Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Modding a barcode scanner for liquid sky?

Hey all. I work at a point of sale hardware/software company and can possibly get my hands on a few old/broken POS Scanners to rip out the mirrors/optics. There are two models I have in mind, one produces the solid line and another produces the rotating grid pattern like you see at the box scanners in supermarkets.

Anyone have any experience with this? Think its possible? I'm sure it would be ghetto rigged because I'm not the craftiest person but it should be possible.

ls9203.jpg

LS9203 produces a rotating grid pattern

images

LS2208 produces a solid line.

ls5800M.jpg

produces a rotating grid and would most likely be the easiest to rip apart for the optics.

Any suggestions?

You better open it up and look inside. You can probably replace the laser inside easily.

Bionic-Badger said:
You better open it up and look inside.  You can probably replace the laser inside easily.
But in my opinion it would be easier to start from scratch.

Get the incounter one, it should have a HeNe gas laser inside. Also, the optics make a kick ass light show with a high powered green laser and a fog machine!

Laser Ben said:
Get the incounter one, it should have a HeNe gas laser inside. Also, the optics make a kick ass light show with a high powered green laser and a fog machine!

o_O I'm 100% certain it is just a plain ol' red diode. Maybe in my laser dreams box scanners are powered by HeNe lasers! Are you shitting me, kind sir? :)

daguin

briankeys said:
[quote author=Laser Ben link=1231205397/0#3 date=1231222282]Get the incounter one, it should have a HeNe gas laser inside. Also, the optics make a kick ass light show with a high powered green laser and a fog machine!

o_O I'm 100% certain it is just a plain ol' red diode. Maybe in my laser dreams box scanners are powered by HeNe lasers! Are you shitting me, kind sir? :)[/quote]

Some still use HeNe's. Most use diodes now.

Peace,
dave

as long as its a diode you can use(find suitable housing for) i dont see why you couldnt. it all depends on what typ of laser is in it and to find that out you pretty much have to tear it apart unless you look it up.

I had one of the ones you show in the bottom photo, it has a 6 face rotary mirror, they are all at different angles to produce multiple lines, I agree with JJJJJJJJJJ  :) start from scratch.

Regards rog8811

suiraM

How many lines, and at what angles?

And, yes, some box type barcode scanners have HeNe lasers.

I'm pretty happy about mine, and will definitely be on the lookout for others.