Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

More bad press for HH Lasers

In todays news...(Newser) – Laser-pointer attacks are a serious and growing problem for US military pilots in the Middle East, the Wall Street Journal reports. The Pentagon is acknowledging for the first time just how much of a problem the simple devices have caused aircrews, predominantly in Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan, where the bulk of some 350 laser-related incidents have occurred in the last seven months alone. That nearly matches the roughly 400 reported laser-beam attacks in 2017. By this year's end, the tally should at least equal the peak of 700 recorded attacks in 2015. The problem is that pointers give users an affordable and effective way to distract pilots, putting their lives at risk.
While the WSJ report is the first public disclosure by US officials of laser-attack numbers, they've made the news before. Earlier this year, the Pentagon said a formal complaint was issued to China over the use of lasers near a US military base in Djibouti. Those lasers were directed at aircraft and resulted in minor injuries to two American pilots. Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said the US was confident that Chinese nationals from a nearby Chinese base were responsible for the laser attacks, the AP reported. Per the Hill, the phenomenon is still more commonly seen by commercial pilots, who the FAA says reported 2,800 laser-related incidents between January 2018 and June 2018.

one comment.. since these aircrafts are armed-- why not shoot at lasers source.. good thinking IMHO:tsk::tsk::tsk:

:whistle:

:lasergun: ...:gun:

Last edited:

This is something most anyone could see coming a mile away. I would think these cheap laser pointers are in the 445nm and 532nm wavelengths mostly. Having goggles to eliminate any flash blindness would seem to be the way to go here. I would think that these laser strikes must be coming from fairly close to where planes are taking off and landing. If they get too far away, you lose the ability to flash blind in the divergence of these lasers.

Last edited:

Benm

Well, there is some footage of what it actually looks like from a pilots perspective:

Egyptian Laser Protest From POV of Helicopter | RTM - RightThisMinute

This footage is from the arab spring in egypt, with a huge mass of people pointing their laser pointers at army helicopters flying over at fairly low altitude - not to harm them but as a sign of celebration.

These are hundreds, perhaps thousands of green lasers purposely being aimed at those helicopters. Not a single pilot reported any injury from them afaik. And yeah, most of them are just hitting the bottom of the helicopters, but some of them will surely have been hitting the pilots as well considering the size of the mass of people and the layout of cairo.

Probably nobody complained about it since those people on the ground where celebrating with the military flying those helicopters, and their pilots might have enjoyed the appreciative light show given by the crowd below ;)

It is much easier to saturate a camera's sensor than to cause flash blindness to a pilot's vision. That is why comparing camera saturation to vision is like comparing apples to oranges. Yet, the commentator states that "imagine what these lasers must do to the pilots."

kecked

They do use windscreens fitted with notch filters. The new 575 isn’t account for.....
It is much more dangerous to ccd equipped devices than humans.

I was told that the helicopter video is a fake but I cant prove that or remember who told me that.

It could be faked as it seemed the the helicopter is too small to be real sized. IDK for sure though.

I've noticed the HH has been an often used abbreviation for handheld around here in the past several months. Can't say when the first time I saw it, but it has been around for a few months now at least. It is difficult to know all the abbev or slang used by all people when writing in text messages or on here, but HH has become normal around here and I recognized it in this thread immediately.

It's that damned Phone Texting that causes
that loss of the English language...I tell ya.

I got my Q and will be F around....:whistle:

Jerry

Last edited:
I have to agree with you, Jerry. Texting has likely done more to damage the English language than any other single occupation of people's time. You can see it here in posts everyday. I wonder if any other language has been bastardized to the extent English has.

Benm

It could be faked as it seemed the the helicopter is too small to be real sized. IDK for sure though.

It's real, there are countless videos of the event online, as this was a huge demonstration and a lot of people were filming with their smartphones.

Just a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeMMKmC5OOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcZRyEnCds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYYo04QE6kI

And one showing both a (semi)professional projection onto a building as well as countless dots from lasers in the crowd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnYDhltiwbs

All of this footage is from june 30, 2013, when the Egyptian persident Morsi stepped down.
You can see how the buidings and crowd match between all these videos.

Personally I can also conform that this looks like Tahrir square in Cairo, as i have been there several times (not during protests or war, but as a tourist). It's actually very close to the national museum.