Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MS Envy - New Generation of Magic Stick Hosts - Prototyping 26650/18650 Host thread!

IsaacT

Be careful with the modules. Mine were a little too tight of a fit and the modules warped. That's how I lost a PL520 diode. U may have to widen the hole somewhat.

sinner

My condolances on the 520nm WBS, So for an easier build a set-screw would be preferable and 12mm (11.90mm) hole can be 0.03mm wider for easy pressing, but that compromises the thermal transfer as compared to a press, wont it..

IsaacT

Yes, a pressfit is better for a long term build, but builders should just be aware that modules can vary somewhat in their actual diameters and that each build is unique, some requiring slight modification to existing parameters. Nothing most people cannot handle. But something which if unknown may cause various side effects, including huffing, puffing, and possibly even death(of the diode).

My condolances on the 520nm WBS, So for an easier build a set-screw would be preferable and 12mm (11.90mm) hole can be 0.03mm wider for easy pressing, but that compromises the thermal transfer as compared to a press, wont it..

Yeah, why are people obsessed with set screws? They're easy, but then you only get a tiny little line of thermal contact instead of all-around. What about a clam design, where aixiz is sandwiched between two halves, or C-shape where the C is tightened down around aixiz? What about using the threads on the rear of the aixiz? Or a threaded diode retaining ring like on meredith modules (iirc)? Maybe even some aixiz clones with better tolerances, so that you can tighten up the tolerances for the 12mm hole too.

I like the checkers, and I bet you could half-fill the recesses with glow powder and epoxy to serve as an indicator of what color diode it houses, and still have decent grip ;-) Personally, I like tritium vials, the common little indicator ones. @ ~1.6x5mm

also, 18650 ftw :san: Good choice :)

Well, just wanted to encourage you to not go the set-screw route only ;)

sinner

Some great suggestions Bshanahan14 , Couldnt agree more on the choice of 18650's with the modern day panasonic's 3400mAh batteries you can get excellent capacity and higher discharge rates which is close to a 4000mAh 26650 TF battery sacrificing little to nothing on the capacity, and secondly they are pretty common i am sure every hobbyist has them , and more quantities than they could use :D

I am also concerned with the set-screw type heatsinks, They are actually an ancient but do-able design because people didnot wanted to build super overdriven super-spec 3Watters when they started to sell, And a140/m140's were basically the ones which were in consideration hence, nobody (except a few custom made h/s) bothered to develop an efficient design upgrade,

I do understand the laser hobbyist scene, and i am actually keeping abreast on these requirements even if a diode comes out that takes 5Amps at 5W(one can hope) , I'm desiging the 26650 version to handle a dual driver build as long as its dimensions are less than 25x25mm (25mm Round, Each! For instance SXB-II V8, Who know's we're going to need two of them paralelled sometime soon! :D

About the Clam design , I'm not sure how to go about that since the machine work on the heatsink should be kept as simple as possible (IMO), Overtightening would be an issue otherwise..

Lastly, Thermal resistance on the press-fit is so low that it CAN efficiently handle the heat generated from the diode to the host's entire aluminium mass!

Yeah, why are people obsessed with set screws? They're easy, but then you only get a tiny little line of thermal contact instead of all-around. What about a clam design, where aixiz is sandwiched between two halves, or C-shape where the C is tightened down around aixiz? What about using the threads on the rear of the aixiz? Or a threaded diode retaining ring like on meredith modules (iirc)? Maybe even some aixiz clones with better tolerances, so that you can tighten up the tolerances for the 12mm hole too.

I like the checkers, and I bet you could half-fill the recesses with glow powder and epoxy to serve as an indicator of what color diode it houses, and still have decent grip ;-) Personally, I like tritium vials, the common little indicator ones. @ ~1.6x5mm

also, 18650 ftw :san: Good choice :)

Well, just wanted to encourage you to not go the set-screw route only ;)

IsaacT

My MS-SSW stays very cool for a long time and then only gets slightly warm. My internal "oh no alarm" goes off while it is still only lukewarm to the touch. I am too used to the smaller hosts.

sinner

So after a whole month's work, I am happy to announce the MS-Envy is now finalized with a tripod mount, set screw, dual driver pill upto 17mmx17mm As well as dual round drivers.. Two versions will be out soon 18650 version, and a 26650 Version. Got my temp & lpm setup up and running so the duty cycle tests will be on it's way.. Also upgraded the springs to high quality stainless steel custom made springs..

j9stfq.jpg

2d1si86.jpg

10f83k4.jpg

2ezlqbq.jpg

174js8.jpg

I had this crappy dx tripod running arround , i took a few quick pictures! :D

1623ep1.jpg

r77uhs.jpg

Last edited:
The double driver mount is Sweet! Is there a possibility of a C-mount diode going on there? :D

~ LB

Yep :D Just putting out feelers. Soon... A couple members will have drivers ready in the near future. DTR already has the diodes in stock.

~ LB

IsaacT

Yeah...for 425 dollars lol. I don't know how soon I will be C-Mounting up.

I'm saving my pennies :) I've been pretty broke since I joined LPF. Many projects waiting for parts :rolleyes:

~ LB