Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need a good 100mw-150mw laser, dino direct any good?

Do you mean that order a high power one, but put a 1mW sticker on it, then the FDA will be cheat? If so ,it would be perfect!
yes. i know rayfoss might do that if you ask them too, or have the 1mW sticker on top so you can just peel it off when you get it. I think i heard about someone asking them to do that before

IsaacT

They did it for me and they left the actual sticker underneath the innerbox like this:

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-09-14 at 01.15 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-09-14 at 01.15 #2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Photo on 2010-09-14 at 01.15.jpg
    Photo on 2010-09-14 at 01.15.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 230
Yeah me too, they just had the yellow warning sticker "dont look directly at the beam " etc and a seperate sticker under the foam :)

It's pretty easy to get hight poer lasers past customs, you could even ask them just to put "Electrical Components" or something of the like on the package Anyhew back on topic

I'd get a laser from either Rayfoss or O-like over the Barney wannabe company :)

Yeah me too, they just had the yellow warning sticker "dont look directly at the beam " etc and a seperate sticker under the foam :)

It's pretty easy to get hight poer lasers past customs, you could even ask them just to put "Electrical Components" or something of the like on the package Anyhew back on topic

I'd get a laser from either Rayfoss or O-like over the Barney wannabe company :)
i just bought a 532nm 150mW a few hours ago from rayfoss and all it says through paypal is Goods. haha they labeled it goods. thats about as generic as they can put it

IsaacT

Lol, sounds like a mafia transaction....
"You got the money?"
"You got the goods?"
"No, but UPS does..."

Nice, it says that every problem has a solution, so it is! however, I got two -rep because of the damn regulation of FDA, What lousy luck! will the -rep be with me always or will it disappear later? what can I do now?

Last edited:

IsaacT

It will disappear eventually....but looks to me like your rep is neutral...just contribute to the forums and the rest will follow

yes, I will .and I am trying my best to do so these two days. But still know little about laser.

IsaacT

Wikipedia is nice if you just need the basics....you do know Laser is an acronym right?

frankly speaking, I don't know. Sorry for my ignorance. Then ,what's the whole name?

IsaacT

(L)ight (A)mplification by (S)timulated (E)mission of (R)adiation

Read this thread. Also look up laser on wikipedia and that should give you a godd start.

Ash

sorry for my fault, however, Ash, I read the warning in dealextreme. I don't know whether there is other ways to get high power laser, but the regulation does exist. really sorry for my mistake, I'm a newb. I'll try my best to learn from you and all the friends here

No worries. I may have gone off a little, oops :eek:

yes. i know rayfoss might do that if you ask them too, or have the 1mW sticker on top so you can just peel it off when you get it. I think i heard about someone asking them to do that before
Actually Rayfoss always does it now. They place a <5mW sticker on the laser, and send the real sticker in the bottom of the laser box. Also, if you are really worried, you can request to have the batteries shipped separately from the laser, and this also thwarts customz, as they don't have a bunch of CR123's or 18650's lying around to test the lasers with.
Also, these companies voluntarily put "flashlight" or "electronics gift" on the customz declaration as well, rather than "laser".
yeah, i forget what other company said this but i heard that one would send you another laser if yours was confiscated by customs. DX just doesnt send ones banned by the fda at all. i havent heard of anyone (except in Australia) who has had one confiscated by customs. I heard a guy in australia had his confiscated and ended up with a criminal record because he was trying to import a "banned" laser. its all just really stupid
Well. Wicked Lasers claims that they will send you another laser + give you $100 in store-credit or give you a full refund and give you $100.
Quote from website:
"Wicked Lasers guarantees that your item will arrive safely at your doorsteps. If your laser product was confiscated by the customs in your country, we will refund your payment fully and give you $100 in Wicked Bucks for your troubles. However, if you are not interested in the refund, we will resend your laser product and give you $100 in Wicked Bucks for your troubles."
The strange thing is that they actually put "500mW laser" on the customs declaration, and they still get through. :thinking:
Read this thread. Also look up laser on wikipedia and that should give you a godd start.
Also a short lesson on wavelength (the color of the laser)
"Light or photon particles do not travel in a straight line, but instead in a wave format. Wavelength, measured in nanometers (nm), is the distance between each wave and actually determines color. Our eyes are sensitive to light which lies in a very small region of the electromagnetic spectrum labeled "visible light". This visible light corresponds to a wavelength range of 400nm - 700nm and a color range of violet, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. The sun emits white light which is a mixture of the all the colors of the visible spectrum. The reason why the leaves of trees are green is because tree leaves are reflecting only green wavelengths into your eyes and absorbing the rest.

The human eye is not capable of "seeing" radiation with wavelengths outside the visible spectrum. Ultraviolet radiation has a shorter wavelength than the visible violet light. Infrared radiation has a longer wavelength than visible red light. Black is a total absence of light."

See this diagram of the visible spectrum:
spectrum.gif

Diode Laser colors:
405nm 445nm 660nm
DPSS (diode pumped solid state) Laser colors:
473nm 532nm 589nm 593nm (+more)

Last edited:

IsaacT

How hard is it to get an UltraViolet Laser? I saw an UV flashlight thing in the store I work at and it was visible...and it made me wonder what an UV laser would look like.

Ash

Are you talking about less than 405nm "UV"? Because, technically bluray is UV-blacklight color.
CNI has both 355nm and 266nm UV lasers, but they are lab modules, not pointers.

IsaacT

Well...is 405nm inside the wavelengths classified as UV? From the range you gave it would appear to be in the visible spectrum.