Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My HeNe pointer

Yes, the only 6" size color I'm missing is yellow. Though honestly they're more just mind blowing and cool than useful. It boggles my mind that you can get green from a tube so small. I almost didn't believe it till I saw it. I don't fire it up often because I have a feeling that has a very short lifespan... At least by comparison to the other tubes. It only does something like 0.1mW, maybe 0.2 when all the planets align.

Last edited:
Occasionally I'll see a cylindrical PS show up on eBay or a surplus site. Maybe you could make it into a full-blown cylindrical pointer? That'd be awesome. :D

joeyss

My uni has a bunch of 0.95mw red henes. I had it compared to a regular red pointer and I could see the difference between despite them being the same brightness. I seen it being an organge red. Another time i had one pointed around 20-30 feet away and I was kinda shocked by the divergence it wasn't better then some red dioides we have today. They're big wall units that are about 30 years old. They have 5mw 520s too but no 405s which is kinda weird.

They really need to get some 638nm lasers.

200mw of that wl is mind blowingly bright. I made an improvised gun sight for my airsoft pistol and got it allinged right. It's weird seeing a red that bright. I remember my 200mw dilda I could hardly see the beam.

Yes, the only 6" size color I'm missing is yellow. Though honestly they're more just mind blowing and cool than useful. I boggles my mind that you can get green from a tube so small. I almost didn't believe it till I saw it. I don't fired up often because I have a feeling that has a very short lifespan... At least by comparison to the other tubes. It only does something like 0.1mW, maybe 0.2 when all the planets align.

My 6" night light tube I got from Laser Sam is also .1 mw. But it was a freebie with some other stuff i got.

It runs very well and been doing so for a few years. But not continuous.

I wouldn't think the 6" would have a shorter lifespan, maybe longer. I'd be more worried with a big HeNe with bore issues and magnets, etc. But I could be wrong.

My 6" night light tube I got from Laser Sam is also .1 mw. But it was a freebie with some other stuff i got.

It runs very well and been doing so for a few years. But not continuous.

I wouldn't think the 6" would have a shorter lifespan, maybe longer. I'd be more worried with a big HeNe with bore issues and magnets, etc. But I could be wrong.

Is it green or red? Do you know the model? The smaller diameter tubes generally do have a shorter life because there is less cathode to expend. All non red hene tubes generally have a shorter life also because they are filled at a lower pressure to help with the output.

Is it green or red? Do you know the model? The smaller diameter tubes generally do have a shorter life because there is less cathode to expend. All non red hene tubes generally have a shorter life also because they are filled at a lower pressure to help with the output.

That makes sense about the cathode. Mine is red. Newer 6" from group buy is still sitting waiting for portable install.