Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MYTHBUSTERS Taking Video Myth requests!!

Things

I dunno if this is over already, but I doubt it. But basically, you make up a video, explaining a myth, submit it to here http://au.youtube.com/user/DiscoveryNetworks

and you get a chance of Mythbusters testing it out!

So if you wanna see Mythbusters test the lasers and planes myth, why not make up a video about it and submit it? :D :D :D :D

Just letting you guys know

artix

They are testing if a laser can goto and comeback from the moon with a 1GW laser! Right now!

artix

They used a retro reflector placed by Apollo 11 and they found out that the laser made it back! (busting the myth that NASA faked the landing) :D

artix

Things said:
Hahahah I wish  :p

Did you see it? It just finished! It was at the end, watch the discovery channel tomorrow and see if they replay it

Kenom

Oh I saw that one about 4 weeks ago. Very cool. I honestly don't think it's a good idea to bust that myth. If it's found that it's mostly harmless you can bet your a$$ that there will be a increase of lasers being shone on airplanes.

next they're gonna say that episode of mythbusters was a hoax, and there is no such thing as lasers that powerful, that's only in SciFi movies lol.

here is the episode :)

[media width=425]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orvMZn8L1f0[/media]

Oh and one more thing.
unless the airline's attitude is at a 20 degree decline (which it rarely is) you would have to be almost 40 miles away with the airline coming straight at you to have a good line of sight at the pilots eyes (depending on altitude of corse)! Most of the time the airline is flared up a little, especially when landing they have their flaps out and the aircraft's attitude is pointed up 3 - 5 degrees. Plus the instrument panel is so tall the pilots can rarely even see the ground from a seated position.

I know there are side windows, and yes, if they are in a low altitude bank then you could have a chance of a good close up shot at the pilot’s peripherals, but when they are in a bank, they are at least 5 minutes out from the linup, so there would be some recovery time...

but still, DONT DO IT.

^I just moved to a new apartment that's about 200 yards off the the side of the runway/approach, and about even with the very 1st runway indicator lights at my city's airport. So of course, being this close as to be able to see the planes and such, I've been watching them all the time.

After all my watching, I'm come to the conclusion that from my bedroom window, I could put a beam on the cockpit window of 90% of the planes that land at this airport inside of the last minute before landing. The angles just really aren't that bad. As far as the banking goes, even the commercial planes make a hard bank as they're coming in, and it's pretty much always within the last few minutes before landing I think, and many of the private planes will be on a hard bank, 45degrees or more, in the last minute before touchdown.

After watching lots of planes here, I really don't think it would be that hard at all to be able to hit the cockpit window and distract the pilot, or give them some momentary flash blindness in the last minute before landing. So it just confirms to me even more that pointing a laser at an airplane is something that should never, ever be done.

Things

LOL too bad my monthly bandwidth limit is 40GB :-/ :-/

Mythbusters wouldnt have to do this using a real flying plane though, just putting the cockpit at a distance, and angling it down or up slightly would do. Soo if they could even hit it in the right spot lol

Razako

Here's the problem.
If they prove that it's not that big of a deal then you will have a lot more people shining lasers at planes.
If they find that it's actually a very real threat then you give more credibility to the ban lasers crowd.