Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Newest HeNe Toy

LSRFAQ

Yes its been done. Use a V shape. Powers to 300 mW using specially shaped bores, since HENE mixes need wall collisions to depopulate the lower level.

Ie the bore is star shaped or elliptical for more wall collision area.

Steve

Hi Dave,
Another question if I may.....
With these 390T HeNe power supplies, mine doesn't have a trimpot so I can't adjust the output. Not sure if yours has it or not. I was wondering if you connected such a beefy PS to a smaller tube, will it damage the tube or will the tube/power supply only allow the required amount of current to flow through the tube?
Cheers,
Rob.

daguin

Hi Dave,
Another question if I may.....
With these 390T HeNe power supplies, mine doesn't have a trimpot so I can't adjust the output. Not sure if yours has it or not. I was wondering if you connected such a beefy PS to a smaller tube, will it damage the tube or will the tube/power supply only allow the required amount of current to flow through the tube?
Cheers,
Rob.

Mine does not have an accessible pot.

You can damage the laser with too much current.

Also, the tubes output actually goes down with over-powering.

Peace,
dave

Yes its been done. Use a V shape. Powers to 300 mW using specially shaped bores, since HENE mixes need wall collisions to depopulate the lower level.

Steve

I remember doing a U shaped 3 tube folded-cavity 20 yrs ago, alignment is a nightmare without special mounts and a super stable table.

Trevor

That laser is fantastic.

I've been wanting a long HeNe like that for a very long time. Great find.

-Trevor

HIMNL9

Steve

As far as i remember, the efficency of He-Ne is also affected from the lenght of the cavity ..... and also, these units have external mirrors to play with ..... i was just wondering about an experiment .....

Coupling them in U shape from the back mirror, matching the total lenght of the cavity with the wavelenght, and also coupling the two beams with a combiner, coupling also here the waves ..... must be a nightmare inside a nightmare, to do, but at the end, the power can be unbelievable, for a He-Ne system ..... :p :D

Mine has three @ 27K ohm each (total 81K ohm)

Peace,
dave

Hi again Dave.
Are all three resistors on the same end of the tube, and if so, what end are they connected to on this type of tube?
Many thanks again!
Cheers!

Beautiful piece of equipment!!!

I view gas lasers like these as an art-form. They're beautiful: like old radios from an era when technology had visual appeal and personality.

Jarrod

I view gas lasers like these as an art-form. They're beautiful: like old radios from an era when technology had visual appeal and personality.

I couldn't agree more. A big old gas laser like this looks like what a laser should look like! Big, elaborate glass tubes, glowing electric discharges, huge power resistors and other weird components. DPSS lasers can be so boring to look at; a bunch of rice-grain sized bits of glass epoxied together and crammed into a heatsink.

I couldn't agree more. A big old gas laser like this looks like what a laser should look like! Big, elaborate glass tubes, glowing electric discharges, huge power resistors and other weird components. DPSS lasers can be so boring to look at; a bunch of rice-grain sized bits of glass epoxied together and crammed into a heatsink.

Couldn't have phased it better myself.....