Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Most powerful handheld laser to buy

adehai

Hello everyone,
I am looking for the most powerful hand held laser to buy. I am mainly looking at which would be best to burn through the most items. I also live in the U.S which restricts a lot of companies from shipping to me. I wouldn't be against buying the parts and putting it together myself but I would need to know where to get those parts from. Thanks

Encap

If you are not just trolling LPF with a "hit and run" question that implies no knowledge of lasers or laser safety at all----same as has been said above + if you want to "burn most items", whatever that means you would be much better off with a box of kitchen matches or any other manner of "burning" things than with a hand held laser to burn items for drama..
Rather than "burning most items", which hand held laser are very poor at, the main consideration and easiest thing to "burn" is the the retina of your eyes causing irreversible/permanent eye damage.

The main hazard of high output hand held lasers is eye damage--permanent ocular damage in less time than the human blink reflex of 0.25 seconds. If you don't have any experience and don't know what you are doing you will be an accident looking for a place to happen.

You should study up on laser safety and Laser Hazard before buying any hand held laser--see the excellent links below
Laser Hazard Chart: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

And this excellent laser safety site that covers many aspects: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

See what happened to one members eye in less than a 1 second from a 1W blue laser here: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/

Last edited:

Coonie

How does not making a welcome thread imply that you shouldn't own a powerful laser?
That makes zero sense. What you should be asking for is age. That's what matters most. Not this silly constant demanding of welcome threads

Encap

How does not making a welcome thread imply that you shouldn't own a powerful laser?
That makes zero sense. What you should be asking for is age. That's what matters most. Not this silly constant demanding of welcome threads

Welcome threads are good way to show some level of interest in lasers and otherwise ---introducing yourself so to speak as a new forum member which is why the sub-forum exists.
Anyway, it was an after thought and now removed. The point was to distinguish the OP from a hit and run troll post which is what the post seems still to be. Time will tell.

Age is a good question but good luck with asking that--every new member has to agree to the Terms Of Use from the get/go which say:
"Eligibility. You must be the age of majority as that is defined in your jurisdiction to visit or use the Website in any manner. You represent and warrant to Laser Pointer Forums that You have reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction, and that You have the right, authority and capacity to agree to and abide by this ." so...

Coonie

Well sure the TOU does provide a protection to any of us who gave information on or sold a high power laser to a minor but most don't read when they sign up anyway and many won't be honest about their age either. Technically a welcome post could be just as manufactured as stating age so in the end we really don't know.

I've come to think some of these hit and run questions are being made just to keep the forum alive, who would do that? It does not necessarily have to be an admin or forum owner. For a long time I thought we were being trolled, sometimes we are, other times I think they are a bid to keep this place alive. Not many people are attracted to a forum which has very little activity, i.e. PL.

I donno, probably doesn't apply to this one, some questions are too trollish to be someone just trying to generate activity.

Last edited:

Coonie

I highly doubt new people are coming to this forum simply to just populate it more. Unless someone has a petition that informs and urges people to do it.
But then again who knows

Encap

Well sure the TOU does provide a protection to any of us who gave information on or sold a high power laser to a minor but most don't read when they sign up anyway and many won't be honest about their age either. Technically a welcome post could be just as manufactured as stating age so in the end we really don't know.

TOU serve to protect LPF LLC. Clearly, the TOU says what any member does is their responsibility not LPF LLC's.

True about welcome posts but is a little more/something more than just a hit and run question which this one seems to be and can indicate interest in becoming a contributing member.

I've come to think some of these hit and run questions are being made just to keep the forum alive, who would do that? It does not necessarily have to be an admin or forum owner. For a long time I thought we were being trolled, sometimes we are, other times I think they are a bid to keep this place alive. Not many people are attracted to a forum which has very little activity, i.e. PL.

I donno, probably doesn't apply to this one, some questions are too trollish to be someone just trying to generate activity.

Who knows? Why or where they come up with these types of posts remain a mystery usually?
Could be any number of reasons or circumstances, so I ask the question "If not trolling....." and sometimes suggest a welcome post.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, I usually add some info about laser safety and hazards in commenting on these types of posts for the OP's information but also and perhaps as or more importantly for others looking in who may know nothing about lasers ---safety being a most important aspect of hand held laser use , much more so than "burning most items" or any "burning" capabilities

I highly doubt new people are coming to this forum simply to just populate it more. Unless someone has a petition that informs and urges people to do it.
But then again who knows

Exactly. Who knows?

Last edited:
Only the shadow knows!

latest

Hello everyone,
I am looking for the most powerful hand held laser to buy. I am mainly looking at which would be best to burn through the most items. I also live in the U.S which restricts a lot of companies from shipping to me. I wouldn't be against buying the parts and putting it together myself but I would need to know where to get those parts from. Thanks

Eye protection is the 1st thing you need to buy and use at all times, you need laser safety glasses that attenuate the wavelength you will be working with, you only get one pair of eyes and even with all we can do medically we still can't transplant a human eye, yes we can transplant the cornea which won't help you if you burn your retina and it can happen in an instant so safety 1st and always when lasing.

--------------------

To be honest.......and not wanting to ruffle any feathers........I didn't like being told to make a welcome post, it felt like I was having to audition, like I was being judged........I'm certain it turns some new people away when we insist they do it, but I understand why others like to see them too........maybe casually ask new people once or twice and then let it slide ???

Another thing I noticed when I started reading here years ago was how people were always harping on safety, but now looking back I'm glad people did, it made me think more about safety myself and take more precautions as well as buying better safety glasses........who knows if it has saved me from any mistakes or not but I know attenuation safety glasses have been useful.

Maybe it would be better for our hobby and spreading the word about laser safety if we didn't chase some people off by demanding a welcome post ?

Last edited:

Coonie

Oh yeah I'm all for people introducing themselves and I understand some people are just socially shy when they're the subject. I think a sticky thread to suggest making a welcome thread and the reasons for making one might be a solution for it. What does everyone think?