Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Laser VS Vehicle traffic

gksudo

So last week I was packing my laser stuff up into my truck to take to a friends house. Then I realised I forgot the ice for the cooler. I set the laser stuff on the tailgate and went to get the ice, I come back and leave for my destination.

I go to drive onto the highway and forgot it was there. Keep in mind this is my brass bar lab laser I built:

IMG_1025.jpg

weights almost 5 pounds, heatsink, fan, driver, plug. all on top.

After realising I forgot to close the tailgate and put it in the cab, it was already too late... I was already at my destination and decided it was totally screwed. I leave later on in the night and out of curiosity, look around where I made my sharpest turn, and there it was! on the ground, driver shattered and gone, switch was still there, plug was still there, heatsink down the road a bit, fan not found, bolts not found (guess somebody's tire took those XD ), focusing ring totally destroyed... plus it was raining!

Ok. so after all this you'd think its screwed...

IT STILL WORKS!! WTF...

The threads on the aixiz module took some damage, so I need a vice and pliers to get it out.. Checked the diode...woks great! not a spec of dust on it!

A tightly fastened set-screw kept the module in place while it endured being run over by cars, trucks, and everything else for 3 something hours

Surprisingly, the lens is scratch-free as well! a bit dirty but no terrible scratches.

Here's what it looks like now

The damage to the bottom:
1003110038.jpg

The damage to the focusing ring. if this were the default aixiz plastic lens, I'm sure it would be destroyed!
1003110039.jpg

Here's the quick wiring I did to see if this thing still worked. Don't have parts for a new driver, so I just used my desk power supply:
1003110038a.jpg

Proof that it works. running at 1.90 amps(hardly visible beam because this is my phone camera)
1003110041.jpg

Ok... so next time... I will build a driver small enough to fit inside the brass bar, probably a flexdrive or 2 in the holds I've drilled, drill the module hole deeper and add another set screw, so the thing is totally nested inside, and will be protected by a huge piece of brass armor! Crush-proof! sweet!

Had I build this into any other housing, I'm sure it wouldn't have lived through this!

Cam453

That is amazing :eek: +1 for making a nearly indestructible build.

gksudo

That is amazing :eek: +1 for making a nearly indestructible build.

thanks man! haha. If I'd thought to put everything deeper inside the thing, nothing would have gotten destroyed. The driver was a bare circuit board on the top, so that's expected that it got destroyed. I'm just surprised nobody decided to cash in this huge piece of brass.

DrSid

Cool story bro .. seriously ..

Last edited:
Pretty cool! I'm sure those scratches will buff out easily ;)

Glad your laser survived its not so glorious journey!

That's a heck of a build you made yourself there.
What a story of abuse and the visual "awards" for all to see.
Could be the beginning of a new classification spec...armour rating. !:D
Well done !

gksudo

That's a heck of a build you made yourself there.
What a story of abuse and the visual "awards" for all to see.
Could be the beginning of a new classification spec...armour rating. !:D
Well done !

thanks!!

As far as total crush proofing, thats as easy as nesting the aixiz completely inside the bar. To make this one that has a driver onboard would be a bit harder.

Ha! From the title, I thought someone was in for a police report and the boot from the forum!

A few improvements on your design and it should be in totally indestructable.

Excellent story!

Patrick

Last edited:

gksudo

ok so i've put the module deeper in the thing so its completely secured inside and not exposed, though now I notice that when I connect my power supply, it will change brightness a few times and flicker almost as I raise it from 1 amp to 1.9 amps. at 2 amps it shuts off, then goes on again when I lower it. wtf

madog

Wow! Now that is a good story.
Not what I expected from the thread title though.

Whoa! That's impressive. And I thought the only reason for huge hunks of metal was heatsinking. Evidently they're also good insurance for when your laser decides to go all "road warrior" on you!:D

Looks like your lab laser really doesn't need to stay in the lab. Hell, with a couple of tweaks, it'll be suitable for the battlefield. Nice job!

-mega