Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nanometer Scale/Meter?

Now all lasers have a certain nanometer set. I was wondering how they figure out the nanometer of a laser. If they use some sort of scale or meter can you get this for your personal use.

You can use a spectrometer to figure out the output wavelength of a laser. A interferometer can be used to fine the exact wavelength.

Both can cost several thousand dollars for a simple unit.

Regarding a wavelength meter, does anyone live near me (INDIANA) with a wavelength meter/gauge, that would be able to tell me the nm's of this YELLOW LASER, that I "acquired" ? It's an RPL style laser, & supposed to be CNI built, but it puts out over 40mW's & I'd like to know if it's a 593.5nm or a 589nm laser. How much (besides S&H fees both ways), would somebody nearby, charge me for measuring the wavelength of this laser for me ? Thanks, rob

You can get close-ish just by eye-balling it, especially if you have "calibrated eyes" and have seen many wavelengths.

One of the guys in my group has a natural ability/photographic memory for that kind of stuff. The rest of us go "umm, it looks blue...let's go look at the spectrometer...." while he can look at it and say "It's 475, give or take a couple, the temperature must've been too high" and so on. His "calibrated eyes" are impressive, but most of us need a spectrometer, which do get expensive fast.

You can make yourself a pretty good one for cheap if you have a good diffraction grating with well-known measurements (spacing and such) and room for longer throws, but still not great. Serviceable, but not great.

Ya I am not willing to spend a few thousand dollars. I would rather guess.

I'd like to make sure about mine, so I suppose I'd need a spectrometer, 'cause I'd like to know if it's a 593.5nm or a 589nm laser, & I'd think that without the proper instrument, it would be hard to discern between two such close wavelengths. rob

@ Scythe001, lol, it's not like I stole it or anything illegal, I just happened to ask a laser Mfgr. that I know pretty well, if at the end of the year, he had any scratch & dent, broken, or otherwise, unsaleable lasers that he'd part with at a discount. VERY MUCH to my SURPRISE, he sent me a CNI built YELLOW LASER, that was missing the tail dongle. I bought an "S" audio/visual cable for less than $5.00, used my DMM to figure out which wires needed to be clipped & which ones needed to be jumped, plugged the dongle in, & had a (LASERGLOW PRICED) $1200.00 + laser for under $5.00, that puts out over 40mW on my LASERBEE I. I just don't know the wavelength. When that thing came in the mail, I almost pissed myself, (after fixing the dongle & finding that it worked GREAT), 'cause I was expecting a 2mW "pen style" YELLOW laser. Did I get 'lucky' or what ? rob

@ Scotty 757, that's a pretty good idea. Anyway, it'll work good until I find out one way or the other. Thanks for the idea. rob

You can get a usb powered, software driven spectrometer for about $300. Good for simple demonstration of black-body radiation. I used my physics professor's meter to find out that my 12X BR diode lases more a 408nm, than anywhere else! Spectrometer's are fun... I'll probably buy one before I buy an LPM.

I don't have that kind of $$$ to spend on something that I'll only use once or twice. Even if I checked ALL my lasers, it's STILL not cost effective for me. rob

You can get a usb powered, software driven spectrometer for about $300. Good for simple demonstration of black-body radiation. I used my physics professor's meter to find out that my 12X BR diode lases more a 408nm, than anywhere else! Spectrometer's are fun... I'll probably buy one before I buy an LPM.
How about a link or documents on that $300.00 Spectrometer...:cool:

Jerry

Hey Jerry, If you decide to get one, & I pay S&H both ways, would you be willing to check the nm's of that 40mW YELLOW I have ? How much would you charge me. Please answer me via PM, OK ? Thanks my friend. rob

Regarding a wavelength meter, does anyone live near me (INDIANA) with a wavelength meter/gauge, that would be able to tell me the nm's of this YELLOW LASER, that I "acquired" ? It's an RPL style laser, & supposed to be CNI built, but it puts out over 40mW's & I'd like to know if it's a 593.5nm or a 589nm laser. How much (besides S&H fees both ways), would somebody nearby, charge me for measuring the wavelength of this laser for me ? Thanks, rob

I can give you a spectra using a Ocean Optics USB4000 spectrometer if you would like. I would be happy to do it just to see a cool new laser, just pay shipping.

Send me a PM.

Thanks buddy, I 'preciate it. I thought that everyone that knew a laser Mfgr. pretty good did the same thing. I guess not though. Thanks for the REP. rob

PS, shoot, I shouldn't have given out my secret, CRAP !!!

BTW, I called the local High School today & found out that they have either a spectrometer or spectrograph. Right now I'm waiting for a return call from the principal to find out if he'll give me permission to use the equipment to check out the wavelength of that "MYSTERY YELLOW" laser.

Last edited:
Holy ^&*()%, +rep for being a freaken genius.

Ass_Kisser_Gum_Front.jpg