Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my handheld TEC-cooled ML501P73 almost finished

Less you use one of these 10 mm aspherical lenses instead and have a fat beam. Only one big problem, they won't fit in a axiZ module or standard lens holder:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36-pcs-Lig...heric-Lenses-Edge-Emitting-Laser/122716618230

For those interested, the emitter size is reported to be 2µm x 40µm. Looking at the ratio of the slow to fast axis on the beam profile showed at the waybackmachine link in my last post, I'm seeing closer to a 1 to 10 radio, but appearances may be deceiving.

These diodes were very expensive a few years ago, like close to 370.00 dollars each, now $25.

Last edited:

I was wondering when someone would put a TEC cooled diode in a handheld. Nice job. I have several of these diodes as they are dirt cheap now. I never tried pushing one to its limit as the divergence is terrible with this diode and not worth it to me. Great information out of this thread, though. :thanks:

I was wondering when someone would put a TEC cooled diode in a handheld. Nice job. I have several of these diodes as they are dirt cheap now. I never tried pushing one to its limit as the divergence is terrible with this diode and not worth it to me. Great information out of this thread, though. :thanks:

thanks paul,yea the divergence is terrible but its the only way for a high power red :)

Have you done the TEC with the 700mW Oclaro? =_= + rep

thanks hakzaw,no i never tried with the oclaro because i knew that the mitsubishi can be pushed harder but i don't really know what the oclaro can do with a tec.

My Oclaro does 938 mw out of the pointer after collimation using a G2, without a TEC.

Donno, MrCrouse built.

i bet its running around 1.2A according to DTR's power test

yr3d.jpg

Seems like a reasonable conclusion. I'd say you are pretty lucky it is still going, Chris, at that current. I lost my Oclaros as have many others pushing them over 1 amp. I know others have had positive experiences with it, but that seems to be the exception and not the norm.

Seems like a reasonable conclusion. I'd say you are pretty lucky it is still going, Chris, at that current. I lost my Oclaros as have many others pushing them over 1 amp. I know others have had positive experiences with it, but that seems to be the exception and not the norm.

the weird thing is that oclaro's have max rated current 1.1A on the datasheet but there is not any big headroom for pushing after that

Last edited:
driver made in china-i think it very bad

Interesting. Sort of asinine and backhanded in the 3D LaSerwhatever style. Popping in to a build thread and leaving a single line, negative comment without including any qualifiers and then bouncing out seems like some under the bridge behavior.

To clarify, did you see the driver in one of his build pictures, identify it visually (since I don't believe he identified it, at least not in this thread) then post about it's inferiority (above) while making no comment about the rest of his laser, no explanation about why or as to what experience with that driver you had that led you to post that, nor bother to identify the driver so that your post could serve to help others?

I've got to say.. on the surface it appears that your reason for your post really has nothing to do with what you wrote in your post. If that makes any sense to anybody :)
If I'm completely mistaken here, please forgive me!

On the subject of the laser in this thread, nice build btw :) I like your style!

Also, on the topic of the high power reds, I find it a bit curious that nobody has made a build with the new Sharp 700mw multimode red.. nor is there any power tests or anything! According to someone over at PhotonLexicon, the quick test reported showed a lower divergence compared with the Oclaro and Mits with a slightly larger initial beam diameter... which seems like a + to me and anyone not trying to pass the beam through a pair of scanner mirrors! I'll be ordering one soon along with a mits to compare it to and post the results, though I don't have an LPM to compare it's output.

TL:DR

Mr. Phuoc seems like a troll; nice build; what's up with the Sharp 700? ;-)

-Edit-

After looking at this later in the day I'm starting to second guess myself if I made an appropriate observation of Trinh's demeanor and my perceived intent of his posts.. I'm in no way trying to start any bickering and may be overthinking due to the frequent trolls on LPF... I feel like I've picked up a similarity between various trolls lately and the language and tactics that several of them have used and may have misidentified that here. If I'm mistaken I will immediately remove my prior comment regarding Trinh, I'm just trying to protect this place from malice but at the same time I don't want to contribute to the very thing I'm concerned about
:beer:

Last edited:
epic thread...dual mitsub in the works
thanks,i definetly want to see the results on that :wave:

driver made in china-i think it very bad

those are simple linear(edit:i wrote buck by fault) drivers capable of 800ma each max,although cheap works great for me on every red build i have and never had failure yet

Interesting. Sort of asinine and backhanded in the 3D LaSerwhatever style. To clarify, did you see the driver in one of his build pictures, identify it visually (since I don't believe he identified it, at least not in this thread) then post about it's inferiority (above) while making no comment about the rest of his laser, no explanation about why or what experience with that driver you had which led you to post that, nor bother to identify the driver so that your post had some use to other people?

I've got to say.. on the surface it appears that your post really has nothing to do with what you wrote in your post. If that makes any sense to anybody :)

If I'm completely mistaken here, please forgive me!

On the subject of the laser in this thread, nice build btw :) I like your style!

Also, on the topic of the high power reds, I find it a bit curious that nobody has made a build with the new Sharp 700mw multimode red.. nor is there any power tests or anything! According to someone over at PhotonLexicon, the quick test reported showed a lower divergence compared with the Oclaro and Mits with a slightly larger initial beam diameter... which seems like a + to me and anyone not trying to pass the beam through a pair of scanner mirrors! I'll be ordering one soon along with a mits to compare it to and post the results, though I don't have an LPM to compare it's output.

TL:DR

Mr. Phuoc seems like a troll; nice build; what's up with the Sharp 700? ;-)

thanks for your kind words,the output results of the new sharp was a bit lower than mits so its a trade of between power and divergence but i would like to see a build and results of this diode.if you work with it don't forget to give us a nice review :)

Last edited: