Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Move Over CSI :)

daguin

So I've been thinking about starting my own Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) unit. In order to be competitive I figure I'm going to need my own forensics lab. I started looking for equipment. I figured, what self respecting forensics lab would be without a DNA Sequencer, so I started looking for one. I found one on eBay with a starting bid of only $190! Cool! I ended up getting it for just over $200. There was only one other bid. Maybe it was the fact that a good DNA sequencer weighs almost 300 pounds and shipping would be a bear. Luckily, the seller was only in San Diego and would allow me to pick it up. I got it today . . . . SCORE!!!

Any way, here it is
new2.jpg

new3.jpg

new4.jpg

WUT!!!!

What's that say at the bottom?
new5.jpg

What's up with that?
new6.jpg

What's that thing at the bottom?
new7.jpg

Does that say 2214-40MLA ?!?

Whoda thunk it?

Let's get that thing outta there
new8.jpg

Well I'll be dipped
new9.jpg

What do you expect to accomplish by taking it apart like that? Gosh.... now you've ruined a perfectly good DNA sequencer.

oopsie.gif

EDIT: So what is this rated at? 40mW per line?

daguin

The tube is VERY healthy.

This is what I get AT IDLE (4A)
new10.jpg

This is at 6A
new11.jpg

At 8A it adds another line between the blues, but the picture didn't come out :(

new17-1.jpg

new18.jpg

new19.jpg

new20.jpg

new14.jpg

Imma have to fire up the fog machine this week to see the real colors ;)

Peace,
dave

daguin

Oh yeah . . .numbers. It's doing 10mW at idle. It's doing 50mW at 6A. It is doing 80mW at 8A. I didn't push it any farther than that. I have a ML that is almost dead. This is much better ;) I think I'll keep it.

Peace,
dave

damn lucky, a nice multiline argon + tons of other electronic bits for only $200 :eek:

Yeah I need to start looking for DNA equip on ebay instead of argon lasers :D :D

daguin

MarioMaster said:
damn lucky, a nice multiline argon + tons of other electronic bits for only $200 :eek:

There's some interesting looking optics as well. I haven't had a chance to play with any of them yet.

PLUS, Imma make some of my money back from recycling the aluminum and scrap metal ;)

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=MarioMaster link=1217914231/0#4 date=1217915000]damn lucky, a nice multiline argon + tons of other electronic bits for only $200  :eek:

There's some interesting looking optics as well.  I haven't had a chance to play with any of them yet.

PLUS, Imma make some of my money back from recycling the aluminum and scrap metal ;)

Peace,
dave[/quote]

ooo... I bet it has the wavelength specific optics! So you can have only 457 or only 488 etc etc.

daguin

GooeyGus said:
EDIT: So what is this rated at? 40mW per line?

I don't think it breaks down as simply as that. The lines all have different apparent brightness. All of the testing and burn-in paperwork was inside the unit. The testing was done after running the laser at 7A for 5 min. It put out 135mW at 10.75A. It only tested the "green line" and the Blue line" separately. This testing was done at 10, 20, 30, & 40 milliwatts. At 40mW there was 10.6mW on the green line and 11.5 on the blue line. That leaves 18mW to split between the other four lines.

GooeyGus said:
ooo... I bet it has the wavelength specific optics! So you can have only 457 or only 488 etc etc.

It doesn't appear that this is the case. However, there are things to get it to turn a U-turn and a unit specifically designed to split the beam and to break up and focus the spectrum.

Peace,
dave

VW

That's some hardcore shit right there!  Nice!  If only they weren't so heavy, I think I would get my self one of those... What's the significance with the 2214-40MLA?

daguin

VW said:
That's some hardcore shit right there! Nice! If only they weren't so heavy, I think I would get my self one of those... What's the significance with the 2214-40MLA?

If you want argon goodness, PM me. I can put you on the trail of one in the UK.

2214 is the model -- 40 is the mW rating -- ML means that it is a "multi-line" unit. That means that it shows all the color lines available.

"SL" means that it shows only the "green". VL means that it shows only the "violet". "BL" means that it shows only the "blue"

They all use the same tube, but the optics limit the "lines" allowed through.

Peace,
dave

VW

daguin said:
[quote author=VW link=1217914231/0#10 date=1217943401]That's some hardcore shit right there!  Nice!  If only they weren't so heavy, I think I would get my self one of those... What's the significance with the 2214-40MLA?

If you want argon goodness, PM me.  I can put you on the trail of one in the UK.

2214 is the model -- 40 is the mW rating -- ML means that it is a "multi-line" unit.  That means that it shows all the color lines available.  

"SL" means that it shows only the "green".  VL means that it shows only the "violet".  "BL" means that it shows only the "blue"

They all use the same tube, but the optics limit the "lines" allowed through.

Peace,
dave[/quote]
Ah I see, cool...

If I ever get round to picking one up, I'll give you a shout...

Nice find as usual, Dave....I am beginning to think that the Ebay disease you have spawned is spreading....

How do you keep finding all these awesome deals?

That thing's huge, I'm sure you'll find LOTS of scrap goodies hiding away in there!

Ace82

MarioMaster said:

My thoughts exactly :eek: !

SenKat_Stonetek said:
Nice find as usual, Dave....I am beginning to think that the Ebay disease you have spawned is spreading....

I feel ya! My friend has the same disease, we have a bran new 50" plasma for $500 (picked up in LA) He bought a $3,000 300" projector for $1000 and sold for $2000, and much more, he finds all kinds of electronics for a fraction of the cost. Maybe if I spent as much time on ebay as I do LPF... ;D