Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Move Over CSI :)

Switch

Damn , man.That was one funny post! :D :D :D Who would've thought they had lasers in them, huh? :D
And a totally awesome deal.

Anyway, here's what you could do with a working DNA sequencer: sell it for a lot more and buy some damaged ones to harvest the argon tubes  :D

No but it would be cool to have a working unit if you'd know how to use it.And you could always mod it, put a hole in the side and add a mirror so you can switch to play with the argon laser beam too :D

daguin

lasernvb said:
There are working sequencers? How can they be so cheap. It looks quite big.

This was a "working" sequencer.

Research labs (especially government funded labs)and universities buy equipment new when the get a grant. When the work is done or the grant runs out they dump the equipment. It is usually without the more "useable" parts. These are examples of this. The unit is dumped, but the computer that must be hooked up to it, to run it, is retained (and probably placed in a graduate assistant's office). When/if they get another grant, they buy new again. The equipment may be part of the grant or they want the newest and most up-to-date technology available for the new work.

As I posted earlier. This thing weighs in at just under 300 pounds! That is one of the reasons that they go so cheap. "Hobbyists are the main customer base for this type of surplus equipment. Hobbyists don't like paying for freight on something that will end up over 300 pounds after crating. Plus, if you are a hobbyist only really interested in parts from the unit (like us), we are only willing to pay similar prices to what we could get just the parts for. This is also an example of that. I want the laser and the optics. I can usually get this type of laser for less than $300. I am unwilling to pay more than $300 for the unit, even thought the unit new cost well over $8,000.00! After the seller has something like this sitting in their warehouse for a year, they are willing to dump it for whatever they can get for it. If you live close enough to the seller to be able to pick it up, you can get amazing deals on this type of equipment.

Peace,
dave

daguin

Switch said:
But I thought you wanted to start your own CSI lab :-/

OH . . OH . . OH . . . .OH YEAH . . . . :eek:

<erm> THAT'S WHAT I MEANT :cool:

I would NEVER tear apart a perfectly good piece of equipment just to get a powerful, multi-line, low-hour, argon laser and a bunch of cool optics and electronics (plus $50 worth of scrap) out of it [smiley=engel017.gif]

I must have been blinded by the seven color lines emanating from that cool aqua colored beam.

I plead temporary insanity.

I will start looking for another one (under $300) immediately! ;D

Thank you for reminding me of my true dream :cool:

Peace,
dave

Hey Dave, where my dad works they might have some of these possibly sitting around in trailers. What exactly should i ask him to look for?

daguin

laserwanabe said:
Hey Dave, where my dad works they might have some of these possibly sitting around in trailers. What exactly should i ask him to look for?

A DNA sequencer :-/

You are looking for any electrophoresis DNA sequencer that uses fluorescence as markers. Basically, look into the unit and see if it has a laser warning sticker. There are units with lasers as small as 5mW in them and some with 40mW units in them. Some have single line lasers. Some have multi-line lasers. You can find the brand name and model number and research a particular unit on the net using Google. Search the make and model with "laser" or "mW". You may get a hit on an article that identifies what laser is in the unit like I did.

New life from old things ;)

Peace,
dave

Ok, thanks. I'm going to have my dad check in at work and see if he can find anything.

daguin

laserwanabe said:
Ok, thanks. I'm going to have my dad check in at work and see if he can find anything.

Do you live in Southern California ;)

Peace,
dave

Chad said:
I found another one, but it's in Baltimore... If anyone lives close enough to pick it up, I'd pay you to harvest the argon for me...  :D

I live about 15-20 minutes from baltimore! shoot me a PM!

Chad

*BUMP*

I found a source for replacement laser heads for this model sequencer... I'm awaiting a reply from them on how much they'd charge for a single replacement unit. If it's low enough... I smell a GB! :D

daguin

Chad said:
*BUMP*

I found a source for replacement laser heads for this model sequencer... I'm awaiting a reply from them on how much they'd charge for a single replacement unit. If it's low enough... I smell a GB! :D

Be prepared for "sticker shock"!

Peace,
dave

Chad

daguin said:
[quote author=Chad link=1217914231/40#44 date=1219381064]*BUMP*

I found a source for replacement laser heads for this model sequencer... I'm awaiting a reply from them on how much they'd charge for a single replacement unit. If it's low enough... I smell a GB!  :D

Be prepared for "sticker shock"!

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Oh, I know. One can always hope, eh?

Chad

Current quote for the 40mW multiline Argon head is $3800. I was expecting something like that, honestly.

You could get two 100mW 488nm sample diodes from Nichea with that money, if you have a valid business license. xD