Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 6X Cylindrical corrected nubm44

Well...great to see another member push the envelop and employ Cylindrical lenses !!!

For now....this is our only accessible tool to correct the bar-like output of the Multi-modes.

It does work !! Again....for the gazillionth time...the farfield beam is not a perfect square....or a circle...but more like a rectangle....that is close to square....with very rounded corners !

First time I have seen the UV glue used to fix the C-Lenses. Neat and simple...I have used 5min epoxy....but not the UV adhesive !!

I tried to correct the NUMB044E I had with a set of 6X....but was not happy with the results !! Maybe I had a bad diode ???

If you can....please measure the width of the beam....say at 25 feet !!!
Easy way to do this....just use a sheet of black construction paper....let the beam burn a footprint into the paper....then just measure that mark !!!

It is great that you have gotten good results....with the relatively inexpensive
G2 collimation lens !! This lens will likely give you the most power also...vs 3 element or other !!!

One final question....how did you attach the rectangular Aluminum platform that is the support for the C-lenses...bolted on ???

In all my designs....I just machine the front piece to the round OD....then machine down the front end to deliver a circle chord where the C-lens optics are fixed.

But then....one needs the machines to do this ! Your approach is more elementary...but...it works perfect !! And no need for a small machine shop !!

Thank you for sharing !! We push the hobby ahead...inch by inch !!!

Beam out :san:

Thanx RC.....Per the Pseudonomen137 divergence calculator...using a Near field beam diameter of 2mm....and a Far field diameter of 11mm ( at 24 feet distance...or...7.32M)...one gets a divergence of 1.23 mRad......which is very good....especially at approx. 6W !! Likely the best power density for a single LD we have seen !!

I still want to experiment with a 2mm EFL collimation lens ....possibly might lower the divergence even a little more ?? Dunno.

Nice way to construct the optical platform attachment to the heat sink !! KISS principle all the way...coupled with the UV glue method !!... Many could follow this lead and jump into corrective optics !! Thanx ! Beam out

Last edited:
I got in on the GB for these optics, and I knew I'd be sitting on them for a while before I had a chance to do a build with them. It's cool to see a your build, and it gives me some good ideas for when I'm able to start my own build! So thank you for this thread! :gj: And I hope you post up some stuff when you get the next one done with the beam expander or telescopic reducer, as when I build mine I think I'm going to go all out, and was thinking of incorporating something like that. Would love to see how that turns out as well!

I do have access to a mill and a lathe, but they're manual operation, so I'm pretty limited on what I can do. That and the bit selection is crap. I'd like to start trying to cut threads, but I can't with the lack of tools. Pulling some material off of the diameter of an aluminum tube can be done easily though.

You have really done such a marvelous job with this, especially being able to get it into a portable form, off the the optics bench so to speak, and the extension covered as well!

Awesome! I always thought that a 405 would be great for curing UV glue. I didn't think of cylindrical lens's for FAC, great job with the design!

Wow that laser looks simply awesome!! I think you just motivated me to get off my lazy butt and finally put my cylinders to use on my NUBM44. I hope I get the same results as you which I think I should given we have similar collimating lenses.

Once again awesome job!