Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MW pulse laser

ARG

AnslemFanZero is a member here, if you do want one you can PM him...

Just keep in mind that these pulsed lasers are incredibly dangerous.

...and not just from the direct beam path either. The reflected energy is incredible, yet so fast you'll never see it clearly.

joeyss

Would a beam expander work well with this provided you have it special coated to pass as much light as possible and take the high temperature?

I'd also love to eventually get my hands on one of these. However for now it's a little low on my laser wish list, mostly because they don't come cheaply. :)

Would a beam expander work well with this provided you have it special coated to pass as much light as possible and take the high temperature?

It could be done but it would lower the power "density" drastically unless it was some kind of 1.1000020105x beam expander.

Someone commented on his video asking about the divergence and the guy responded confirming my suspicions that this thing has horrid beam divergence. See this thing is cool but you need to take into consideration the fact that if you focus it at a specific distance and then change the distance by just a few inches or just back up 1 foot the beam is going to be extremely defocused and you wont be blasting holes in anything which is one of the reasons a legitimate laser gun capable of blasting holes in people is extremely difficult. You would need to have a beam powerful enough to be put through a beam expander and not lose power even with increased beam width. Oh and then there's the matter of a power source that will last more than one shot that isn't the size the size of a small garage. Then the issue of rayleigh scattering, cooling. When you think about it this is the most successful laser gun

YAL-1A-ABL-USAF-1.jpg

Not exactly what I would call compact.

Last edited:

doggy

actually, id like more to see how he did it, ie flashlamps? type? , or how to get that pulse so short, its very hard to get descriptions out there...(maybe for obvious reasons)

and wouldnt proper lensing fix that divergence thing? couldnt he "straighten" the pulse like my "pen size green laser pointer so the beam is more linear, but still effective?

also if i got IR glasses for one of these would i need to like "double up" or something?

actually, id like more to see how he did it, ie flashlamps? type? , or how to get that pulse so short, its very hard to get descriptions out there...(maybe for obvious reasons)
It's a Q-switched YAG laser, look at wikipedia or sams laserfaq for more info

and wouldnt proper lensing fix that divergence thing?
Probably not, my guess it that it's a multimode laser and you can't improve beam quality with a lens.

couldnt he "straighten" the pulse like my "pen size green laser pointer so the beam is more linear, but still effective?
Your pen size green laser isn't pulsed. And how do you straighten a pulse? Grab it by the two ends and pull?

also if i got IR glasses for one of these would i need to like "double up" or something?
Define "double up".