Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First Build!

Ezcal

Ever since I joined LPF, I've wanted to build my own laser, mainly a 445. My first 'build' was modifying a green pen from DX to use a higher powered module.

My first real build was a PHR803-T, which I broke a pin off and left to rot.

This time, I found a nice writeup and tutorial by DTR, using Moh's sweet little Blue Hotlights kit. I ordered all the parts and the final part showed up yesterday, so I decided to build it.

So, pictures!

Diode pre-pressed and soldered, courtesy of DTR:
dscn1383u.jpg

Positive battery contact:
dscn1376c.jpg

Flexdrive soldered to the battery contact:
dscn1377a.jpg

Module screwed in to the heatsink, with AixiZ glass (courtesy of jayrob):
dscn1384k.jpg

At this point I apparently stopped taking pictures during the build, so here are some I just took:

Flexdrive all soldered up (excuse the tape, I forgot to heatshrink the negative/case leads):
dscn1386c.jpg

Reverse shot of the Flexdrive:
dscn1387c.jpg

All wrapped up to prevent shorting:
dscn1388.jpg

A little cramped, but it fits:
dscn1392z.jpg

OH MY GOD IT WORKS!
With flash:
dscn1393c.jpg

Without flash:
dscn1395t.jpg

Originally when I posted this, I was going to ask for help since it wasn't turning on, but now... YAY, SUCCESS!

Holy hell this is cool... And my cheap glasses work to block it!

So, for those who are wondering, it's a Flexdrive V5 set by drlava at 700mA, running on a 22600 battery, as suggested by DTR. I had to superglue the spacer inside the host so the larger battery didn't shift it. And I'm using an AixiZ glass lens with the knob on it from jayrob.

I just want to say thanks to DTR for the help, and FlaminPyro for the awesome wire and flux... That stuff made soldering a snap. I probably would have failed miserably without it.

I can't wait to see this at night...

Last edited:

Re: My First Big Kill

Congrats!! It feels good to do one yourself. Now you're ready for your next kit.

I was like, YAY IM THE MAN when I built my cree c6 1 W 445 laser. I know how you fell :) Congrats on your build! It's nice to see that members DIT( do it themselves ).

Ezcal

Thanks! I'm having lots of fun outside pointing at the clouds. I haven't used it inside without my goggles, and I don't plan to... This is my first laser over about 50mW and it's a bit scary. Someone here on LPF said to treat high powered lasers like loaded guns, and that's what I'm doing. I'm definitely only using this one outside with people around.

Oh, is it just me, or does 445nm look decidedly violet? I was under the impression that this was more ov a blue color, as evidenced by all the pictures here. Cameras aren't real life obviously, but there are so many blue pictures. Maybe my eyes are a bit weird.

jib77

Oh, is it just me, or does 445nm look decidedly violet? I was under the impression that this was more ov a blue color, as evidenced by all the pictures here. Cameras aren't real life obviously, but there are so many blue pictures. Maybe my eyes are a bit weird.

There is manufacturing and operating variances from diode to diode ... my first 445 build was a deep blue, almost purple. It was running it a 500mA. My second build is more solid blue and its running at 1.2A.
BTW digital cameras struggle to replicate certain colors accurately ... especially deep reds, blues, and violets.

Last edited:

Garoq

Thanks! I'm having lots of fun outside pointing at the clouds. I haven't used it inside without my goggles, and I don't plan to... This is my first laser over about 50mW and it's a bit scary. Someone here on LPF said to treat high powered lasers like loaded guns, and that's what I'm doing. I'm definitely only using this one outside with people around.

Congratulations on your success! Yes, I find that there is a violet "aura" around the beam when used outside in the dark. And definitely treat a high powered laser like a loaded gun, don't store it with the batteries installed, etc.

Congrats on your build! Sometimes you have to take it apart a few times to get it right. It does feel great to build your own, and see that light come out the end.:gj:

vk2fro

Congrats - I got a kick out of building mine yesterday as well (well building my first). A friend is buying it from me, but a kit is awaitng a flexdrive which will be my personal 445 portable. Glad you got around the not working problem - what was the problem by the way? mine worked fine right after assembly, but then I pulled the aixiz out to put heatsink grease on there to aid heat transfer.

Its a great little laser, and I'm sure my mate will appreaciate it.

Ezcal

Thanks everyone, nothing quite like a DIY job done right, whether it's computers, speakers, or lasers. :D

As for why it didn't work, I honestly have no idea. I didn't change anything when I took it apart today, just unwrapped the electrical tape, took a few pictures, put the tape back on, and smushed the components back into the host.

But this time when I put the battery in and flicked it on, BOOM! Purple light everywhere! And it really is purple, the first beam picture I put up is a pretty accurate color representation; my brother's camera can apparently take a good laser picture.

TTerbo

change the title by clicking "edit" then "advanced options" or something like that.
congrats on the build