Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help, advice or opinions on ebay purchase.

Re: Need help, advice or opinions on ebay purchase

DNMEBOY said:
Ok got video no audio, anyway. Im on the verge of giving up here lol. I def dont have the "above average" soldering skills to create this driver. I had one hell of a time with ddl's driver for my red. I cant see mysefl making one of these tiny drivers from the kits to fit in my module lol.

Im about ready to order the dorcy heatsink, and a driver prebuilt if I can find it. I just dont have any tools to measure output in order to be sure Im where I need to be so I dont destroy my diode. And I also need a dummy load......what a pain. I know it will be worth it however and when I am done I will fully know what I am doing but getting there is the difficult part im ready to give up on lol.

Also in black print on the diode it says SB016J781, google turned up nothing for me.

you dont have to put this driver together.. and it can run off of 2.5V-5.5V... http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1209418066 you have to be careful tryin to solder the wires onto it... not much space

i tried putting the test load together... and i forgot to use flux and ruined it... so i wired it up off the board and it still works the same... this ones already put together...get it from here: http://rkcstr.nfshost.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=185

chris008.jpg

Ok, well If I MUST use a dummy load I will learn how to. But I have no way to measure current or voltage and I woint be coughing up the money to buy a tool to do so.

Anyway on my sled it says this 811a124860 on a square qhite sticker with a square barcode. I forget what the type of barcode it is, no bars on it lol.

But I ordered a dorcy metal gear off ebay, and a micro flexdriver v3 preset to 100ma. But im being told good luck fitting the driver in the dorcy and the diode I have is crap basically. I dont care at this point if it burns. I just want the pretty light and the cool things it can do ;)

I built my own red from scratch driver and all, why does this seem to be so damn complicated....?

I thought I was ordering the right things....

well... the only thing different this time for the blu ray instead of ur red is that theres a couple different parts... n the drivers already built

i know how it feels... im still trying to make my blu ray.... my flexdrive just broke... n i need to get another... still waiting on my diode.. and tryin not to break anything or screw it up more then i already have

Yeah well i was feeling pretty good about it until in an email i was told that i did two things wrong, ordered the dorcy metal gear, and am using a diode from an hd dvd player from the xbox 360. I was told good luck fitting the driver in.

I thought the flex would fit inside a pen style laser. Thats what I read, it will even fit inside the aixiz housing if trimmed.

I try to do my research as well as i can and was pretty sure I was heading in the right direction. I was going to have a look at the dorcy and the flex when it arrived and get an idea of things and then hunt someone down to build a custom heatsink for it that would allow for the flex to fit and at least the top half of the aixiz housing with the diode and still allow me to use the original battery set up. And that is the round cartridge that you put 3 1.5v AAA batteries in.

Am I completely wrong? It all makes sense to me. I wish I just knew this stuff so I didnt have to keep asking questions, but I really do appreciate any input and help I get. I suppose everyone has been here at some point or another.

I just hate waiting for things. Wish I had the cash to just order it all pre built.

takes a lot of time and practice... tight fits to make it... ive remade mine about 5 times while waiting on my diode... n ive been waiting a couple months (cuz of wes in the 1st place... n now waiting on mine to ship from someone else)...

the best part about making it will be when u turn it on for the first time...

been a expensive hobby for me... broke half the stuff i got... ;D

daguin

DNMEBOY said:
Yeah well i was feeling pretty good about it until in an email i was told that i did two things wrong, ordered the dorcy metal gear, and am using a diode from an hd dvd player from the xbox 360. I was told good luck fitting the driver in.
I thought the flex would fit inside a pen style laser. Thats what I read, it will even fit inside the aixiz housing if trimmed.
I try to do my research as well as i can and was pretty sure I was heading in the right direction. I was going to have a look at the dorcy and the flex when it arrived and get an idea of things and then hunt someone down to build a custom heatsink for it that would allow for the flex to fit and at least the top half of the aixiz housing with the diode and still allow me to use the original battery set up. And that is the round cartridge that you put 3 1.5v AAA batteries in.
Am I completely wrong? It all makes sense to me. I wish I just knew this stuff so I didnt have to keep asking questions, but I really do appreciate any input and help I get. I suppose everyone has been here at some point or another.
I just hate waiting for things. Wish I had the cash to just order it all pre built.

You CAN trim the flexdrive to fit inside a pen-style host.  You have to insulate it from the host as the "wires" connections need to go toward the body, but it can be done.  I have no idea what the "metal gear" host looks like, but you don't need much room with the flexdrive option.  I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work IF you are willing to build or have custom made a heat sink for it.  I have built these in some fairly small spaces.

The diode from the XBOX 360 HD DVD player can be one of two different diodes.  You can PM me with questions as you get ready to build or run it in this thread.  I will help as much as I can.

Peace,
dave

lazer

I have a violet diode that requires 5v but I cant find a battery that provides this and fits in the dorcy junior. Any idea how to power it in the dorcy?

daguin

lazer said:
I have a violet diode that requires 5v but I cant find a battery that provides this and fits in the dorcy junior.  Any idea how to power it in the dorcy?

The easiest way is to use a boost driver like the flexdrive.  Then you can use the stock cr123 (3V).

Dark_Horse makes a heat sink that both holds the module and has a space for the driver in it.

Peace,
dave

lazer said:
I have a violet diode that requires 5v but I cant find a battery that provides this and fits in the dorcy junior.  Any idea how to power it in the dorcy?

maybe a capacitor? if im thinking of the right thing..

Well I got my dorcy metal gear today. For an LED flashlight I am very impressed with the light from a single led. The thing is blinding bright.

Thing that sucks is it wont be used as a host for a laser. The only part that comes off is the bottom and thats just to change batteries, the battery cartridge is attached to the base with the button. It looks to me as if there is plenty of room for a module fully set up with a driver and all.

Its definatly a sick looking torch.

From the very top of the housing right down to where the battery meets the positive terminal for the led board is 2 inches. So If I could get this thing apart I would have 2 inches of room to mount a diode module and driver. As far as a heat sink from what I can tell I have 1.25 inches accross to work with.

I dunno. I screwed up my bank account and also got sick and needed some extra money for meds so some of this project has to hold off. I do have a module with a driver that takes 9v but I dont see that fitting in anything that looks good at all. I wish it could take a lower voltage......

I killed the diode i had here already. My curiousness got the better of me. And from what I heard it wasn't a great diode anyway.

Oh and the metal gear at the top looks like its a pressed fit together, I can see where it at one time was 2 pieces but i cant get it apart now.

daguin

It might just be REALLY tight. Also some of them have a "glue" on the threads to prevent customers from opening them. You may have to hold it in a vice (protect the surface and don't "squish" it) and/or heat the joint to get it loose.

Peace,
dave

Don't give up on your project now! Keep on trying, and you will eventually succeed!

-Mark

Hmmmm....

I just need to find a vice and something to wrap the flashlight in so it doesnt get scratched. I dont actually know anyone with a vice though. And it would have taken me a while to think of using heat lol.

Thanks.

I use that light for laser hosts alot. It is actually three pieces. The tube, the end that holds the light and the piece in between. I hold the top in a vice with leather and use a strap wrench to unscrew it at the joint between the top and the middle piece. It is glued together, but unscrews easily once you get it going.