Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with design for GF's laser...

Pretty sure this forum is very public. Googling a laser question often brings an LPF thread. A lot of times google does a better job than the search function.

I think we should sticky this thread and retitle it " How to get yout GF to love lasers" :D

Last edited:
Pretty sure this forum is very public. Googling a laser question often brings an LPF thread. A lot of times google does a better job than the search function.

i was being sarcastic, guess it wasnt clear... i will edit the post now ;)

yea i saw the dilda one coming :D

i would suggest getting one of flaminpyros "conical" focus rings. that makes this present a lot more useful :)

:beer: Justin

Last edited:
I'm hoping he uses some good grade o-rings for this build... I would also suggest a fixed focus so you can more easily waterproof the laser. You could always have a custom host made also so that it doesn't... say... outsize anything.

Real note: Personally, I don't like relying entirely on conductivity through a host/heatsink so I always add a negative lead to the contact PCB just to be sure.

Last edited:
This thread is becoming more awesome by the post. ApexProxy, maximum LOL.

On-topic, just solder a small SMD capacitor between the positive and neg/case pins of the diode. Calculate the needed resistance appropriately, IIRC 12.5 ohms works beautifully for PHR diodes.

That's about it.

Let me know if you need any ... groooves... machined into the host.

IsaacT

Update for all who are interested:

I have taken a break on building the laser to go visit her for the weekend(she doesn't need it while I am here :p ). I'll see about making more progress on the build when I get back. I fear however, that I may have blown the diode somehow. We'll see. For now everything fits but nothing lases.

And the ridges on the Titanium Ice build are a bit too thin(and abrasive) to be used realistically for the implied purpose listed above.

-Isaac

Last edited:
I built my wife a greenie. I ordered a few cheep pointers from ebay and gutted one, then I put the module inside of a tiny little LED flash light. She loves it. I did the same for my 445nm build. It's fun wandering around hardware stores exploring different flashlights and wondering how they would do for laser hosts.

Titanium would work well since as far as I know it is super corrosion resistant. Your next best bet would be aluminum since its also light and corrosion resistant especially if its anodized. You should probably set the host up with two switches so its auxilary function can be used separate from the laser function. Just be sure you use a nice waterproof switch as well as add in some silicone sealent around any seams. If you use a copper heatsink be sure to run the laser for a good duty cycle before using its auxilary function otherwise it might be awefully cold. Also if it is a copper heatsink be sure to give it a nice coating to protect it since copper is super corrosion prone.

How were you powering the diode when you think you killed it? Or did was it water damage for a bad seal?

If it really is dead you could switch to a 9mm 445nm build instead so it creates some nice heat during use.

I don't have exp with that particular diode but does it still output anything like its LEDd or is it totally dead? It could also be your power source that's acting up.

Last edited:

IsaacT

Was powering it with 2x 18350 batteries. They were fully charged. Also, important to note that the host is not Titanium, Mrcrouse just called the Titanium Ice Kits so that is how I refer to them.

Isaac

-Could it have been death by spike perhaps?
-Did you remember to short the driver before connecting it? If you have any capacitors on it yet that is.
-Did you run your driver on a test load to make sure it was outputting the desired current?
-Death by ESD?
-Maybe you didn't have a solid connection to your driver and you got a small interrupt in your power supply and the variance caused a spike that killed it? (especially easy if you lack a capacitor on the diode from what I hear that smooths out the power a lot)

Those are my immediate thoughts whenever something like this happens. Its so easy for any one of those to cause a diode death and unfortunately its so easy to have one of them accidentally occur. If the diode really is dead why not try a M140 run at like 700mA? It would be able to run like that for an insane amount of time and its a very resilient diode anyway. I would always suggest the lowest possible current if the laser is for someone who you would want the diode to survive for a very long time. Lasers that are for pyros/super nerds(aka me)/or people with lots of cash I say crank the hell out of the diode and make it spectacular.

Also, as long as the host is smooth enough and has good enough seals it should do well. Also keep in mind you need to allow space for the auxiliary function circuit. Just remember how different metals react to frequent (depending on how often you are around) contact to liquid and use a non-toxic metal sealant on the outside if necessary.

Last edited:
Also, as long as the host is smooth enough and has good enough seals it should do well. Also keep in mind you need to allow space for the auxiliary function circuit. Just remember how different metals react to frequent (depending on how often you are around) contact to liquid and use a non-toxic metal sealant on the outside if necessary. [deleted]

EDITED - LOL.

I blame the lack of capacitor in the first place - 405nm are more sensitive than women. Could be that minor power instabilities fried it.

Last edited:
Last edited: