Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 6W 445nm Laser!!!

ARG

as my meter only goes to 5W.

You have an Ophir head, right?

It's easy enough to modify whatever you have to read 10W.

Just got to increase the supply voltage to the head and increase the range of whatever is reading the voltage.

An excellent build! and Incredible Host:beer: I'll have to see about possibly asking Ehgemus for one

Last edited:
Love it, awesome job styro.
6w so cool !
I enjoy you videos, you inspired me with your previous attacknid drone.
I'm planing on building one too, already have the Attacknid.

Thanks for sharing.
RB

:gj:

It may be doing closer to 5200mW, that's the number DTR's site shows @ 4A.

unless you got a crazy efficient one. only a matter of time before someone combines two of these for a ~10W 445, maybe ricktrent has already

the price on these has gone down some, I'm considering getting another even though I have the PL-E pro already

thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

IsaacT

This is fantastic! I am loving the new style of your videos by the way. I may have to scrape the bottom of the bank account and purchase on of these diodes. Although then I need to make sure and build it into something that can handle it.

yes, back of diode heat sinking for sure, warp it up in copper. that's my plan for the 1W 520, got a DominatoR husk awaiting. the PL-E pro gets warm pretty quick, beeen staying with 2 min duty cycles. just so much power. first laser to completely drain (well, almost completely, not enough to kill the cell) my 26650s. I'd always recharged them before dying, but this laser is hungry. I would not try to power one with 18350s or 16340s unless short runtimes are ok with you.

BTW

@styropyro, being stupidly powerful IS the reason to own one, to keep 'em out of unresponsible people's hands. HA HA.

seriously though, nichi@ doesn't want these in HHLs, grey of JL shared some info and a pic with me regarding that, but the cat is out of the bag. I guess when they come from nichi@, they are encased in a very difficult to remove housing to encourage projector use as opposed to HH I guess. they have to be painstakingly removed. some of the high prices are due to this too, nichi@ is picky with who they sell 'em to, even JL has had trouble. so the few that do get them realize this, and mark 'em up. I imagine, some of this is speculation, but it adds up to me. not sure why they would feel responsible for actions others take with their products. from a business standpoint, shouldn't they be trying to sell as many units as possible? Imagine if gun manufacturers took the same stance. or knives, anything remotely dangerous. most companies will choose profit over public safety every time, funny that in this instance, it's annoying to me, but I'm never a fan of protecting people from themselves

Last edited:

DTR

Looking great. Keep the videos coming.:beer:

I've seen your videos on youtube! I didn't realize you started here at LPF, but I mean it makes sense. Anyway, nice build, I enjoyed the vid.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

You have an Ophir head, right?

It's easy enough to modify whatever you have to read 10W.

Just got to increase the supply voltage to the head and increase the range of whatever is reading the voltage.
I didn't realize it was that easy to get an Ophir head to read 10W. I'll add that to the list of projects to tackle for the summer!

An excellent build! and Incredible Host:beer: I'll have to see about possibly asking Ehgemus for one
I love my hosts from Ehgemus, he is a talented machinist. He is making me another 2x 18650 host that I'm going to use with my 1.4W 462nm laser diode. Just send him a PM on what you want and he will be sure to hook you up!

yes, back of diode heat sinking for sure, warp it up in copper. that's my plan for the 1W 520, got a DominatoR husk awaiting. the PL-E pro gets warm pretty quick, beeen staying with 2 min duty cycles. just so much power. first laser to completely drain (well, almost completely, not enough to kill the cell) my 26650s. I'd always recharged them before dying, but this laser is hungry. I would not try to power one with 18350s or 16340s unless short runtimes are ok with you.

BTW

@styropyro, being stupidly powerful IS the reason to own one, to keep 'em out of unresponsible people's hands. HA HA.

seriously though, nichi@ doesn't want these in HHLs, grey of JL shared some info and a pic with me regarding that, but the cat is out of the bag. I guess when they come from nichi@, they are encased in a very difficult to remove housing to encourage projector use as opposed to HH I guess. they have to be painstakingly removed. some of the high prices are due to this too, nichi@ is picky with who they sell 'em to, even JL has had trouble. so the few that do get them realize this, and mark 'em up. I imagine, some of this is speculation, but it adds up to me. not sure why they would feel responsible for actions others take with their products. from a business standpoint, shouldn't they be trying to sell as many units as possible? Imagine if gun manufacturers took the same stance. or knives, anything remotely dangerous. most companies will choose profit over public safety every time, funny that in this instance, it's annoying to me, but I'm never a fan of protecting people from themselves
The module that this laser diode came in from DTR has back of the diode heatsinking which is really nice. I did not know those types of modules were being made. :D

As for Nichi@ not wanting these in handheld lasers, I can see where they are coming from. The hobby market provides so little profit when compared to mass production uses that the risk of bad publicity from handheld lasers is not worth it for them.

That being said, I am not of a fan of protecting people from themselves either. :D

I see you think me calling them nichi@ here is a good idea. after the c@$io debacle around here, which preceded my tenure, I figure it's a good idea. do all we can to keep it on the D.L. so they are less likely to take notice, and action.

I suppose one could agrue it's protecting people from other people, because in theory, I can't stop someone else from blinding me. I also don't know anyone malicious enough to get a laser very powerful just for nefarious purposes, though I imagine they're out there. at least with these new particularly powerful ones, the cost to do this is higher, not many will spend hundreds just to be a nuisance

as far as bad publicity, when is the last time someone blamed beretta for a shooting, cold steel for a stabbing, or honda for a vehicular homicide? seems absurd to me.

IsaacT

as far as bad publicity, when is the last time someone blamed beretta for a shooting, cold steel for a stabbing, or honda for a vehicular homicide? seems absurd to me.

People are ALWAYS blaming guns for shootings. As for knives and cars, thats another story. But guns have it worse off than us.

blame guns yes, but not blame a specific company like beretta, glock, kimber, browning, etc.