Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My awesome fun with a 445 (sarcasm)

TTerbo

if i get more requests i will get out of bed an fire up my cap bank

Do it!

I'll give you a cookie...

On a side note, I wish I still had a cap bank. I traded it for a silly hat. T_T.

It might cheer you up a bit. Might as well get a laugh out of it.

TTerbo

il give you my cap bank :p
i even have 4 massive ass caps
what will you give me?

I dunno. Most of my gear is either dead or FUBAR. *cries in a hole*

On the upside, I have a Maxwell 37667. I might sell that off to pay for a PHR build and a sound card/headset.

Don't give up on the 445nm diodes. They are "much" more robust than the phr violet diodes that I LED'd right and left. It's part of the hobby. I'm really suspecting that you didn't completely drain the capacitor in your power supply. You need to give it some time to drain, not just a quick tap together. And the colour at higher powers can't be beat in the "bang for buck" category. Save up some more dough, and try again but you might want to try a new power supply just to be sure. You didn't hook it up backwards by chance? :)

TTerbo

nope i did everything by the book it lit up first try then LEDd

May it be that the first rkcstr setup got really hot and malfunctioned at 423ma ? Check that rkcstr driver output. For sure you don't want to ruin another diode.

Test the driver with a testload and a DMM.

Make sure it's not the driver.

Have you tried the diode with another driver yet?

Howdy I have messed with many of these 445 diodes and this would only be the second one I have heard of going away this easy.
Of course I wasn't there so I can't say what you did exactly but I would not write off your $60.00 just yet !
It sounds to me you may still be under driving this diode, instead of just blowing it up why don't you send it to Bobhaha and let him try with it, wouldn't it be great if it is one of the tuffies that just eats more current and you are only under driving it !

And for $60.00 I think I would try it on more than one driver if you don't have an other driver then do you have any resistors, put a resistor in series with your LD as a current limmiter and power it up monitor the current and turn the voltage up till you get 600ma if it's still LEDing then put the caps to it :evil:

Rember out of a HS you can only run it a second !

Last edited:
Howdy I have messed with many of these 445 diodes and this would only be the second one I have heard of going away this easy.
Of course I wasn't there so I can't say what you did exactly but I would not write off your $60.00 just yet !
It sounds to me you may still be under driving this diode, instead of just blowing it up why don't you send it to Bobahaha and let him try with it, wouldn't it be great if it is one of the tuffies that just eats more current and you are only under driving it !

And for $60.00 I think I would try it on more than one driver if you don't have an other driver then do you have any resistors, put a resistor in series with your LD as a current limmiter and power it up monitor the current and turn the voltage up till you get 600ma if it's still LEDing then put the caps to it :evil:

Rember out of a HS you can only run it a second !

Eh, glad you didn't put the caps to it just yet, aren't ya?

TTerbo

i dissembled my PHR and cranked the driver upto 610 which was its max and its still an LED :( so thats 3 drivers so far :(
THIS IS THE SHITTEST THING EVER!! i wish it worked :(

If it's been three drivers then chances are it's actually LED'd.

These diodes should be a little more robust than that, surely.

Either you can test it with your lab supply at 5V or send it off to the caps.

yeah i hav this ESD wriststrap thingo......
and its definatly LED i would even send it to bobhaha for him to confirm it...
i am 98% sure i didnt o anything wrong :( shitty casio projector grrrrr

It's the 2% that you need to worry about...:cryyy:
(There is nothing wrong with the Casio projector)

Don't feel bad... this summer (due to my own negligence) I managed
to blow 3 high power LDs at a cost near $1000.00...

Like some one posted... $h!t happens...
It's part of the learning curve....

BTW... before you tried all the other suggestions offered above...
I would have put my money on the batteries not supplying enough
voltage to the Linear driver...
Since you subjected the LD to the other suggestions before doing
some basic test of your original setup.... you probably did blow your
LD by now... IMO

Jerry