Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my 589nm pointer is broken, please help

Sowee7

hello everyone, can someone help me as my 589nm cni glp is broken, i see some ir coming out and i hear a rattling coming from the driver board please help me and tell me whats wrong

Can you provide any more info that might help diagnose the problem?
First thing to check is always the battery.
I'm not sure what the rattling could be... I've taken one of these apart before and there isn't much that could come loose. Has this pointer been modified or subjected to physical shock in any way?

Don't look into the IR. It can be dangerous.

Gabe

i mean if there’s suspected IR leaking out and you hear rattling it’s a pretty guilty sign of the crystals responsible for harmonic summing and frequency doubling have come loose, in which case im sorry to say you’re almost certainly hoopajooped :(

i mean if there’s suspected IR leaking out and you hear rattling it’s a pretty guilty sign of the crystals responsible for harmonic summing and frequency doubling have come loose, in which case im sorry to say you’re almost certainly hoopajooped :(
Not necessarily. If the rattling is coming from the driver, like Sowee7 says, there may still be hope.
Even if the crystals have come loose, realignment is possible.

Gabe

Not necessarily. If the rattling is coming from the driver, like Sowee7 says, there may still be hope.
Even if the crystals have come loose, realignment is possible.
How could the IR light leak happen then? I could only think of that happening with misaligned crystals. Could just IR output happen if the driver board is broken and not enough power is getting to the pump diode or something?
OP, if that is the problem and you do end up manually fixing the crystal alignment, please do share, i’ve never seen something like that attempted on a yellow CNI laser before

Sowee7

How could the IR light leak happen then? I could only think of that happening with misaligned crystals. Could just IR output happen if the driver board is broken and not enough power is getting to the pump diode or something?
OP, if that is the problem and you do end up manually fixing the crystal alignment, please do share, i’ve never seen something like that attempted on a yellow CNI laser before
I couldn't find out what it was, but one thing that severely shortened the lifespan is my crazy classmate who sprayed table sanitizer in it and threw it across the classroom. That kid is known for breaking lasera, he also broke one of my henes and a multiline dpss lasers i had. That kid is crazy.

julianthedragon

I couldn't find out what it was, but one thing that severely shortened the lifespan is my crazy classmate who sprayed table sanitizer in it and threw it across the classroom. That kid is known for breaking lasera, he also broke one of my henes and a multiline dpss lasers i had. That kid is crazy.
I wish there was a laughing + sad react. Did the laser survive even temporarily after all that? Table sanitizer in the laser? We all like a clean output but come on now... Did you bring the laser in for a science class? Presentations? Just for fun? lol

A dead pump diode or any other cause of insufficient pump power could result in IR output only. A faulty switch, for example, could make a rattling sound and if the electrical contact is poor, result insufficient power to the diode (I've seen this with some cheap lasers I've repaired).

Misalignment could certainly be a cause but until Sowee7 described it being thrown across the room, I thought that was unlikely.
Manual alignment isn't easy but is possible. After all, these small modules seem to be assembled manually to begin with. As long as all the components are present and undamaged, it's just a matter of carefully moving things back into their working positions.
A long time ago, repair of a larger 589 nm module was performed by a member here but the links to the photos are all broken.
This all sounds very extreme.

The laser casing can come apart at the gold ring. There is usually a little adhesive helping to secure the friction fit of the module inside the casing so it can be difficult to disassemble without damaging anything. Having the right tools will help.
If you attempt to take it apart, avoid twisting anything. The laser module is made from two parts that are threaded together. Twisting may separate these pieces unexpectedly or tighten and bind the threads (aluminum binds easily). Twisting can also break the leads to the diode off of the driver, since the driver is held in place by a plastic *thing* to support it inside the battery tube.

Sowee7

I wish there was a laughing + sad react. Did the laser survive even temporarily after all that? Table sanitizer in the laser? We all like a clean output but come on now... Did you bring the laser in for a science class? Presentations? Just for fun? lol
Brought it for a science class to explain about SFG. It worked for about a month after that with a beam that was mode hopping a lot I knew it was a matter of time until it dies.

Sowee7

A dead pump diode or any other cause of insufficient pump power could result in IR output only. A faulty switch, for example, could make a rattling sound and if the electrical contact is poor, result insufficient power to the diode (I've seen this with some cheap lasers I've repaired).

Misalignment could certainly be a cause but until Sowee7 described it being thrown across the room, I thought that was unlikely.
Manual alignment isn't easy but is possible. After all, these small modules seem to be assembled manually to begin with. As long as all the components are present and undamaged, it's just a matter of carefully moving things back into their working positions.
A long time ago, repair of a larger 589 nm module was performed by a member here but the links to the photos are all broken.

This all sounds very extreme.

The laser casing can come apart at the gold ring. There is usually a little adhesive helping to secure the friction fit of the module inside the casing so it can be difficult to disassemble without damaging anything. Having the right tools will help.
If you attempt to take it apart, avoid twisting anything. The laser module is made from two parts that are threaded together. Twisting may separate these pieces unexpectedly or tighten and bind the threads (aluminum binds easily). Twisting can also break the leads to the diode off of the driver, since the driver is held in place by a plastic *thing* to support it inside the battery tube.
It does sound extreme but it did happen, idk how it worked after that but it wasn't stable. It broke after a very very small drop on carpet

Commander J. Bloodmaker

If that was done to me, I'd be expelled from that school for sending a punk to the ER. That's just me though, I give back what I'm given.... That kid wouldn't come near me again or touch my stuff.