Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MXDL Question

yea im using 3v CR123's, and YES they do sag, and I was gonna get good batts anyways, because the CR123's I have are ALL un-protected... I wouldnt want one of them to vent..

I orderd DX Cr123 rechargables and a charger. ill hopefully have them in a couple weeks. I have found that when you add "drop shipment" (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1888) the item arrives in no more than 10 days, I got one of my drop shipped packages in 8 days, and the other in 10. However, I have had some packages go over 10 days with drop, its all luck I guess. The one thing this does do is it makes customs faster! ;D

regards,

amk

*lights matches with kick ass MXDL laser as he types*

chido

Gazoo said:
I saw a post by member02 and he said the spring from the aixiz module ruined his open can. Maybe he wasn't careful when he put the spring in, or maybe it got cockeyed or something as he was focusing. So be careful about that. Here is the link to the thread he posted in along with some great pics of the LG heatsink...lol

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1197256345/11

If using a meredith module this is of no concern.
Hey amk, did you do anything about this, or did you just leave the spring as it was? Can you really kill your open can because of the spring?

Oh, and I remember when I got my braces a couple years ago, the first week was hell, I could barely eat anything and the pain was really unconfortable, I had to eat the same stuff my grandma ate LOL ;D Anyway I hope you get better dude. :)

jayrob

Man, those are some good looking MXDLs! Glad to see you have made good use of the heatsinks. Gazoo, I found the same problem with the 3 volt batteries. And it called to mind what you had said all along. Need the RCR123 rechargeables!. Hey amk, if I were you, I would go ahead and cut off the back of the module case so there is more room inside, that way you can have the silicon diode and cap. Especially since we are pushing these things...
Jay

jayrob said:
Looking good guys! Glad to see you have made good use of the heatsinks. Gazoo, I found the same problem with the 3 volt batteries. And it called to mind what you had said all along. Need the RCR123 rechargeables!. Hey amk, if I were you, I would go ahead and cut off the back of the module case so there is more room inside, that way you can have the silicon diode and cap. Especially since we are pushing these things...
Jay

I have the silicon diode soldered directly onto the diode itself, just no cap. I should get a dremel and cut off the back, I know what you mean... I cant wait to finish my DIY LPM, that way I can say how many mW's this thing is putting out! ;D

I didnt do anything about the spring, because if you look closely, the sensitive parts of the diode are "surrounded", and I see absolutely no phisical way the spring can do damage, unless it was carelessly inserted. If your careful when inserting the spring, ur okay.

more pics:

Dot on white surface compared to overclocked <1mW DX red (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1101) (I put in more batteries than I am supposed to, and hence making it brighter)
img2906hl2.jpg

the bright dot that has flooded my camera (the real dot is focused to a very small dot) is the MXDL, and the pitiful red glow next to it is the DX laser

chido said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1201570557/45#50 date=1202114317]I saw a post by member02 and he said the spring from the aixiz module ruined his open can. Maybe he wasn't careful when he put the spring in, or maybe it got cockeyed or something as he was focusing. So be careful about that. Here is the link to the thread he posted in along with some great pics of the LG heatsink...lol

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1197256345/11

If using a meredith module this is of no concern.
Hey amk, did you do anything about this, or did you just leave the spring as it was? Can you really kill your open can because of the spring?

[/quote]

I didnt do anything about the spring, because if you look closely, the sensitive parts of the diode are "surrounded", and I see absolutely no phisical way the spring can do damage, unless it was carelessly inserted. If your careful when inserting the spring, ur okay.

This pic by Dr. Lava helps explain what I mean:

chido

Oh, ok thanks for your answer amk, I got a senkat diode, but since it might be from the bad batch it might die sooner than expected so I think I'll get an open can when it dies. ;D

chido said:
Oh, ok thanks for your answer amk, I got a senkat diode, but since it might be from the bad batch it might die sooner than expected so I think I'll get an open can when it dies. ;D

trust me, ull like your open can

chido

What do you mean sell it? I won't get the open can until my senkat diode goes to LD heaven.;D I can't sell a dead diode.

Gazoo

amkdeath said:

Now I am more interested in the length of the chip on those two diodes and what it means? I didn't notice it until DR.Lava brought it up here:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202158967

I am sure the diode I harvested from the 112D has a full length chip, and the one I harvested out from the 115D is put together and I really don't want to take it apart. But I would assume it has a full length chip since the electrical characteristics and the output of the diodes were almost exactly the same.

Gazoo said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1201570557/60#68 date=1202424037]

Now I am more interested in the length of the chip on those two diodes and what it means? I didn't notice it until DR.Lava brought it up here:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202158967

I am sure the diode I harvested from the 112D has a full length chip, and the one I harvested out from the 115D is put together and I really don't want to take it apart. But I would assume it has a full length chip since the electrical characteristics and the output of the diodes were almost exactly the same.

[/quote]

we wont know untill we find a sure way to identify these open cans, like a code or something, and untill we find a spec sheet.

"I have the silicon diode soldered directly onto the diode itself, just no cap"

I would stop using it until you put one on.. a cap is a must have, especialy since lithium batterys tend to have high spikes.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

wooooooolazer said:
"I have the silicon diode soldered directly onto the diode itself, just no cap"

I would stop using it until you put one on.. a cap is a must have, especialy since lithium batterys tend to have high spikes.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

ya, I ether gotta buya micro cap, or buy a dremel, saw off the back of the aixiz module, and then solder on my cap.

VIDS!!!:

MATCHES:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIBpjjbVarU[/media]

BEAM:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Dgyi31Vek[/media]

bcroft

@ Gazoo, what resistor did you use to get 350mA's? 3-4 Ohms?  come to think about it i would love to know what you use for your whole setup, if you dont mind.  

bcroft said:
@ Gazoo, what resistor did you use to get 350mA's? 3-4 Ohms?  come to think about it i would love to know what you use for your whole setup, if you dont mind.  

3 ohm resistor would give you 420mA, and with 420mA you get 300mW out of an open can.

3.5 ohms would give you around 350mA

just do 1.25 / (resistor value) = mA

(the ref voltage of an LM317t is 1.25v)