Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Real 488nm Sharp Diode Build

Hi Paul
Great job putting the build together with an awesome WL of 488nm .
Came out really nice..
Rich: + rep

Nice build :beer:

I find that my 490nm is blue at day, but rather green at night. Is it the same for your slightly lower wavelength diode?

If you are seeing any green in yours it is likely a higher wavelength. Maybe 491nm to 495nm.

That’s too bad I have to spread the rep around because I can’t rep you :(
But absolutely beautiful Paul :)

I need to spread some rep around too, great build and color, do you run the diode at 275 ma? About the 473nm diode does it draw any current?

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your comments more than the rep. If you are talking about T_Warne's 476nm diode he sent me, it is now an LED and does draw current. It just won't lase. The only 473nm I have is a DPSS that I culled out of a medical device. I do have a 477nm diode from the first Sharp diodes that we got. I did a review of it some time ago. :thanks:

That's what I've found about my argon and my 485. I prefer the daytime colors.

I also really like the tiny builds Paul, can't wait to get these :D

You are going to love these lower wavelength ones. I like my 493nm diode a lot, but this is a whole new color. Well, for a diode, anyway.

Nice build Paul, and that colour is beautiful. :beer:

Thank you, Curtis. I love it too.

Nice looking build, Paul, the camo host and copper heatsink compliment each other and look good together, just don't lay it down outside, you'll never find it again! :beer:

This reminds me, I've got to get busy building my 488 with the diode I got from you. :yh:
:gj: +rep!

Thank you, Jeff. Yes, you should build that diode I sent you. It should be a copy of this one I am showing. Don't worry. I never let my prized lasers out of my sight.

Nice build & pics Paul!!
Thanks for sharing it! :thanks:

:thanks: Tero. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Nice, Paul! Appreciate the mutiple angles. Looks great!

Thank you, Lew. I like to take multiple beam shots as you can see more that way.

Very nice build paul the color is so pretty i still got my diodes from dtr i need to do a build with them.

nice build - really like that host

Thanks, guys. Evans, yes you need to get building. :D
Trinh, I got that host from Rich, Lifetime17. It was the perfect host for this build.

Hi Paul
Great job putting the build together with an awesome WL of 488nm .
Came out really nice..
Rich: + rep

Thank you, Rich. As you can see I put that host you sent me to good use. The copper heat sink keeps these diodes cool as at 275 mA they tend to run a bit hot.

Just compared your photos to my argon. I gotta say, the color is VERY close to what my projector screen produces (sRGB gamut). Especially the last two pictures.

I'm looking forward to putting together a high WL one and a low WL one. I think the 495 from the first batch I have is a high WL one, it's very much so green. For me, ~492 will be entirely different :p

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
If you're diode was putting out as much heat as an argon then I think you'd have a problem. :p

hi Paul,
Glad to see the CU sink doing well for a awesome 488... as for getting hot yes they still are 5.6mm .. Enjoy it .

Rich:)

Thanks, Chris. I am working on sending you one that should be a twin of this one. I just got off the phone with the complaint center for USPS and they will be working on getting my drivers moving on to me. I just wish it wasn't Friday and the whole weekend is ahead where nothing will get done on their end.

Thanks, Rich. It turned out to be the perfect host for this build. I have held a copper module in my hand with one of these diodes in it set to 275 mA and within a few seconds the module starts to heat up. But, that mass of copper works well to keep its temperature low enough so I don't get wavelength creep. :yh:

Last edited:
You are going to love this color. It is the same as a single line argon laser. Not a trace of green in it. But, a sky blue color. The divergence of these single mode diode is very good. I'll pair it with the same acrylic lens I used on mine. Would you like it secured to the focus ring? It is necessary with this lens as the housings are very short. :)

I'd be pleased to have it secured to the ring, I remember reading how you do that in another post.

Chris