Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 445nm build custom DIY

Jim

Had a shock a few weeks ago, last time I was on this site Bluray was the latest thing. "A watt of BRIGHT blue for a few notes!!??"

Got my bits, and some empty Cree C6 from Dx, and set about replacing the tiny pill with a decent heatsink. With over a watt, I wanted to be able to adjust the driver is neccessary. I decided on a polycarb battery contact to see and access the flex. The aixiz is recessed in with a counterbore as I cannot stand the lens nut sticking out to get damaged or adjusted.

Excuse the phone cam pics, and its not finished yet, I need to find something to plate the contacts with as the copper will corrode.

Attachments

• IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG0140.jpg
    IMAG0140.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0138.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMAG0139.jpg
    IMAG0139.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Jim

Re: My 445nm build

Thanks, I think I may be able to use a gold coin as a cathode, I will look it up.

Jim

So, I tried that and it seems I dont have the right chemicals..

So tomorrow I will get a stainless steel M3x6 cd stud and use that. The drivers are set up and soldered, just need to stick it together.

It seems everyone here only cares about off the shelf kits made by xxxxx post members, assembled by cheerleading noobs?

Last edited:
Very nice build! Always good to see different designs. :D I quite like your polycarb disk. It just looks great even if one didn't plan to adjust it
Tho your aware the flexdrive pot is only rated for a few adjustments right? It seems the boostdrive would be a better fit for your design as its pot is more robust.

Give people a few days first to come by. Plus beamshots always attract more.
It seems everyone here only cares about off the shelf kits made by xxxxx post members, assembled by cheerleading noobs?

Jim

Oh, i'd hoped it would handle a lot more tweaking than that? Has anybody broken their pot? I think the microboosts pot is near the center though, right where my + connection goes. The option is there I suppose though.

No beamshots of this laser, but I just posted a thread of my first 445, some beams on there. I may get the smoke machine and mirrorball out tonight tho, and definitly when these are finished. :D

Great job on the build. :wave:

However, the tiny pot is not meant for frequent adjustment. It will eventually wear out. I would recommend you "set it and forget it" to avoid any problems with the driver.

I like to see other peoples' machining. It gives me ideas. I like the battery contact mounting. I usually use old perf board -- those look nice.
Maybe a jewler could plate a small part for a few$.

HMike

Jim

Cheers guys, It seems fine tbh, for now at least. I did manage to get a bit of gold on the tip, its barely visible. If the copper loses it connection I will swap it for a small stainless stud.

I've now just cranked it right up, and will leave it there, it goes through cardboad in seconds unfocused. Last time I use it til the glass lenses come.

More pics, had to use the mini, the green just dissapeared with this one.

I need a big red! And some scanners... Mwahahaha! ;)

I finished machining a new heatsink combo for the A140 diode and V1 micro boost driver. I potted the driver onto a aluminum bar and then potted the bar and driver assembly into the 50 gram finned aluminum heatsink. Note I kept the adjustment exposed for adjusting later. This assembly will go into a DX host.
I am now waiting on lenses.

Attachments

• 445nm-1.jpg
    445nm-1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 445nm-2.jpg
    445nm-2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 148

Morgan

Not true, my friend...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/scratch-built-8x-bluray-52887.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f47/sneaky-peak-updated-17-06-10-a-51801.html

I care deeply about the bespoke!!!

Nice building. It doesn't seem just to be about the power for you. It's looks like style has something to do with it too! :cool: It may still look like any other laser built into that host but you know it's different on the inside, and that's what matters! Very nice. Keep it up.

Not too sure about the abuse suffered by that sovereign though. :eek: :tsk: :eek: Don't you know it's a criminal offense to deface British coins of the realm?!!! :evil:

I finished machining a new heatsink combo for the A140 diode and V1 micro boost driver. I potted the driver onto a aluminum bar and then potted the bar and driver assembly into the 50 gram finned aluminum heatsink. Note I kept the adjustment exposed for adjusting later. This assembly will go into a DX host.

I am now waiting on lenses.

Nice machining but this should be in a thread of your own and not jacking someone elses. Just a polite reminder. You keep it up too! ;)

M
:)

Last edited:

Jim

I finished machining a new heatsink combo for the A140 diode and V1 micro boost driver.

Nice work, I too am waiting for a decent lens.. :(

Not true, my friend...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/scratch-built-8x-bluray-52887.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f47/sneaky-peak-updated-17-06-10-a-51801.html

I care deeply about the bespoke!!!

Nice building. It doesn't seem just to be about the power for you. It's looks like style has something to do with it too! :cool: It may still look like any other laser built into that host but you know it's different on the inside, and that's what matters! Very nice. Keep it up.

The pointer is nice, respect for starting with bar stock. For around 10 bucks these hosts were great, it would have cost many times more to machine anything similar, the bar stock would have cost about the same.

And thanks for linking to an RGB build as i'm trying to avoid them, my GF is going to want to kill me if I make one.. :eek: Its the next step though, 2 LOC reds knifed or PBS'd probably, and my 75mw green is starting to look dim too.. :( The coin is fine, and F this BS fascist system anyway. :cool:

Any decent (cheapish) green modules out there?

Last edited:

Morgan

Ha!

The bar stock was an off-cut, 'liberated', by my Dad so cheap as chips! I have a couple of those hosts coming from DX too so should house a nice 445 soon. Think I'll try and go big with it, just for the crack, and then be too scared to use it but nothing's decided yet.

For modules - If you're in the UK try Odicforce for a quick delivery or for similar cash go to O-like in China but wait a bit.

Simples!

M