Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Nature Shots

Nutball

Remember this ant that was walking on water with a bunch of mites stick to it? They I was reminded of them when I saw this next bug, but they look different.

These little round parasites appear to have a sturdy probe from their rear (if you can tell the difference) that seems to allow them to hang on and feed on the big bug. The big bug found a splintery break in some wood and was trying to scrape them off.

Attachments

Last edited:

paul1598419

Just goes to show, no matter how little you are there is something smaller trying to feed off you.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Some more extremely nice work, Nutball! :cool:

BTW, thanks for the info. on your cameras. :yh:

Nutball

Sounds like RB is the smaller one feeding on Paul here? :undecided:

I couldn't have made pics this clear with the HX-80, I pushed these pics to the max too, beyond look good quality by cropping really small and over-using using a clarity feature that helps to sharpen the image via contrast without over sharpening pixel clusters.

I should have caught it and put it under the microscope

Just making sure, you all did see that lizard in an earlier post had a mutant tail right?

Attachments

Last edited:

paul1598419

Those are some very detailed images with great focus and reasonably good depth of field.

paul1598419

I remember fighting to keep those things out of my yard back in the 1980s. I'm sorry, but I'll always think of them as weeds. :rolleyes:

Nutball

I think there's 2 bugs in this next one, can you see them?

There's a bug in the next one too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nutball

I found a Odontotaenius disjunctus beetle stuck on it's back in my garage, so I decided to take pictures of it, but then I noticed those parasites again. It would be nice to know what they are. I havent found anything quite like them yet on google images.

I started out with the 10x zoom camera, then went to the 30x zoom camera (those pics will be in the next post). As I previously figured out using the 10x with a 24mm lens, I now have come to the conclusion that magnification greater than 10x for macro with cameras is going to show a lot of decrease in image quality, so a microscope would be much better. The closest I got was 30x (720mm) with a 50mm macro lens = 14.4x magnification, but it isn't too clear. Holding steady was the hard part even with both the hand held camera and lens resting against a solid support. In my previous pictures I usually only get 5x magnification maximum before cropping. These pics are cropped down a lot too, more than I usually do, and no clarifying on these.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nutball

Man, this camera sucks. They just released a new camera though, I think in the same body, which has a 1" sensor, 8x zoom, 25fps for 10s burst shots @ 20MP!, 4k, 960fps full HD I think! $1200 I just wonder how my new camera has much worse noise than my much older camera with basically the same sensor.

Attachments

paul1598419

You seem to take more of an interest in insects than I do. That and their insect parasites. I have no idea what they are either, but don't really care. They are rather disgusting if you want my opinion. I don't know if they are ubiquitous or just in your neck of the woods, so to speak. They look a lot like ticks, but the images of them aren't that great to make out one in detail.

Nutball

I was certain I'd get good detail with the extra zoom, but was surprised to find the opposite. Still, sometimes a closer blurry look can help the mind fill in some blanks. Anyway I just think this stiff looks cool up close since we usually don't see or notice such details.

Spittle bug (I chased it out of it's spit). I wonder how they breath in there.

Attachments

Last edited: