Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with 1.5-2W 445nm driver

Was wondering if anyone could help me build a driver for a module ive just bought, its my first project, luckly i work at Maplins electronics so i can get all the bits i need im just not sure what sort of pot, resistors, battery's etc i need to use to give me the best driver for this laser, it is housed with an aixiz lens and i want to try give the laser a long life.

This is the module i have bought: :)
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

:thanks:

Mike

DTR

Good to see you found your way over here.:beer:

1A-1.3A would provide a long life for your diode. Did you already have a host picked out?

Of course :) i want to make sure i do this properly :D

What would be the perfect voltage to go with 1.3amp? Im going to be building the driver at work over the next few days, I have a host which im going to try using but it might not be the best choice, any ideas for a host would be great :) also heatsinking in a portable host? was going to use a heatsink and fan from a PC and drill the hole for the module, any ideas for a better way?

Thanks mate

Mike

Heat sink is sorted :) im still having troble finding a part list/wiring diagram for the driver, im hoping to get the laser at around 1300mw+, possibly i need dual drivers? thanks

DrSid

Working voltage of 445nm diodes is around 4.5V. Dual drivers only apply for FlexDrives 5.0 .. they can be pushed to 1.5A with heatsink on driver, but not more. So if you want to get close to 2W, 2 such drivers are good option. They are pretty popular around here, except they are pretty expansive.
If you design the driver for 2A, surely only one will suffice.

Last edited:
Ive decided not to build the driver myself, ive just ordered a pre wired pre set to 1.5a flexdrive V5 from DTR :) much easyer, ive also ordered a little heatsink for it. If at a later date i want to run 2 V5's can i change the driver to output 900ma or do i need to order 2 new ones? Ill post pictures when i get all my bits :)

Thanks

You can reset the one driver's current at 900 ma and buy another one preset at the same current.

Morgan

^ Yes you can reset your driver but you will need either... A dummy test load, (if you're going to be using 445s then you're likely going to need an upgraded test load in the near future as the ones normally found will get very hot very quickly at the outputs you're looking for. The upgrade requires better diode than the 1N400Xs. Someone else will have to help you on which ones though I'm afraid.)

Or... As 445s are so rugged, I normally set mine by optical output without using a test load but you will need an LPM for that.

I'm in the UK so if you get stuck or need a hand then you can always drop me a line by PM. I'm not on here as much as I used to be, or as much as I'd like, but I'll get back to you eventually! ;)

Good luck,

M
:)

Last edited:
Sounds easy enoth, im guessing theres a guide online somewhere. just got to play the waiting game now, could take couple weeks to get my stuff :/ Thanks Morgan, will keep that in mind :)

Last edited:

Morgan

Full instructions for Dr.Lava's drivers usually arrive on delivery, (I don't know about pre-set ones but I would think that's true as well).

Check out the guides in my sig. I'm sure you'll find some info about test loads there...

M
:)