Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Morons force a helicopter to land with green laser

Lol @ sexual frustration. Speak for yourself. Look back through this thread. Most of us have smoking hot wives or girlfriends. I even have a girlfriend on the side.

Lol @ sexual frustration. Speak for yourself. Look back through this thread. Most of us have smoking hot wives or girlfriends. I even have a girlfriend on the side.

LOL @ "Speak for yourself."!!!!

You do remember that we're on a laser forum right?:p Many/most guys on here don't have hot girlfriends... forget about two.

As for myself, yeah - never said I wasn't frustrated:eek: but sexual frustration it is not;)

I couldn't agree with you more TJ. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had to turn down some serious $$$ for the sake of others inability to responsibly operate a laser, and trust me I could really use the money, wife and kid to support with a second baby on the way!
I have given several demonstrations in the community college physics lab and in engineering classes and they all end with half a dozen people wanting me to build them "burning" lasers. I'm glad to see people taking interest but let’s face it, most people probably aren't responsible enough to operate any laser over 5mw, if that.
Keep on keepin' it real TJ:beer:

Obviously there is more important things than money. I couldnt live with myself knowing I gave a person something to intentionally hurt other people with.

:beer:

Sajid

On this topic, a while back, I was at a function with a bunch of my friends. I went there around five minutes after my 50mW green came. Being the idiot I was, I didn't take it out of my pocket. So when we got there, and were waiting for the professors to show up (one of which had a red presentation pointer). I was telling them about it, and the first two things out of there mouths were "does it burn stuff?" and "point it at that guy over there!" I had to say that, yes, it burns stuff, and no, I wouldn't point it at anybody, and then had to go about telling them how dangerous laser pointers really are.

they sort of got it. :(

bitrat

Well, it'll only take one incident of an aircraft crashing with death/injury or someone assaulted and blinded with one of these to make the laws comparable to gun laws.
And as the technology matures, we'll see relatively inexpensive multiwatt lasers of all frequencies available. The US military already has some for special ops.
Get 'em while you can, just a matter of time 'till possession of 100 mw and up lasers is a felony IMHO.....

Benm

Well, the problem is that criminals may actually use lasers when they read reports like this.

If all police helicopters land if you point a laser at them, it would be very logical from any fleeing suspect to do exactly that. I do wonder if they would actually evade a laser-waving man on the run, or if they only land if they can press charges agaisnt relatively innoncent idiots pointing at helicopters...

If they make it policy to avoid laser beams under any circumstance, a $20 helicoper-remover would probably be a big selling item among criminals ;)

They deserve what ever they get, idiots :pop:

I wasn't there so I don't know there motive or what went down but it dose seem
kinda strange that 4 people can be charged with this crime when only one person
was pushing the button.

Last edited:

Benm

Well, charged doesnt mean convicted... thats for the court to decide if it ever goes to trial. As long as they don't all testify the same person was holding the laser, i reckon there will be a big problem proving which person is guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

I suppose we will never hear from it again, or perhaps they agree to settle for a fine each and leave it at that.

Johnyz

If something like that happened here, they would be facing up to 10000000 CZK fine (about $600000) :whistle:

Benm

In the US "intent" can be prosecuted.

It can be in most jurisdictions, but it would be rather difficult to prove that a person that was not operating the laser still had the criminal intent to shoot down a helicopter.

Perhaps neglect could be proven, although i think that's a long shot: Surely the other 3 people could have prevented the other person from pointing the laser at the helicopter, but this would not be an offence unless they knew that pointing the laser at the helicopter jeopardized the lives of those on board.

I would be surprised if anyone were to be found guilty in this whole ordeal, unless 3 of the 4 people rat the other one out and a judge believes that story beyond doubt.