just the reflection alone can cause damage.

Lets say you are using the laser, set it on the table to adjust whatever you are burning, it rolls off and as you reach for it BAM. It's far too risky. You only get 2 eyes.

To be honest, as long as your diode will fit in an aiXiZ module you can put it in just about anything you want. Take a look around the pro shops a lot of the guys here have kits. Survival lasers also has hosts available.

To add on the well pointed fact by Javalin, check out Survivallasers.com, they have some nice Eagle Pair goggles which protect different wavelength's and are at a great price! :beer:

if you would like to build a great "starter laser" buy this:
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/3-8mm-650nm-300mw-diode
along with a driver and a cheap host/heat sink and you'll be popping balloons in no time.
c6 hosts are really cheap and a driver for your diode (350mA max) is easily found. you get all this and i'll send you a heatsink for the c6 for free.
you just have to search for a driver. and goggles for 650nm.
search - buying a dvd drive hoping you can get something useful out of it tells me you haven't partaken of the awesome amount of info here

The OP could probably get by without the press, and if they aren't worried about the 780 that's in the aiXiZ then a removal tool isn't needed either. The OP isn't pushing a diode in the 500+mW range so while heat will be a concern as always, it won't be quite the issue as with a 1W M140... Having said that they do make life 1000 easier and you don't risk damaging the diode.

Cheech - You got +rep on the way from me for offering the free c6 heat sink. It's good to see a new member being taken care of.

Yeah. When I first got here nothing was handed to me. Still no freebies as of yet (fingers crossed) please wear safety and use safety religiously.

Well i tore apart thus dvd burner unit and these lasers are nothing like what i habe read about... i ordered the one that was suggested. Seems like a much eaiser rout! Thank you so much. Cant wait to build this thing?!!!

Tmack

Good mover ordering a diode " meant to be used " for a project. Those DVD burner diodes can be tricky. I went through all the trouble of extracting one to find it was damaged from the start. Dtr is my one stop shop now.

Ok guys i got the diode today. All excited i tore apart one of my mini flashlights that has 8 leds in it and takes 3 AAA batteries. I took the holder out of the light and hooked it to the laser. It was very bright for a second then and now its very dim. Did i burn it out somehow? Surely it can handle that amount of power? Am i wrong? How r u guys powering your lasers?

Tmack

What driver did you use??????

Lmfao me and javalin had simultaneous heart attacks

Last edited:
No.. i didnt :-( i got that too but thought it wouldnt hurt to try it out first. Tried just a single AA but nothing happened.

Tmack

The diode is power hungry. It will take all the power it can till it kills itself.

What kind of diode?

Dtr sells drivers prewired to the module. Definitely should go that route next time.

Last edited:
You have obviously not read ANYTHING here. Kind of serves you right. Your diode is now an expensive LED. :beer:

Tmack

Oh i see. He only wasted $21 . But all the waiting and anticipation. Just think some people screw up 9mm, or even a m140 would suck!

Alrighty then. I will order another and wire it to the driver i got first lol. Thanks guys. Serves me right... yup

You live and you learn :) I've killed diodes, mostly in over driving them. It's only a minor set back.