Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MT-G2 builds

Well Ive been meaning to post this for a while now...well actually nearly 2 years! I just never got around to posting.:whistle:

I have actually made 5 of these in the meantime and this time I decided to take some pics, so that Id have something to post!

Ok so the host I used in the latest build was a Convoy 8 (the new version).

SKU240575b.jpg

This is a fantastic EDC and very well built. Here are a couple of links both are the new version C8:

Gray-Convoy-C8

COnvoy C8 black

I also built one with one of these :)

41ojUXKFgiL._SX466_.jpg

LustFire-K08

The latter is a much bigger beast for significantly longer run times and better throw and flood. It takes 2 x 26650 and the head is much larger and also deeper.

The driver I used in all of these builds was the Nanjg-105C-3040mA version.

You will also need:
MT-G2 on copper base plate
380 AMC chips
Zener diodes
200 Ohm Resistor
AW22 gauge silicone wire
and thermal epoxy
some solder
soldering iron
and a steady hand. ;)

You will need to remove the spring on the base first, with a little heat from the iron and an pair of thin pliers. The leads will need to be replaced to so you can de-solder them.

yNkY7BC.jpg

Epoxy an AMC chip on top of each of the 8 chips on the board. At present the driver gives 3040 mA, so doubling the current will give twice this! ;)

6sVROzg.jpg

We need to first prepare the driver for testing and use. Next to the positive diode output you need to move the small polarity protection diode and replace it with a single 200 Ohm SMD resistor. (2000 resistor next to red wire)

sNqKRo2.jpg

Then we need to add the Zener diode across the capacitor on the back of the driver you need to check that the cathode (side with line) is soldered to the cap and the other end the anode goes to ground.

nE3AQD2.jpg

Now solder each of the metal ground pads at the back of the chips to the ground pads below. Once this is complete solder the right hand side pin to the right hand side pin on the chip below. Do the same for the LHS pins on the chips. Leave the middle ones as these are the ground pins again. This can also be seen in the pics directly above and below.

698I0n6.jpg

Whilst doing this it is best to solder each chip individually and test. This way you can discover any problems and rectify them before moving on. Its difficult if you've soldered everything up first and then test, as you wont know which of the 8 newly soldered chips is not soldered properly...:tinfoil: Finally remember to select your modes by soldering the respective star to ground in my case I chose; High 5.8 A, Med 2.5 A, Low 0.3 A. The stars and their functions are explained on the Kaidomain page for the driver (link above).

This is the back of the pill in the new C8, it is no longer removable. In the bottom of the picture and in the next one you can see a small copper heat sink cut from a copper rod. This was epoxied to the base of the pill/head to help remove heat from the MT-G2. It tends to get hot quickly at 8.4 V and 6 A! :evil:

Ean19NW.jpg

X8VxNyC.jpg

The copper block was cut to the right height so that I could simply glue the driver to it.

fIZLizk.jpg

and here with the driver in place.

M55y4xq.jpg

You will note that as you cant remove the pill you will need to make your wires longer or it will be very difficult to solder the wires to the MT-G2 inside the head of the light. The heat sinking is good! ;) Remember to add plenty of thermal paste between the back of the copper base plate and the pill mount!

qyVkM1N.jpg

The wires and contacts were then covered with electrical tape to tidy things up and prevent shorts against the aluminium reflector.

blxRMSp.jpg

Here is a pic with the reflector in place.

LqkhXIy.jpg

The light is incredibly bright and most people have measured the MT-G2 at around 3000 lumens at 6 A. I cant measure the lumens but it is bindingly bright, even the reflection from a white wall a 3-4 m away hurts the eyes...

I will update in a few days with more pics.:san:

Have fun building if you want to try this and need any help or info just send me a PM. :beer:

Last edited:

Cool flashlight build, wouldn't mind seeing some shots of the output too. Also pictures are big, you might get some complaints about that.

Hi EP, I actually resized them to 2 MP just as I have always done? :thinking: Lets see what the others say, if they complain Ill reduce them to 1 MP? :)

Ill try to get some pics up in a day or two - including the output. :beer:

Last edited:

BobMc

Nice flashlight mod, 3000 lumens insanely bright. Nice pics also,. :gj:

What would you say about installing this LED as a secondary light on the handlebars of a dirt bike?
Without a reflector (or with the right type), would it be bright enough to illuminate a wide angle out to 15m or more?
I'd like a robust light I can use while on dirt roads in the evening at low speeds. I haven't worked out what housing to use but I've been looking for bright, efficient LEDs.

Pictures a little blurred apart ... it's really a beautiful job and a great construction :gj:

I thought it would eventually become a laser pointer and not an flashlight.... IMO

Nice flashlight mod, 3000 lumens insanely bright. Nice pics also,. :gj:

Very nice, I like super bright FL's too. ;)

Thanks guys! They are fun to build too :) Its great walking through a dark forest and then lighting them up :) Only problem with the C8 is the capacity of the 2 x IMR 18350s needed to run it. This is why the bigger Lustfire host is better for much longer run times. Both get very hot though!

What would you say about installing this LED as a secondary light on the handlebars of a dirt bike?
Without a reflector (or with the right type), would it be bright enough to illuminate a wide angle out to 15m or more?
I'd like a robust light I can use while on dirt roads in the evening at low speeds. I haven't worked out what housing to use but I've been looking for bright, efficient LEDs.

Shouldn't be a problem the led is quite big so it floods very well. If you want to enhance this go for a wide but shallow reflector. 15 m isn't a problem ;) Just remember it will need very good heat sinking at this current so it would be best housed in something with fins - active cooling when you are moving.

Pictures a little blurred apart ... it's really a beautiful job and a great construction :gj:

Yup sorry the pics aren't that great, they were taken on my phone in low light whilst building. They were however meant to serve more as informational than pretty! ;)

Last edited:

BobMc

Think I might just try this build myself. Thanks for all the links. Will grab the larger one for better run time. Checked, can order everything expect the "steady hand" checked eBay, Craig's list, local paper could find any. :crackup: :)

The steady hand is priceless ;) lol If you need any help, just shoot me a PM. One thing I forgot is a magnifying glass for soldering. The pins on the chips are tiny! :beer:

BobMc

The steady hand is priceless ;) lol If you need any help, just shoot me a PM. One thing I forgot is a magnifying glass for soldering. The pins on the chips are tiny! :beer:

I'll order everything and give it a go. If I get stuck, I'll give you a shout. :thanks:

Last edited: