Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need a protective glass for diode that does not decrease intensity.

If there's a box that is heated to 5000 degrees Fahrenheit, a 1400mw 445nm laser will literally do nothing. I can't think of any other reason to use 445nm laser besides burning at near room temperature; it has no niche, any niche it could fill, another wavelength would fill better. Also, as for quartz, the melting temperature is 3002 Fahrenheit. I can't think of one clear material can withstand 5000 degree temperatures. You may be better off finding another resource for your purposes, LPF is a laser pointer forum and though we may have people qualified to answer your question, there is more expedient ways to do so, especially since you said a quick and efficient answer is important to you. Sorry for the hostility towards you. I hope you find your answer. :beer:

Last edited:

If there's a box that is heated to 5000 degrees Fahrenheit, a 1400mw 445nm laser will literally do nothing. I can't think of any other reason to use 445nm laser besides burning at near room temperature; it has no niche, any niche it could fill, another wavelength would fill better. Also, as for quartz, the melting temperature is 3002 Fahrenheit. I can't think of one clear material can withstand 5000 degree temperatures. You may be better off finding another resource for your purposes, LPF is a laser pointer forum and though we may have people qualified to answer your question, there is more expedient ways to do so, especially since you said a quick and efficient answer is important to you. Sorry for the hostility towards you. I hope you find your answer. :beer:

Thanks josh. This is an answer I was looking for. The box with be heated to that temperature after the laser ignites whats inside, its only use is to get the process going. As for the 5000F temp, the glass at 3000F should do the trick because it may not be directly exposed to this type of heat. But are confirming that quartz would cause little to no attenuation in the intensity or OD or are you simply aware of the fact that its melting temperature is too low? There is no need for you to apologize for other people's actions, thank you for your response. Also what is one of these more expedient ways that you mentioned?

A quote from wikipedia about fused quarts, *also note that there are many different types of quarts. "Fused quartz is manufactured by fusing (melting) naturally occurring quartz crystals of high purity at approximately 2000 °C, using either an electrically heated furnace (electrically fused) or a gas/oxygen-fuelled furnace (flame fused). Fused quartz is normally transparent. The optical and thermal properties of fused quartz are superior to those of other types of glass due to its purity. For these reasons, it finds use in situations such as semiconductor fabrication and laboratory equipment. It has better ultraviolet transmission than most other glasses, and so is used to make lenses and other optics for the ultraviolet spectrum. Its low coefficient of thermal expansion also makes it a useful material for precision mirror substrates." Also, every lens, or material, you shine a laser through will reduce its power. You'd be better off with a stronger laser. And a different wavelength. By a more expedient method, I was referring to an engineering forum or something alike.

Last edited:
Why different wavelength, the quote said quartz is great for ultraviolet wavelength light. The only thing between 445nm and UV light is violet light. Blue is the closest we can get for such a low price in the power we need. Do you have any idea how much power would be lost through say an inch for example of quartz? We start with a 1.4 Watt laser, say the attenuation loss through an inch of quartz was .4 Watts... 1 Watt would still be plenty of energy. I would be surprised if it lost more than 400mW going through quartz.

I don't know a lot about the properties of quartz; I would venture a guess the closer to UV you get, the more efficiency. If you can't afford a UV laser, I don't think a quartz lens would be an option either. They are near impossible to come by, and you might have to get one custom made. I don't want to try to guess the power loss, because everything I know about quartz lenses has been learned within the last 10 minutes.

Ok yea I was hoping someone who actually has used quartz before would answer but thanks for the help and I appreciate the effort I will have to do it the hard way hahaha

I'd like to add that a good rule of thumb regarding transmission,

If you can see through it, lasers you can see will go through it. This however presents a problem: your best bet to get enough power for such experiments is IR. You can get 5 watt 808nm diodes easily, far more than one 445nm can do, but transmission is a new problem then.

Obviously we are experimenting and are not completely capable in this area

My point exactly. This is why you should let us help you instead of giving us a tiny piece of the problem.

I don't recall asking for glass that is a "100% efficient window"

Look at the thread title, sir. "does not decrease intensity."

Why is trust an issue when I'm asking a simple question about glass?

One of my favorite bash quotes:

glyph said:
if you came in here asking "how do I use a jackhammer" we might ask "why do you need to use a jackhammer?" If the answer to the latter question is "to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer", then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers

The ambiguity and randomness of your question and your unwillingness to answer questions that we may have for you is always a good indication that your problem is actually unrelated to lasers.

I am coming here for quick advice to purchase lasers and glass.

And your project thus-far appears to be unrelated to lasers and glass. Here's what's going on here:

You: What is the best size of fish sticks to hold these two planks of wood together?
Me: Why do you think fish sticks are the best idea? May I suggest a nail?
You: I can't tell you, but that's what we've decided. Now answer my question.

Last edited:
My problem is unrelated to lasers. I already have the laser picked out. The issue has to do with glass. That's why I posted my question in the optics forum hoping someone here might know. There's a difference between unwillingness and inability.

LORD!! I hope your 'chamber' is NOT a pressure cooker.. there was a problem in Boston IIRC...

I like to sometimes think of LPF like a public library -open to the public. but if you wanted a book and were not willing to find some INFO on your own (& the need for a library card)- getting prissy with the librarians is not going to help you very much..+

..... Regardless of your needs we find it just common manners to intro yourself FIRST in the WELCOME boards.. or not. we do not charge for usage of the 'SEARCH' nor does google--

This may be another one of those threads that should be ignored.

V/R Hak

445 is not considered ultraviolet.

uv (uva) starts at about 400nm. in this case you would probably still be ok, but in the optics world 40nm can be very significant.

what's the ignition temperature of your sample? you may be better off using 405nm lasers. they can be focused to a smaller point which will provide greater energy density.

Why different wavelength, the quote said quartz is great for ultraviolet wavelength light. The only thing between 445nm and UV light is violet light. Blue is the closest we can get for such a low price in the power we need. Do you have any idea how much power would be lost through say an inch for example of quartz? We start with a 1.4 Watt laser, say the attenuation loss through an inch of quartz was .4 Watts... 1 Watt would still be plenty of energy. I would be surprised if it lost more than 400mW going through quartz.

This thread has inspired me ! I think I'll vaporize some medical marijuanna under glass now . Thanks:beer:

^^ you use the term "vaporize" loosely I hope. I laser will ignite your flower. This ignition is not vaporization.

NKO29

What are you trying to ignite? If you can answer that at least, i think we would be able to help you more :thinking: Otherwise we have no idea of what the glass needs to withstand in terms of pressure, time of exposure and size etc.