Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help finding quartz optics...

So, after destroying over 20 plastic lens trying to collimate my UV laser, I'm finally convinced that I need proper optics. I'm looking specifically for uncoated quartz lenses that are approximately 1" diameter. I have searched fleabay but most of the lenses are AR coated for specific wavelengths. Could anyone recommend a good source for these lenses?

thanks

Why won't glass lenses work?

I've found that glass reflects or absorbs alot of the UV. Even plastic lenses transmit better than glass; only problem with plastic is the degradation due to the UV and q-switching. I have tried a quartz/silica lens before and it works much better.

HIMNL9

UV laser ..... some types of glass block part of the UV band, some other fluoresce ..... you need optic crystal, not sure that quartz works, at least if is not a specific lens made for that use, but in this case, i think it can be all except cheap .....

some producers have also low-volume distribution ..... as example, you can try to ask producers like ROCOES via email ..... Dichroic filter, Glass filter, Lens, Glass, - ROCOES co., ltd. ..... asking cost nothing, after all :D

Have you tried concave mirrors? I know that some quartz is made for UV and some isn't. Also natural quartz is sometimes made into lenses, I can check my old optical sources, but I need to, at a minimum know three things, what diameter lens is needed, what focal length is needed and what wave length or (wave lengths if more than one). Otherwise, it's a complete shot in the dark if a lens would be much help. -Glenn

I am using the lens to improve the divergence of my 355nm unit (dot is about 8" at 35 feet). I want a lens about 1" dia with a FL at about 12mm. I have checked edmund optics and they don't seem to have anything that meets my specs; not to mention, they're pretty expensive...

anchor optics is a division of edmund and theyre usually alot cheaper