Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First Thread!

Jayge91

Hello!
New to the forums and figured I ought to show off my first build. Definitely happy with it!

SL S4 Host, eBay A140 diode, and 1.25A driver (playing it safe).
I don't have a power meter yet, so not sure on output.
Next on my list: High power 465 and a pocket 532nm pen.

And before someone asks: Yes, I have safety glasses lol ;)
IMG_20181105_151428.jpgIMG_20181105_151907.jpgIMG_20181105_150757.jpgIMG_20181107_211831.jpg

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Jayge91. :)
Nice first build, thanks for sharing. An A-140 can be anywhere up to 1.8W. Expect more around 1.5-1.6W.
Enjoy your stay! (y)

Very nice first build. I would add a focus knob to the front of your lens housing as you will get burned fingers trying to adjust it as it is. Good luck on your next acquisitions.

Jayge91

Thanks guys! I know it sounds sad but I'm kinda hoping it dies. I have a PLTB450 on standby, and I've heard it has a better divergence and can handle more power. That, and I'm a tinkerer, so I won't be able to leave it alone haha!

Paul, I actually just received my G2 lens with focusing ring the other day. I mainly use the 3 element for getting a cleaner dot for long range pointing. I think it'll prove useful being able to point out a target at the gun range 300 yards out, just gotta get the focus set, and it's good for the day. I don't mind clicking it on and off.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Jayge91! :)

That's a very nice first build. No need for your existing laser to die just to build your new PLTB450.
You can't have too many lasers, a companion for your SL S4 would be perfect. ;)
Good to see that you're aware of proper eyewear needed for these!

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

Reactions: GSS
WELCOME!!!
Shame you do not have a LPM AND because you have kept us from knowing your location...nobody can reach out to help you--the forum has traditions and one is; meter any laser any time and do it for free...
AFAIK we allow new members to make a second (& better) intro.
And he uses his location in his title. I "HOPE' it is 'HELLO from TEXAS'
We have a fine group of members and most have met on another in person.
We share --we help=we try to have Laser Entausist Meetings--and more members means better for all.
BUT there are LEMs around the world--to see vids & pics of, IMO , the #1 LEM --SEARCH 'SELEM LASER' NOW 5 days long!!!.

hope to see your other intro--hak in TX

Jayge91

a companion for your SL S4 would be perfect. ;)
I already have a companion in the works with the N465, just waiting for DTR's package to arrive. Though I suppose I could do a tiny build with a couple flexdrives. A 14-16mm host would be very interesting.

Thanks for the warm welcome hak! I'm in California. I guess I forgot to put that in there haha. I'm gonna put some time in on my profile and get things filled in tonight, and I'll probably post a new intro tomorrow if I can get around to it.
I have spent a lot of time browsing the laser safety and new members threads and stickies. I actually came across yours first and got a couple of giggles out of the Dumb Ways to Blind video. Honestly it shames me though, to see that some of the safety items should need be brought up. I'd like to think that a lot of it is common sense, but in today's world, I guess we can't expect too much. It's good that it's there, though. I'd hate to see someone hurt themselves in ignorance. Heck, I even had my safety glasses (and an extra set for friends to use) ordered as soon as I decided on my wavelength for my first build.

I have an electrical background, so far mainly with radar systems, and have been slowly building my own arsenal of electrical test equipment over the years. I typically dive headlong into hobbies, so I'm sure it won't be long before I have a LPM. The LaserBee has been catching my eye so far, but I've been keeping my eye out for a decent commercial setup at a good price.

Hi J,
Looking good first build, and beam shots keep up the good work well done. Oh that build would look great with a nice focus adapter to finish off the front sink. IMG_2416.JPG
Rich:)

GSS

Welcome to LPF, Jayge91! :)

That's a very nice first build. No need for your existing laser to die just to build your new PLTB450.
You can't have too many lasers, a companion for your SL S4 would be perfect. ;)
Good to see that you're aware of proper eyewear needed for these!

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.
Agreed no need to kill of your A140. Even though you like to tinker and work out things for your self you might wan't to look at one of Lifetime17's plug and play host's. Just two wire's to hook up and done. He has plenty of 501B host's nicely sinked for way cheaper than you might think and want to mention you "will" like the the beam spec's of your PLTB450B1.. I have one at 1.8A with a G2 lens and see no need for any other lens:)

Last edited:
Hello!
New to the forums and figured I ought to show off my first build. Definitely happy with it!

SL S4 Host, eBay A140 diode, and 1.25A driver (playing it safe).
I don't have a power meter yet, so not sure on output.
Next on my list: High power 465 and a pocket 532nm pen.

And before someone asks: Yes, I have safety glasses lol ;)
View attachment 62148View attachment 62149View attachment 62150View attachment 62151
Nice!! Love the beam shots too. They can be tricky. Used fog-or Vape?

Jayge91

Pelagius, I actually didn't use anything at all for the beam shots. Maybe the San Diego air is just that bad? lol
Honestly it's just so freaking bright, it's super easy to get a picture with my phone.