Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with my burning green laser!!

Hi! :)
So I just got my 200mw 532nm green laser module from DX, and I wanted it to use it to make a burning laser. I assembled the laser and everything but it isnt working and I really wanna know how to fix it/whats wrong with it. This is the laser I attempted to build -----> DIY: How to Build a Burning Laser Without any Soldering! - YouTube . I accidently dropped the module while taking it out of the package. After that, the wires fell off while I was assembling the laser. I soldered the wires back on, and after I did everything it still didnt work. This is extremely urgent, and I would appreciate any help at all. Did it break when it fell????
Thank You in advance!! :D
(p.s. This is the first time I build a laser)

Yeah, it's probably toast. Green laser modules have a lot going on inside them requiring precision alignment. It's possible something got knocked loose or misaligned when you dropped it. Don't look into it! It's very dangerous.

I'm curious as to why it's so extremely urgent that it get fixed though. :)

Last edited:
Well its urgent because it was supposed to be my science fair project, which is due in 2 days.

well, its unlikely you killed the diode from a short fall, assuming you went opening your package from the atop of a ladder. The solder connections seem to be poor at best , so there goes the DIY -No Solder project. Even with limited soldering skills you should be able to re-solder most of the connections. I would also solder any connection i can easily access this will actually work to make your laser perform better. At the moment you don't have a working laser. Star with the detached connections and solder. Then give it a good once over for faulty or poor connections, if in doubt resolder! After you can test the diode and hopefully you fixed the problem. Otherwise you need to bypass components and power your diode directly if you have a stable power source although you can and should be be able to power direct from good power source to the diode. Let us know what you find and maybe a few pics of the culprit

Last edited:

Fiddy

you dont have the polarity of the module mixed up do you?

AnthoT

you dont have the polarity of the module mixed up do you?

Yea I've gotten modules from them and dropped them and they worked so you should double check the polarity :)

-Anthony

benmwv

Turn off the lights and hold the module really close to a piece of paper or something and connect the batteries. If you see some red light coming out of it it might as well be fried.