Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MXDL Question

bcroft

thanks amk, i was trying to remember that equation and couldnt, i tried plugging in #'s. didnt work of course. how would i get a 3.5 Ohm resistor they dont make .5's do they?

bcroft said:
thanks amk,  i was trying to remember that equation and couldnt, i tried plugging in #'s.  didnt work of course.  how would i get a 3.5 Ohm resistor they dont make .5's do they?
dont they make 7 ohm resistors? if so you could do 2 of them in parallel.
Al

put a 3 ohm resistor in series with 2 1ohms in parallel:
|-------(1 ohm)------|
---(3 ohm)---| |--------
|-------(1 ohm)------|

that would give you 3.5 ohms

amkdeath said:
put a 3 ohm resistor in series with 2 1ohms in parallel:
|-------(1 ohm)------|
---(3 ohm)---|    |--------
|-------(1 ohm)------|

thats so cool the way you did that, i was going to suggest that but when i went on that resistor quiz site that was mentioned in the forum i got confused because they told me my calculation was in correct. here was the problem..
|---22 ohm---|
---27 ohm---| |------- ?
|---22 ohm---|

my answer was 38 ohms and the quiz said I was wrong, but wouldnt give me the right answer. if 38 is wrong, than what is right and how did you arrive at that #
Alan

also how do you calculate the 300mW for the open can? is there an equation to do this and what are the variables/constants??
Alan

jayrob

aces4al said:
also how do you calculate the 300mW for the open can? is there an equation to do this and what are the variables/constants??
Alan

I can tell you that Gazoo and I both have achieved similar results with the open can diodes. Running them at 350mA's will give you about 200mW's or so. A 3 ohm resistor (420mA's) will give you about 250mW's. These results are using an acrylic lens. Using a Meredith glass lens, the power will be about 50mW's higher...
Jay

aces4al said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1201570557/75#82 date=1202964031]put a 3 ohm resistor in series with 2 1ohms in parallel:
|-------(1 ohm)------|
---(3 ohm)---|    |--------
|-------(1 ohm)------|

thats so cool the way you did that, i was going to suggest that but when i went on that resistor quiz site that was mentioned in the forum i got confused because they told me my calculation was in correct. here was the problem..
 |---22 ohm---|
---27 ohm---| |------- ?
 |---22 ohm---|

my answer was 38 ohms and the quiz said I was wrong, but wouldnt give me the right answer. if 38 is wrong, than what is right and how did you arrive at that #
Alan[/quote]

38 is correct

bcroft said:
does the MXDL have a push button on the end or is it a twist on?

push button.

LOL i had my hands in the wrong place on the key board, and push button came out as "Bush" button.... Strange...

regards,

amk

bcroft

also i need to get some clarification with this mod. i am using DDL driver with 2 rcr123. do i take out the star emittor thing and the bat contact board and all of that and just hook my DDL to the bat and thats it? or do i need to include the bat contact board in it. thinkin about i probly do so where do i include that board in the driver?

bcroft said:
also i need to get some clarification with this mod.  i am using DDL driver with 2 rcr123.  do i take out the star emittor thing and the bat contact board and all of that and just hook my DDL to the bat and thats it?  or do i need to include the bat contact board in it.  thinkin about i probly do so where do i include that board in the driver?

look at my first pot on this thread. this thread was MADE for that question LOL.

you keep the bat contact board in. screw the emmiter.

solder your LM317T to your batt contact board....

Gazoo

Yup. You will know when you get the MXDL. You will use the PC board that comes with the MXDL and solder your 317 to it. The other side of the PC board is where the positive end of the battery makes contact. It's really easy. After I cut off the top of the 317 I soldered one end of the resistor and cap to it which was easier for me.

man, I almost killed my MXDL open can laser just now... I would have been so pissed at my self if I did....

What rating are those caps that you are using there(the orange caps). The highest rating ceramic caps i can find are 0.22uF 50v. Are these what you are using in this mod?