Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NDB7242E spike pen build

Pman

So, while wandering through Amazon I came upon this "killer" pen and wondered if there was enough room to do what I do:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056DG43I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HvAATh.jpg

FI4aCM.jpg

DdIVr7.jpg

uqRXQh.jpg

sp8yQk.jpg

NvdEsy.jpg

8uPSCl.jpg

D1eocM.jpg

Size comparison:
b4XCUD.jpg

To build it I had to remove some material inside where the module would go for everything to fit proper. Here is the parts breakdown showing the diode with driver (a nano boost from Jordan non-adjustable running at 285mA) already mounted and stabilized with Arctic Alumina and the small contact pad I cut down and added a spring to for the proper fit:
0M1sMx.jpg

The end where the module with no back half will press into after I drilled it out to the right depth and width with hand tools:
bNupiA.jpg

Trimmed and before adding the small spring:
nfMPRu.jpg

How this comes together is I used one of those plastic sleeves that comes inside a cheap laser pen and split it down the middle with a razor and then cut out a long piece to make it the right size when it presses into the host tightly touching the walls and also trimming the length down to both go over the driver to touch the back of the copper module and also have the contact board sit on the opposite end and wiring the driver to the contact board. It all fits nice and snug when pressed together:
AyEiLE.jpg

The contact board edges will touch the cleaned up spot on the inside where the anodizing was removed with a steel dremel brush. The plastic piece was trimmed down more than that pic shows so that the length would be proper for the battery fit.
0xDHNP.jpg

The 10440 battery is installed at this joint and the fit is perfect so that it is turned on by screwing it down to make contact with both the host spike end (case +) and the negative spring on the contact board. It looks normal like it is screwed in the right length to begin with so no normal person would realize that you screw it down further to turn the laser on. The pics don't show it but I painted another focus knob to match the color better. The battery is installed in all these pics and you can see that it looks like it is screwed together all the way. You turn the spike end in more to turn on the laser:

psIH90.jpg

Flv67O.jpg

QPysR5.jpg

6mfcgv.jpg

Wouldn't want to get "spiked";)
B54I6F.jpg

Don't have any great pics showing it with the beam but it is 260mW with a G and about 190mW with an acrylic. Has a very visible beam:

PrKVBt.jpg

It's the one on the right:

(I haven't shown any other the others yet except the red 4W 808nm in the center).
TyjWFt.jpg

I arranged them according to what I was seeing for wavelength:

1nMxDv.jpg

This shot shows the color difference better with "spike" obviously on the left end:
diWf93.jpg

Last edited:

Nice! It's cool that our builds came out with almost the exact same power output. I really need to start posting some of my builds. Problem is that I'm usually at work when I'm on the forum, so no pic uploads.

Pman

I've got 3 builds with these diodes now. One is just over 200, this one at 260 and another over 400mW:) They seem to be robust diodes. It is extremely rare for me to run any laser over about 10 seconds except when I am taking pics and I had this build on for at least a minute and it was fine. I just can't bring myself to run them really low as I like beams.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Cool, great little build Pete! I remember you talking about this host awhile back, had forgotten about it, nice to see it come together. :yh:
This is the first laser that I've seen where you can put your eye out with either end, be careful. :eek:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Nice build Pman. :) It is unusual host for a laser, but it works.
This is the first laser that I've seen where you can put your eye out with either end, be careful.
Yes, be careful Pman. :beer:

Pman

You've got it all wrong. When I hurt myself with the spike I can cauterize the wound:D

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
That's why you chose to add the laser :D Don't test this out will you.

GSS

This one is too cool;) how do you keep finding these gems!

D

Deleted member 16589

Awesome build I love these diodes . I wanna build a USB powered lab out of mine.

Hi, P,
Nice build buddy your a sick genius my brother awesome pic and description of the build. What caliber is the Smith ?? fantastic as always Pete.. + Rep if i can, sorry i'l catch up

rich:)

Last edited:
Nice build, Pman. I couldn't help laughing when I saw the package the host was in. A flashlight and a sharp point to break glass is a "tactical self defense tool"? Looks more like a good burglar tool.

Pman

Thanks guys. It was really a tough little build to get everything aligned right. I had actually put it aside for quite awhile trying to figure out how I was going to do it right. I think of ways to do things but trying not to screw up such as using the right drill bit with a hand drill and not making a mess of it or accidentally hitting threads or putting marks on them is not so easy. I wouldn't have been happy if you could tell that it was not fully screwed in with the laser off. It screws in a good amount sti off and like I said you don't realize that it can screwed down more to make battery contact. It feels and looks like it is already screwed all the way in. I was really happy when I adjusted the length of the plastic sleeve that I got it right on my first try.
If you look at the original pic you can see I had to shorten the length on the flashlight end to build it.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet you have to check out Jeff's new Coleman build here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/coleman-jr-kids-mini-camp-light

Last edited:

Gabe

Really cool build Pete, great craftsmanship and problem solving. I just did a pocket flashlight build, and my goodness I have so much more respect for you now :bowdown: :bowdown: :D

Reactions: GSS

GSS

After I checked the Amazon link Pman gave I got all these pop ups of these tactical pens and one of them had a "DNA" collector. I guess when you stab your attacker you now have some of his skin and blood or hair:cool:
Pman i'm so glad you found this sick pen:eg: