Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with blocked ports!

So I just got a new IP camera (Axis 211) and set it up last night. Everything is working fine and I can see the camera in my local internet just fine using my internal AND EXternal IP's. I set up port forwarding for remote viewing over the internet and once I did that is when I could use the EXternal IP to connect to the cam.

So this morning I go to work and try and connect to the camera only to find out that my ISP has port 80 blocked so even though i can see it in my Local home network, when I leave that network I can no longer connect to my (external)IP address.

So my question to the computer gods is....How do I get around this blocked port:thinking:

:thanks:

Many ISPs block that port to prevent people from hosting websites or large servers.

I figured that out already, I called them Before I posted this and got the list of blocked ports:
135-139

Thats another problem....Im trying to figure out how to change the port. I have been looking through the advanced options all day and cant find how to do it.

So this is what I am looking at.....Everything looks fine to me. What am I doing wrong.

1.jpg

2.jpg

On your router's port forwarding/virtual server feature, you *may* be able to forward an external port (say, 8080) to port 80 on the internal network. If this isn't possible then you'll want to speak to your camera manufacturer's support staff. If they can't help then a custom firmware for your router may offer the port-changing feature, I think the project is known as OpenWRT.]

Edit: Yes, this is possible under OpenWRT, but unless there is an other way then it's a complex option. What model is your router?

Last edited:
I know on my Belkin routers it is possible to forward an external port (say 8080) to a different internal port number (say 80). If you can do this in your router, then you can access the camera by http://YourExternalIP:8080/

I know that the "custom" firmware for routers, known as OpenWRT supports this kind of forwarding. If you are comfortable with the technical side, including linux shells and flashing files via networking, then you can install OpenWRT onto your router, and thus gain that functionality, if it isn't offered with the router's default firmware.

If you aren't comfortable with doing this, then your only other options are asking Axis' tech support about changing the port number that the camera is listening on, or demand that your ISP unblock the ports. I suspect that there's not much the ISP can do, however, all that most do is re-sell another company's system.

ive never used openwrt but i have dd-wrt on both of my linksys routers... the custome firmware may be the way to go though if the manufacturer cant help.

How hard is that to use? It may be my only choice.:cryyy:

its kind of like your stock firmware for a router but it has a lot more options and gives you better control over your router. for dd-wrt you can check if your router is compatible here:

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

check with the cam manufacturer first and see if they can explain a little since it is their software your trying to configure.