Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My new 350 TeraBytes Computer Location!

Hi forum.
Before losing my head (and the wallet) with high-end home HiFi, HiFi car, lasers, drones and fireworks I was mainly a programmer.
To be full honest: programmer, hacker, cracker and reverse engineering boy :sneaky:
I started in the far 1985 with my first home computer, the Sinclair Spectrum.
Nice machine, I remember two spectacular games: ATIC ATAC and SABRE WULF.
The year after I switched to my first real love, the mighty Commodore 64!
I lived the best 9 years of my life with this awesome machine, because it was my springboard!
When the last humanly possible memory location was squeezed from this computer, I switched to the Amiga
world. First the Amiga 1000, then the Amiga 2000, finally the Amiga 3000 Tower.
At the time the Commodore hardware was really pricey: in Italy the Amiga 3000 Tower cost more than 5000 dollars
(we are speaking of the year 1990 !!!).
When the Commodore company died, I switched to the consolles systems: Sega Megadrive, Nintendo Super Famicom and finally
Sega Dreamcast.
But now all the world was colonized by IBM and PC systems, so my last switch was toward this kind of computers.
Today with PCs anything can be done comfortably seated in the warm home, especially with the advent of the internet,
but I can assure you that there is no current PC system that can recreate the feeling that was felt with the small and rudimentary
computers of the past!
Once we dreamed with a simply handful of bytes and colours, now ours dreams are already pre-packaged inside petabytes
of memory :oops:
However, just today I ended my mega computer-location with a 350 Terabytes system! It is made by 25x14TB Seagate Ironwolf
NAS hard disks in RAID5 configuration.
As hardware I chose the rock solid Synology NAS system.
The PC is provided with a special Intel Network card with an integrated microprocessor with 3 independent gigabit outputs.
A 2000W APC UPS is needed to keep the NAS UP in the event of a power outage.
Here is some shots of my new location:

49535971823_f009521661_b.jpg

49536469071_720bdf4dd0_b.jpg

49536699032_1afc40aaab_b.jpg

Last edited:

Encap

When you go with a project/interest, you go all in.

Serious storage capacity--just the 25 Seagate Ironhorse 14TB drives alone are a serious investment.

What sort of work/processing you do that needs such massive storage capability? :unsure::coffee:

Last edited:
Hi.
Well, inside this monster I putted all my life history :)
You can find all the ROMs of every computer and consolles ever made, the full MAME romset, all my pics/shots, 522.000 MP3s, 90.000 magazines, 11.000 eBooks, 14.500 android programs, 223.000 0-days, 7.000 movies plus 4.000 TV series in full HD (.MKV format), some hundreds of films 4K, some thousands of AVi XXX, some thousands of DVD films.
All the above files take only 1/4 of the total storage space. I have enough space until the end of my life LOL.

Ahhh. That explains all that space. I had not thought of videos of movies and TV shows. Not to mention E books and mags.

LOL nope. I'm a terrible collector of everything. And I like to see again and again the movies that I like very much. Sometimes only particular scenes. It is a real lust to have everything just a click away!

LOL nope. I'm a terrible collector of everything. And I like to see again and again the movies that I like very much. Sometimes only particular scenes. It is a real lust to have everything just a click away!

Very nice, I'm the same way about favorite movies.

kecked

I would dearly love to have the lasermame rom set. looking for battle tank in particular. Want to see if I can get it to run on the new fb4 hardware now that I have 60k scanners.