Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My laser doesnt work?!?!?!?!

Garoq

Hmm should i try getting a new driver then if it still doesnt work i could let DTR troubleshoot it? I only have a normal HS so would i have to turn it off in like 30 secs if i use a 1.8a driver with my m140 diode?

You can try that, but keep in mind that an intermittent connection to the driver could also kill the diode. 30 seconds run time is probably safe with an aluminum heat sink and the other components you mentioned. Please understand that we're all speculating because we don't know all the circumstances involved in your build.

Rewkie

I'm sorry i didnt include this in my post but the heatsink i have is copper just not extended so... 45 secs? Maybe 50?

Blord

The best option is sending the host with driver back to Survival Laser. I am sure Garoq will look into it and fix it with a small fee in case something is wrong with it.

Rewkie

Allready ordered my 1.8a driver! Oh well i wanted the extra power anyway.

:lasergun:

Rewkie

Thanks Garoq! Oh and just ONE more thing. If my diode is burned out/broken in some way and i turn on the power will it break my driver again?

Garoq

It is possible if there is an open circuit. You should probably check the diode before hooking it up. I am willing to do that if you want, just cover the shipping cost. :)

Rewkie

Why thank you! What is the safty i have to take when shipping a diode? Are there any things i have to get to wrap it in or do i just ship it? And will you fix the diode for me if it's broken? If so just tell me how much i have to pay you, but if i have to get a new one that's fine with me. :D

Last edited:

Garoq

The diode should be packaged in a conductive plastic bag, and then packed with sufficient padding to keep it from getting damaged in transit. Unfortunately, if the diode is broken internally there is really no practical way to fix it...you will need to purchase a new one.

Rewkie

Oh ok? Where can i get this "conductive plastic bag"? And by "padding" i guess that means bubble wrap?

"Conductive plastic bags" anti static, you could maybe try ebay or something for them, or, I dont know if this will work, put a peice of foil over some playdoh or something, push the diode into the playdoh making sure the foil touches all the pins, and then wrap the foil around everywhere, then bubble wrap it like 2times. This may be wrong, but its all I can think of if you dont have access to anti static bags.

Garoq

Like Daawood said, aluminum foil will work. Yes, bubble wrap for packing is perfect.

Last edited:
Thats it, those are anti static bags. They will work, but again, so will foil. Up to you really. Good luck with your build, hopefully it turns out good.