Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need help from etching pros

hello.
as you might know i am etching a pcb for the ddl driver. i have designed the schematic(in one of my other posts i will link it.) i have heard u print your design on gloss paper then heat it up ontop of your copper clad with an iron. well i tried this and it didnt work?? does anyone have any ideas why?
none of the gloss paper transfered to the copper. so i did a prototype using an etching pen wich is very messy.
cheers

heres my schemtic and diagram.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/ddl-driver-etching-50782.html

As always.... the answers are out there... (que X Files music)

You will need to do some research on your own...
GOOGLE is your friend...

Do some Google searches on home made PCB techniques...
It is not that easy to produce very good PCBs for resale...

BTW... this question could have easily been asked in your other
Threads...

Jerry

Rafa

You have to print it with a toner printer.
I think laser printers work too.

well i think my printer is a laser printer. its a hp 2000 with a scanner any who i will be checking up to confirm it is a laser printer.
cheers

Does your Printer use Ink cartridges or does it use a Toner cartridge
and drum...

Here's a hint... take the exact Model number and Do a GOOGLE
Search
for the Instruction manual.. in that manual will be instructions
on changing the cartridge and the type it is...

You printer is either called a Laser Printer or an Ink jet printer...
They are NOT the same...

[EDIT]

Here... I did your work for you... it took a whole 10 seconds...
I'm starting to think that perhaps you are a little lazy...:thinking:

HP 2000C Professional Series Color Printers - Attention Codes for the Printer - bpd05587 - HP Business Support Center

It clearly indicates that your HP 2000 uses Ink Cartridges...
and can therefore NOT be used for Toner Transfer since there
is No Toner...

Jerry

Last edited:

Rafa

You can always go to a computer shop, library, etc and request some photocopys of the thing you printed at home. Is what I do. Just tell them to use your "gloss" paper.

HIMNL9

Other than this, you need SPECIAL paper for this ..... NEVER try to use a glossy photo paper in a laser printer, if it's not designed especially for laser printers ..... my ex commercial partner wasted a 800 euro fuser from a professional color laser printer, using a glossy ink-jet paper in it ..... the "glossy" layer of these papers are made with plastic-based gelatines that MELT on your fuser rollers, if you try to use them in laser printers :p

Those for printed circuits etching are special blue "gel" foils, where you must print the tracks in reverse, then, using a steam iron and a cotton fabric, transfer the toner layer from the "paper" to the copper layer ..... the toner carry with it the "gel" from the special foil, making a layer resistant to the acid .....

Those foils are called "press-n-peel" ..... i don't know if in your zone there's any distributor, but here is a link so you can see what i mean .....

There is also a way, using the "back side" of the adhesive sheets (the "siliconed part" that you remove from the adhesive sheets, before use them) ..... printing the image on them, and then transferring the toner in the same way as for the "press-n-peel" foils ..... a bit more difficult, anyway, not all the back foils are good for this, and sometimes the result is bad .....

Just remember that both these systems requires that you use a laser printer, with the settings of the black as dark as possible, and overall to print the image flipped, cause when you transfer the toner or emulsion on the pcb, you flip the original image .....

Last edited:
I used to use a film that was made for this purpose called TEC-200, a quick google search shows it being spoken of as an obsolete film and new films are mentioned.

My method of useage was to get the copper clad super clean with ajax detergent then lay my film/print on top of it and then I put a kitchen hand towel on top of it and applied a hot clothes iron to it and slowly rubbed it out.

I think I might had stuck it in the freezer for the cooling down before the peeling of the film.

The stuff worked flawlessly for me, I possibly got lucky every time.

Good Luck