Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mother of all red diodes

Hi forum,

I just finished mounting the mother of all red diodes. It is a custom-manufactured 635nm laser diode with an output power of perhaps 10 watts or more. Its lasing threshold is a whopping 4.5A, yet my power supply is only capable of 9. I'm sure it could handle at least 15. :)

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Now the question I have for y'all is, what shall I build with it? Apart from a monochromatic room, that is!

Last edited:

To run it in CW you need to actively cool that thing. Looks like it would take some custom optics too. The driver for it won't be cheap either. Looks like it has a large emitter. That is certainly something most people around here don't have. :yh:

Encap

None of your pictures show anything you could take rough beam or divergence detail guesstimates from.

Does it actually emit a beam? I just see a very large dot on a wall in the room in the photo taken outdoors?
Either way it looks like custom optics would be needed as Paul has mentioned.

You could try making a lab style laser with it if you can get the beam and divergence under control and find a correct driver.

sweet cheezits... and i thouhgt my 1w red build was going to be bright as hell... 10w of 638 is 2.69x brighter than a 1w green

BobMc

Yep, that would solve the need for a brighter red. I want one in a hand held. :D

Where did you snag that...:eek: And how much $$$
if you don't mind me asking...

Jerry

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
That just looks like a extreme red LED ATM. Imagine when that thing is collimated into a beam. :drool:

This image made me laugh :D

QWRi_VZs.jpg

Could you imagine what anyone outside is thinking.
Being abducted by a UFO with a red tractor beam? :crackup:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Last edited:

Encap

Must be an LED.

The output does look very much like a very bright LED, more so than a laser. 9W laser with no visible beam?
Appears to have a very large emitting bar. Hard to tell anything from the photos other than bright red light.

Could be from a bright 635nm spotlight LED or some such thing--who knows?

Maybe "grenadier" will fill in the blanks about it's origin and original use--maybe some specs.

Last edited:
I would like more information on this diode. Any information is better than none.