Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My dog chases lasers.

I found out by accident that my golden retriever likes chasing laser dots. And by accident I mean I was shining a laser down my hallway and she came running after the dot like a demented fluffy torpedo. I've found its a good way to let her blow off some steam on days its too hot for a walk, and I decided to film it. Just used a green ebay pen, probably not super duper eye safe but I'm pretty careful and otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the dot.

Anyway, thought the people here would enjoy, seeing as dogs chasing lasers isn't terribly common. (at least to my knowledge)

Last edited:

BobMc

Haaaa, your going to drive that dog crazy. :crackup:

That would be the lazy man's way to walk their dog. ( Works for me! ) :D

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Blarg King, try it with just the youtube code "zPQRkgzk1Rs" minus the quotation marks, and put it between the youtube symbols.
If you get it to work I'll delete my video.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Benm

Seems pretty cool - i've seen plenty of cats go hunting the dot, but i guess some dogs want to that as well.

Looks like the dog is enjoying it's laser hunt to me. No idea how long it wll last though, a dog migt get bored with attempting to retrieve something it can never catch. Then again you could just run the laser dot back to your feet once in a while and give the dog some food as a reward - it'll probably work out well since you both benefit from this arrangement :D

Haha, that dog is going crazy! The above idea might actually not be too bad, having a reward every so often. Good to see you posting again :)

-Alex

Seems pretty cool - i've seen plenty of cats go hunting the dot, but i guess some dogs want to that as well.

Looks like the dog is enjoying it's laser hunt to me. No idea how long it wll last though, a dog migt get bored with attempting to retrieve something it can never catch. Then again you could just run the laser dot back to your feet once in a while and give the dog some food as a reward - it'll probably work out well since you both benefit from this arrangement :D

I've been doing this a few weeks now and so far she hasn't gotten bored. But I'll probably do like you've suggested just to keep her interested.

Radim

ROFL. :D

Our dog also chases lasers. He is fascinated by them. He even knows I do it and when I hold laser he requests me to shine it to chase it. I even use it as dog remote control. Make sure the dot is not close to his head, careful on shiny objects and dog crossing the beam. I use pointer or my Evo at lowest power (it could be around 10 mW), for far dot (like more than 50 meters) I even put full power (during day only), but when dog approaches it to the level it could be dangerous I switch it off or reduce it. No accident happened, everything has been safe, but special care is needed therefore I strongly recommend not to use high powered lasers.
Also the blink reflex protection on class 3R (or IIIa) and below is for human eye, dog's eye is different - therefore even "eye safe" for us might be dangerous for dogs (I'm not aware of any study but better is to be safe than sorry).

Also be aware it is not very healthy for dog's psychics - they chase something they will never catch (no prey reward) and they might start to chase light (for example sun coming through window or tree branches). For occasional play it is ok, but vast majority should be common dog toys.

In comparsion our cat does not care about lasers. He is just watching it, but not with that hunter's look.

My concern was for the dog as well. I know you are careful, but that's why they call them accidents.

Benm

I'm not sure about the danger of damage between human and dog eyes from bright light. I reckon it would be similar since the eyes are of similar design, and don't have the reflective layer to make them more sensitive under dark conditions like cats eyes.

Also dogs may enjoy the whole experience quite a bit - many like to retrieve things like thrown sticks, balls, frisbees and such just as well, despite these things not being edible and not even collecting a food reward from their owners every time they do it.

Dogs have obviously been domesticated for this purpose, they retrieve things you kill while hunting. If a laser dot is something you can retrieve or not may be questionable to us, but i suppose the dog doesnt really care that much if it receives the same attention, treats and what not compared to retrieving a ball.

There is nothing wrong with it though, some people have dogs that like to retrieve balls, and effortlessly swing tennis balls over vast distances with a racket to send the dog running after it, over and over again.

As long as you don't punish the dog for not retrieving it there is to problem there - if the dog didn't want to retrieve the object it could just not do so.

Most normal dogs just do, though i would not expect it off a chihuahua or somthing like that - unless it was a cotton ball that goes no further than a few feet :D

LOL That's funny stuff !

I use to do that with my moms dog but she would always tell me to "stop teasing the dog" because she thought it was somehow cruel to the dog but the dog was having the time of his life and wanted more ! Now all they do is lay around the house and get fat, My mom is great at raising fat dogs.......

My mom doesn't know jack about dogs !

Last edited:
I'm not sure what it is but my dog gets a little obsessive about the laser. It's gotten to the point where he will still search for the dot 20minutes after its put away. I had to stop using it because it seemed like he was getting distressed at the fact that he couldn't catch it. My cat doesn't care for it whatsoever though :crackup:

LOL That's funny stuff !

I use to do that with my moms dog but she would always tell me to "stop teasing the dog" because she thought it was somehow cruel to the dog but the dog was having the time of his life and wanted more ! Now all they do is lay around the house and get fat, My mom is great at raising fat dogs.......

My mom doesn't know jack about dogs !

How old are you? For some reason I thought you were a watch repairman who worked in aviation for years.

How old are your dogs?

You are in your 20's Right?

How could you have fat dogs alive that your mom, wait in this thread you said you moved into your house in 1990 and worked in aviation

>>>>> http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/w...ds-knowing-my-hobby-100771-4.html#post1482796

Your timeline means your dogs are very old.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Radim

My concern was for the dog as well. I know you are careful, but that's why they call them accidents.

Just to clarify: When I use laser I never leave dog getting to the dot nor crossing the beam. When more power is used it is just to attract his attention for long range run, when he gets closer the power is reduced. I never use higher power in night or when there is a snow. What I see convenient for me to observe that is the maximum I use for dog. So even reflected eye safe pointer dot might be not convenient at few cm/inches. The better for safety is to keep dot more less still and be aware of beam path. You can move it slowly to encourage the dog, but this might increase a danger.

I'm not sure about the danger of damage between human and dog eyes from bright light. I reckon it would be similar since the eyes are of similar design, and don't have the reflective layer to make them more sensitive under dark conditions like cats eyes.

Also dogs may enjoy the whole experience quite a bit - many like to retrieve things like thrown sticks, balls, frisbees and such just as well, despite these things not being edible and not even collecting a food reward from their owners every time they do it.

Dogs have obviously been domesticated for this purpose, they retrieve things you kill while hunting. If a laser dot is something you can retrieve or not may be questionable to us, but i suppose the dog doesnt really care that much if it receives the same attention, treats and what not compared to retrieving a ball.

There is nothing wrong with it though, some people have dogs that like to retrieve balls, and effortlessly swing tennis balls over vast distances with a racket to send the dog running after it, over and over again.

As long as you don't punish the dog for not retrieving it there is to problem there - if the dog didn't want to retrieve the object it could just not do so.

Most normal dogs just do, though i would not expect it off a chihuahua or somthing like that - unless it was a cotton ball that goes no further than a few feet :D

Also I'm not sure - however it depends on many factors (pupil size, color sensitivity to induce blink reflex, optical properties - focusability...), therefore I would not be surprised the damage treshold would be different.

My girlfriend's grandfather's dog is crazy about retrieving things, he always demands it and puts a ball or something in your hand, or to you and waits for a throw...

ROFL about chihuahua. :D

I'm not sure what it is but my dog gets a little obsessive about the laser. It's gotten to the point where he will still search for the dot 20minutes after its put away. I had to stop using it because it seemed like he was getting distressed at the fact that he couldn't catch it. My cat doesn't care for it whatsoever though :crackup:

The same case here about obsession. That's why use it rarely after I realized that. I think it is like addiction on drug... Look on us, we are also addicted on lasers. :D However for dog I think this might be the sign when to stop and replace laser with different stuff to play with. I've read stories when dogs got into trouble to be obsessed by any light to the level they do not care about anything else and that brought them to serious deprivation or depression.

How old are you? For some reason I thought you were a watch repairman who worked in aviation for years.

How old are your dogs?

You are in your 20's Right?

How could you have fat dogs alive that your mom, wait in this thread you said you moved into your house in 1990 and worked in aviation

>>>>> http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/w...ds-knowing-my-hobby-100771-4.html#post1482796

Your timeline means your dogs are very old.
Get real, Your being absurd..... If your confused go back and re-read everything until you figure it out......

Here's a tip, I don't have any dogs and i didn't say i did !

EDIT - Why would you take a fun little moment of sharing and turn it into some kind of 3rd degree ??? :wtf:

Last edited:
Because some things don't add up, I think some members don't believe you are the real Accu, truth or consequences?